The idea of Masculinity: is it harmful or helpful to today's black male youth?

MrPentatonic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If anything it's the lack of masculine principles that's got young men fukked up.

Laziness, dishonour, no principles, no pride, no loyalty, bitterness and being a hater, jealousy, self doubt, responsibility avoidance, poor conflict resolution, dependency issues, attention seeking, non-competitiveness, contempt in stagnation and the harbouring of victim mentalities.

bytchmade & toxic traits. You can even see some of these traits everyday in a lot of posters

Abstract83

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Without reading the thread, My idea of masculinity as a black man is being responsible for your actions right or wrong. Standing up for yourself/ Not taking any shyt from women or men. Treating people with respect and vice versa. Be a man of ur word.

I believe masculinity is not defined by how manly u think u are. That shyt is only used to intimidate men and to impress women. Its ok to display confidence And a little arrogance as long as it's a balance of humor mixed in. Im mostly speaking about my self and how i move in this world.

The media loves to push an agenda thru movies and music to be this tough cool character that's a threat to any and everyone but a tamed beast when it comes to women (sorta like the hulk in avengers). U can destroy the world but p*ssy is the only road block that's stopping u from doing that. Its a beautiful story in fiction but in reality its getting us killed easily.

This tough image that some of us crave to imitate often gets us side track from real issues. In so many ways it makes us hate each other, hate our women, and most importantly hate ourselves. We're constantly begging for attention. We got most of these women chasing a false narrative of what they perceived a man to be. And it's being passed down thru generations. There's no one think power amongst us black men. Too much ego, attention whoring from men and women, not enough leadership mixed with intelligence and common sense being pushed these days.

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
You're speaking to my point. You really can't do much outside the norm without dudes shyttin on you, regardless of what it is. My point is be yourself. Use Prince less as an example of masculinity and more of an example of being yourself. Ever dude won't be super masculine. I think it's a ridiculous standard that we try to hold people to. Kanye is effeminate to me, hell, men I know in my personal life have feminine tendencies, but they're themselves. My one homie is a great father to his son. Shows his all the "masculine" things to do, but I know growing up people would talk shyt about him. Nonetheless, he was always himself, and that's all I really care about.
I ain't going to lie if you just said be yourself I wouldn't even quoted it was just that example where I was like nah son lol. I don't think you have to be super masculine and honestly outside of the confines of online where cats seem to see/hear the most outlandish shyt most people don't even have interactions with all these "super" masculine people. The reason is most people are just regular dudes.

Higher Tech

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gary, Indiana
I ain't going to lie if you just said be yourself I wouldn't even quoted it was just that example where I was like nah son lol. I don't think you have to be super masculine and honestly outside of the confines of online where cats seem to see/hear the most outlandish shyt most people don't even have interactions with all these "super" masculine people. The reason is most people are just regular dudes.
Im terrible at analogies and shyt like that. But yea, my whole thing is about people just being what they are and not this strange idea of masculinity.

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
Word, we gotta address this so we can go toward some solutions.
Aint no word y'all nikkas don't even talk about this shyt IRL. I bet you do though? Instead if talking about normal shyt you and all the other cats talk about make masculinity? Gotcha fam