The idea of Masculinity: is it harmful or helpful to today's black male youth?

Kalik

Rasta in Babylon
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Florida / Bahamas
You know killers, thugs, drug dealers & scammers do all of this too. Doesn't make them role models, but in most cases they are for those exact reasons you listed.
I really don't care how the next man survives. Or tryna be role models.

I lucked up in life and was able to stay legal (mostly). If my back was to the wall and I had to survive and "man up" for my children also. I would sell drugs, finesse and scam also.

Luckily that wasn't the lifestyle I achieved.

---
Would rather do this, than ask Uncle Sam for a handout. Or leech off parents or family.

Suleiman Bey

Banned
Daps
I really don't care how the next man survives. Or tryna be role models.

I lucked up in life and was able to stay legal (mostly). If my back was to the wall and I had to survive and "man up" for my children also. I would sell drugs, finesse and scam also.

Luckily that wasn't the lifestyle I achieved.

---
Would rather do this, than ask Uncle Sam for a handout. Or leech off parents or family.
So your definition of a man is needing no one. Seems detrimental to me.

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
And yet your ENTIRE post is nothing but 1 big stereotype and even includes a Jay-Z line that suggests you're less than black if you didnt grow up in a certain environment:wow:

Wrong. Lots of truth.
Nope no big stereotypes outside of you being a suburban dude and not knowing what the fukk your talking about. The Jay Z line also doesn't suggest that at all but when you coming from the local Starbucks drinking your latter that's what you'd get from that line. Not surprising.

ZoeGod

I’m from Brooklyn a place where stars are born.
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn,NY
khallidmuhammad1.jpg

This is a symbol of TRUE black masculinity. Uncompromising,a soldier,warrior,protector of your people. Respectful of black women and protector of the black family.

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
It can be unsettling because people take it too far, which I think is their own insecurity. People just have to be themselves, everybody can't be this supreme idea of masculinity, and in reality, it shouldn't be a big deal.

Im pretty sure Prince has come up in this thread but I think he's a good example. Imagine what his career would have been in he was as hyper masculine as an Ice Cube per se.

I think it's important that people are what they are. Be happy and be yourself.
Prince is a shyt example because you think if Prince was your man and wasn't famous he wouldn't get flamed out here? :usure: People have to be real how have people that acted like Prince, Chris bosh been treated when not famous? I'm not saying people even shyt on them that much but ain't too many dudes like yep fam trying to be like Prince.

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
Harmful because many black boys and men based manhood on the wrong shyt.

How many women you fukk?
How many times you fight
How many times you been to jail
How much money you have
etc

at the end of the day the core values of being a man like taking care of your kids and community while having a sense of accountability aren't taught and is soon forgotten.

Reading the posts in this thread proves my point.
Y'all nikkas won't stop with these cracker generalizations of black folks. Smfh

Suleiman Bey

Banned
Daps
How is being self sufficient detrimental? :what:
He said he didn't need anyone. That's a detriment. If you can't see that, you're a damn fool. I will not accept government grants for school, government handouts. I will not accept help from family, no matter how much I need it, to do so would make me less of a man. Instead, I will rob, steal and kill to provide for mine.

ZoeGod

I’m from Brooklyn a place where stars are born.
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn,NY
What is masculinity?

What does it mean to be a man?

Being able to not depend on someone else and being self reliant. A woman never respects a dude who depends on her and has no ambition to better her situation
A man is someone who isnt afraid to approach a woman and doesnt care if she rejects him
A man is someone who has good game and a mouth piece when he talks to a woman
A man is someone who isnt afraid to fight
A man is someone who can provide,protect and defend his family in a time of crisis.
A man is someone who is there for his children

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
Being able to not depend on someone else and being self reliant. A woman never respects a dude who depends on her and has no ambition to better her situation
A man is someone who isnt afraid to approach a woman and doesnt care if she rejects him
A man is someone who has good game and a mouth piece when he talks to a woman
A man is someone who isnt afraid to fight
A man is someone who can provide,protect and defend his family in a time of crisis.
A man is someone who is there for his children

If a woman has all of these exact qualities is she a man?

1 other person

Superstar
Daps
He said he didn't need anyone. That's a detriment. If you can't see that, you're a damn fool. I will not accept government grants for school, government handouts. I will not accept help from family, no matter how much I need it, to do so would make me less of a man. Instead, I will rob, steal and kill to provide for mine.

At the end of the day, a man only has himself.

Higher Tech

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gary, Indiana
Prince is a shyt example because you think if Prince was your man and wasn't famous he wouldn't get flamed out here? :usure: People have to be real how have people that acted like Prince, Chris bosh been treated when not famous? I'm not saying people even shyt on them that much but ain't too many dudes like yep fam trying to be like Prince.
You're speaking to my point. You really can't do much outside the norm without dudes shyttin on you, regardless of what it is. My point is be yourself. Use Prince less as an example of masculinity and more of an example of being yourself. Ever dude won't be super masculine. I think it's a ridiculous standard that we try to hold people to. Kanye is effeminate to me, hell, men I know in my personal life have feminine tendencies, but they're themselves. My one homie is a great father to his son. Shows his all the "masculine" things to do, but I know growing up people would talk shyt about him. Nonetheless, he was always himself, and that's all I really care about.