The idea of Masculinity: is it harmful or helpful to today's black male youth?

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere
Its not attractive to women being feminine as a man. Women don't want a feminine man, even lesbian couples usually have one partner that display's masculine traits.

Dude's dont even want to be around other dudes that are feminine,:scust: Thats what makes it fearful thing if you ask me. No one whats to be something that neither women lust after or your average man wants to hang around.

But I love the company of women and femininity itself :blessed:

And why is that dislike so strong? Nature or nurture?

We know there are guys like Prince, Chris Bosh, feminine gays, I'm sure I could think of more if feminine guys weren't so shamed.

As far as nature, women's attraction fluctuates depending on their cycle.

I notice there are a lot more openly effeminine European men then AA. Metrosexuals and what not. Tho that's starting to change.

Daps
What is "being a man"? Are the standards of "being a man" harmful to black male youth or just black males overall? What are the terms associated with the idea of masculinity? do you feel any pressure if you do not conform to this idea of masculinity? what part does the media play into these things?

I just wanted to bring these issues out into the open and see if we can have an conversation, if you all want to.
nah thug culture/glorification of criminality is what's destructive to the black male and nothing is masculine about it...between fakkits Young Thug being idiolized ,fighting girls,shooting up kids/women, prison booty banditry being social norms i fail to see the masculinity in any of that fukk shyt:aicmon:if anything to problem is to many black males don't understand what it means and have been given a pass of their cowardly behavior fakkitry as like it' cnforms to what''s accepted as gangsta

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl, Ga by way of Alabama
Some people might be taught that but y'all suburban dudes gotta stop with the craziness. Outside of the first one you sound like some white person that takes pictures with black kids in foreign countries and sad thing is a lot of you cats on here be on that stupid shyt. Idgaf what y'all say y'all might be black but y'all can't convince me y'all from nowhere but the nicest of neighborhoods or in the words of Hov "you ain't live it you witnessed it from your folks pad" cause its too much stereotyping going on that reeks of cats with no connection to the situation period. The first thing you mentioned is definitely being part of a man just like getting a dude that will commit seems to be a thing for a lot of women to harp on

And yet your ENTIRE post is nothing but 1 big stereotype and even includes a Jay-Z line that suggests you're less than black if you didnt grow up in a certain environment:wow:

This is not true

Wrong. Lots of truth.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
nah thug culture/glorification of criminality is what's destructive to the black male and nothing is masculine about it...between fakkits Young Thug being idiolized ,fighting girls,shooting up kids/women, prison booty banditry being social norms i fail to see the masculinity in any of that fukk shyt:aicmon:if anything to problem is to many black males don't understand what it means and have been given a pass of their cowardly behavior fakkitry as like it' cnforms to what''s accepted as gangsta

What is masculinity?

What does it mean to be a man?

Higher Tech

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gary, Indiana
It can be unsettling because people take it too far, which I think is their own insecurity. People just have to be themselves, everybody can't be this supreme idea of masculinity, and in reality, it shouldn't be a big deal.

Im pretty sure Prince has come up in this thread but I think he's a good example. Imagine what his career would have been in he was as hyper masculine as an Ice Cube per se.

I think it's important that people are what they are. Be happy and be yourself.

Just like bruddas

Couple shooters in the cut.
Supporter
Daps
Harmful because many black boys and men based manhood on the wrong shyt.

How many women you fukk?
How many times you fight
How many times you been to jail
How much money you have
etc

at the end of the day the core values of being a man like taking care of your kids and community while having a sense of accountability aren't taught and is soon forgotten.

Reading the posts in this thread proves my point.

Blackout

just your usual nerdy brotha
Daps
Harmful because many black boys and men based manhood on the wrong shyt.

How many women you fukk?
How many times you fight
How many times you been to jail
How much money you have
etc

at the end of the day the core values of being a man like taking care of your kids and community while having a sense of accountability aren't taught and is soon forgotten.

Reading the posts in this thread proves my point.
True....

Kalik

Rasta in Babylon
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Florida / Bahamas
Able to provide a roof, and shelter for himself, without sponging off of parents, people or the government. Able to create enough economic power to be self sustained.

If he has kids, this carries onto them until they can fend for themselves. Even if kids live without him.

Suleiman Bey

Banned
Daps
If you want to keep it 100 everything about the "black community" is detrimental. The so called enlightened folks are even worse off than the ignorant ones

Suleiman Bey

Banned
Daps
Able to provide a roof, and shelter for himself, without sponging off of parents, people or the government. Able to create enough economic power to be self sustained.

If he has kids, this carries onto them until they can fend for themselves. Even if kids live without him.
You know killers, thugs, drug dealers & scammers do all of this too. Doesn't make them role models, but in most cases they are for those exact reasons you listed.

NoChillJones

Banned
Daps
Ho estly
What is masculinity?

What does it mean to be a man?

Honestly being a man doesnt have shyt to do with masculinity. It comes down having the heart to stand in this world by yourself. To put others on your back and unselfishly carry them with you on your journey. Its accepting the role of a man. That has nothing to do with sexuality... What you indentify as... Or what you believe in. Are you man enough to accept the challenge of man hood. Look through fear and stand tall no matter the consequence. And know when to walk away regardless of how your looked at by others.

mrken12

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Maryland
There are laws being passed allowing men in dresses to use female bathrooms and you make this dumbass thread? One star.