The Great Wall (Matt Damon, dir. Zhang Yimou)

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Wait, What?!!? :what: How did she shut down arguments about the matt damon movie, but she specifically says we dont need white people being the savior like heroes...

Isnt matt damon the hero of this chinese story?!?! :heh:

I'm confused....:dahell:
Shut down arguments defending casting Matt Damon in the film.

It's done for 1 reason. To sell to the western audience.

Not no damn "we are going to cast your star and film in your language! That'll show those white people! This is a Chinese film for Chinese people! What better way to flex our muscle then throwing away our language!"

:dead: dumbest shyt I've read on here in a while

• Dap
Reactions: flo

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Shut down arguments defending casting Matt Damon in the film.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok.... :ohhh: So she's specifically against this movie where matt damon is the white hero savior...

I get it... That's what I thought it was...:heh:

Well she needs to talk to whoever made this fukking film and scream in that muthafukka's ear. this movie does look weird as fukk as matt damon in a chinese movie... :heh:

I mean why couldnt it be current day china on some spy shyt. ala jason bourne... matt damon as a white warlord / hero in china... :mjlol:

It doesnt compute for me... :heh:

Emoryal

Superstar
Daps
The chinese aren't a monolith, I look at this the way I look at 12 Years a Slave and that Brad Pitt had to save the day, though that one was a true story. Still, this is hollywood, that could've been Nat Turner's cousin rather than Brad.
I never said they were a monlith. In fact I specifically the chinese who directed and produced it. And 12 years a slave had a black owned company producing it and a black director? They aren't the same situation and it still doesn't my queation as to why y'all are so bothered by the chinese making a movie with a white lead.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
What Eddie Huang wrote and how the show has been to the point that Eddie Huang disassociated himself from it are not one and the same. She's complicit for the same bullshyt that she's complaining this film represents.... but it's OKAY to have a show that's blends black urban culture with Asian exploitation if it's by someone who's Asian and produced by someone who's Asian. But it's foul when a film that's directed by an Asian director, produced by an Asian production team, sanctioned and backed by the Chinese government (which they are KNOWN to ban a film in a heartbeat if it doesn't suits their liking... go ask Deadpool and the last Ghostbusters film).... If the MAINLAND don't have qualms about this shyt... why in the hell should we care about how Constance Wu feels when she's in a show that is exploitative and appropriates? And I got nothing against Fresh off the Boat, personally...but lets call a spade a spade.

Kind of a reach. You're confusing culture with ethnicity. If she was in a show with a bunch of Asians pretending to be black, you'd have a point. It's a show about an immigrant family who's son authentically took to an aspect of American culture. If she was mad that this movie is about a white family in China where the son took to an aspect of the Chinese culture, you'd be right to call her a hypocrit.

joeychizzle

光復香港,時代革命
Daps
Reppin
:deadmanny: I guess we're not the only ones immune to this
As a minority it is my duty to be aware of the sneaky tactics of white folks in power.
"Hey there! We like everything about your story, and we think that it's a great concept and potentially a money spinner, we just don't like you."
:smugcacmayne:

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Look the movie looks fantastic but Matt Damon should not have been the lead in the movie. Supporting? OK, have him in a side role. But have his face plastered all over this is very disengenious. I haven't seen the film so I don't know exactly how his character will be protrayed but the trailer shows him as being the lead role in the movie. I think Matt is a very good actor and I have nothing against him personally and have been a fan for years (Though I have issues with his elitism and what he said to that Black Producer on that project greenlight show). Yes reguardless of the Zhang choosing him for this lead and that's the director's right. It's still sending a bad message of the White Savior. Yes it's a Fantasy version of events so this a "Mystical" story. But the fact remains in Chinese History greatest Battles a White Man was not leading them period. This same thing happen 13 years ago with "The Last Samurai".

Yes it was a good film but it had the White Savior issue again. This is Chinese History. I'm not Chinese but I understand what it's like see your History distorted. So one of the first Blockbusters about the "Great Wall Of China" and no Asian Actor could lead the movie? Jet Li? Hello the director did "Hero" right? Jet Li would be FLAWLESS for this role. Obviously the director and studio felt having Matt Damon would sell tickets. But again the FACE of the movie should be Chinese. Again visually, artistically it looked amazing. I love Zhang artsically, always have but that doesn't change how I feel. All I saw in that trailer was Matt Damon all over the place. So I'm with the Asian Actress complaining. I mean look at this poster:

220px-The_Great_Wall_%28film%29.png

:comeon: So you were Gods of Egypt and now your the Saviors of the Great Wall Of China.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Kind of a reach. You're confusing culture with ethnicity. If she was in a show with a bunch of Asians pretending to be black, you'd have a point. It's a show about an immigrant family who's son authentically took to an aspect of American culture. If she was mad that this movie is about a white family in China where the son took to an aspect of the Chinese culture, you'd be right to call her a hypocrit.

That's what the show was SUPPOSED to be but it ended up appropriating black culture and exploiting Asian culture at the same time. Again, this is why Eddie Huang disassociated himself from it.

But she's mad at CHINA for making a film and adding Matt Damon just so they hope to sell in the States? Zhang done enough classic films like this such as House of the Flying Daggers and Hero that he can get a pass for wanting to do a film with more western influences. The sole purpose is so it can sell out here and getting one of the biggest universal stars just to hype it up, so be it. If she wants to make those complaints then fine... but she should be AS vocal about her own show and the direction those show runners been taking it, which she has not because she wants that paycheck too.

I bet you had she been CAST in this movie she would of hopped on it in a heartbeat and be the same one who's criticizing it now, defending it had she been on.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Look the movie looks fantastic but Matt Damon should not have been the lead in the movie. Supporting? OK, have him in a side role. But have his face plastered all over this is very disengenious. I haven't seen the film so I don't know exactly how his character will be protrayed but the trailer shows him as being the lead role in the movie. I think Matt is a very good actor and I have nothing against him personally and have been a fan for years (Though I have issues with his elitism and what he said to that Black Producer on that project greenlight show). Yes reguardless of the Zhang choosing him for this lead and that's the director's right. It's still sending a bad message of the White Savior. Yes it's a Fantasy version of events so this a "Mystical" story. But the fact remains in Chinese History greatest Battles a White Man was not leading them period. This same thing happen 13 years ago with "The Last Samurai".

Yes it was a good film but it had the White Savior issue again. This is Chinese History. I'm not Chinese but I understand what it's like see your History distorted. So one of the first Blockbusters about the "Great Wall Of China" and no Asian Actor could lead the movie? Jet Li? Hello the director did "Hero" right? Jet Li would be FLAWLESS for this role. Obviously the director and studio felt having Matt Damon would sell tickets. But again the FACE of the movie should be Chinese. Again visually, artistically it looked amazing. I love Zhang artsically, always have but that doesn't change how I feel. All I saw in that trailer was Matt Damon all over the place. So I'm with the Asian Actress complaining. I mean look at this poster:

220px-The_Great_Wall_%28film%29.png

:comeon: So you were Gods of Egypt and now your the Saviors of the Great Wall Of China.

There's been and always been a DISCONNECT between Chinese-Americans and the Chinese mainland people. Those in the mainland don't and never have gave a fucck, mainly BECAUSE all their films been representative of themselves.... but at the same time they LOVE (white) American Hollywood stars. Yes, this movie is in hopes to reach out universal appeal all across, but it WILL SELL in China. Their whole attitude about racism is very different from people over here mainly because they never experienced it from our perspective.

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't watch the show but it's the first "big" American tv-show to have a full Asian cast. That in itself is very important to open the doors for other opportunities for Asian-led shows/movies which we all know Hollywood is even more afraid of than pulling the trigger on than movies/shows starring black people.

And I don't know what the Mainland thinks about this but there's no reason to assume that there aren't people who don't like it either.
The show isn't full Asian

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Wait, Hollyweird CaCafied The Great Wall of China:ld::mindblown::mjlol::umad:

Legendary Pictures is owned by Wanda, a Chinese mega corporation that also owns the largest theater chain in China. The movie is almost entirely if not fully funded by Chinese investors.

Side-note: apparently the story was created by The Last Samurai director Edward Zwick. Dude stays whitewashing Asian history.