The Blackening - Grace Byers, Jermaine Fowler, Melvin Gregg, | Official Discussion Thread

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
No doubt. A lot of us have been conditioned to like that low brow entertainment and I guess it's profitable. :francis:

Yea….. like I liked Season 3 of Atlanta and appreciated more what they tried to do.

Also Love Craft…. It was different

But some black folks was like “na… that shyt is weird and wack….. give me Power/BMF”

Monoblock

Smoooth
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Yea….. like I liked Season 3 of Atlanta and appreciated more what they tried to do.

Also Love Craft…. It was different

But some black folks was like “na… that shyt is weird and wack….. give me Power/BMF”
I know exactly what you mean. I still get into arguments about this type of shyt all the time. Some of us are so use to being pigeonholed that anything outside of it they can't relate to and start accusing you of being weird or saying.."that's some white people shyt" Like damn my nikka all of us can't watch this same stereotypical badly written bullshyt over and over again. Gets frustrating to even try to have a convo about other options.

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
I know exactly what you mean. I still get into arguments about this type of shyt all the time. Some of us are so use to being pigeonholed that anything outside of it they can't relate to and start accusing you of being weird or saying.."that's some white people shyt" Like damn my nikka all of us can't watch this same stereotypical badly written bullshyt over and over again. Gets frustrating to even try to have a convo about other options.

Facts

And not just shyt with all blacks or black leads…..

I’m down with seeing more shyt with more range for everyone.

Like I’m not even a Quantum Leap fan…. But it was a breath of fresh air seeing an Asian guy as the lead vs another white guy.

Or why I like Lupin and Luther

These are roles white guys always get and been having for years. So it’s cool when another race (black or other) gets in that spot.

Like you said, I’m tired of black actors or Hollywood being pigeon holed by both us and white people.

The limit of range hurts the opportunities and stories they can tell

Squirrel from Meteor Man

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
A lot of times (and in my opinion this includes Lovecraft and later seasons of Atlanta), those projects are garbage. Look at that new Boots Riley show for example. Trash. Ironically, the only people who give it high reviews are white, which is the people they make it for.

For many of these writers and directors saying “I don’t want my stuff looked at as a stereotypical black show” means they just want white people to tell them it’s good.

They spend so much time wanting to be “different” and not “typically black” that they forget about the actual story that matters.

Hamsterdam921

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I get why some people wouldn’t like this, but I think we get too caught up in what white people think or the feeling of “they’re laughing at us not with us.” The content is FOR US who cares what they think, funny is funny whether it’s stereotypical or conscious

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Like I get why people hate c00ning shyt and don’t want them to do anything that makes us look bad.

But then I look at some shyt done by white folks like Jim Carey, Nic Cage, or other white guys that get really loopy and wonder “why can’t blacks or other actors get that crazy?” Why does the world think that reflects us when no one ever thinks when a white person does their version of “white c00ning” no one looks at it like “it’s bad representation of their people.

It’s a dilemma to say the least
Thank you! Black creatives shouldn’t have to make things constantly thinking about white gaze. Black people are human and we are allowed to be goofy too. I’m not letting anyone tell me otherwise.

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
Honestly it sounds like a lot of yall don't know what yall even want. Everything's labeled either "New black" shyt that's disconnected or "stereotypical" while pining for the days of 90s black comedies like those weren't a kajilllion times more stereotypical.

Like in the previews for this movie there was one for some male stripper movie starring Bill Bellamy, Faison Love, and Tiffany Hadish, the type of shyt people here would wax mostalgically about it...and it was TRASH. Straight corny garbage. Whole audience was :beli: at every "joke" in the trailer, one person even yelled out "That shyt looks terrible" and got the only laugh out of the whole thing. That type of comedy was super prevalent in the late 90s-mid 00s and it was just as corny then as it is now.

This was a lot more clever and authentic than any of that other shyt.

Last edited:

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
I get why some people wouldn’t like this, but I think we get too caught up in what white people think or the feeling of “they’re laughing at us not with us.” The content is FOR US who cares what they think, funny is funny whether it’s stereotypical or conscious
Plus at the end of the day stereotypes exist for a reason :manny:. Sure plenty are offensive but a lot of them are true, the problem comes when they're weaponized against us.

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
Yeah like I''m sorry but complaining about a character saying "nikka" a lot is some "Not in front of the whites :damn:" shyt :pachaha:

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
Like I get why people hate c00ning shyt and don’t want them to do anything that makes us look bad.

But then I look at some shyt done by white folks like Jim Carey, Nic Cage, or other white guys that get really loopy and wonder “why can’t blacks or other actors get that crazy?” Why does the world think that reflects us when no one ever thinks when a white person does their version of “white c00ning” no one looks at it like “it’s bad representation of their people.

It’s a dilemma to say the least
"The Beverly Hill Billies" was a prime example of this.

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
I saw it late last night. The movie got funnier and funnier, and the ending took me by surprise. Btw, I've edited this post, and decided to put the next paragraph in a spoiler. If any of you already read this post, and think I gave a away a part of the movie, and think I should have put this part in a spoiler to begin with, my bad.
The ending surprised me with Clifton. He reminded me of a few brothers I went to U of MD with, that grew up in "well to do" White suburbs, or didn't grow up around mostly Black people. He also reminded me of a brother that would naturally come out looking and acting sorta like a nerd, who would wound up resenting Black people, and wound up marrying a White girl...not saying it always goes that way with this type. Anyway, I'm glad I never fitted neither of those categories, even though I understood how it felt to have your Blackness misunderstood by certain individuals, who wound up feeling foolish for it. But I liked how all this was made comical.
The reviews are giving off vibes like "In Living Color" did when it first aired. People either liked it, or they were offended. The same for "Key and Peele". Anyway, I saw this in a Black theater, and the audience laughed more and more. But I believe some of them were in groups, and were paid to laugh, because they were cracking up a little too hard at Black people getting killed. Up until then, I thought they only laughed at White people in horror movies getting killed. But there was this brother sitting right next to me with his girl, and he didn't laugh the whole time. When I glanced at him after the movie, I discovered he was biracial. I guess he wasn't feeling the Allison jokes. But his girl, who was a full sister, was cracking up through-out the entire movie :ohhh:

Last edited: