The Blackening - Grace Byers, Jermaine Fowler, Melvin Gregg, | Official Discussion Thread

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
Broo, in the opening couple scenes.. the female character used the n word sooo many times it made me uncomfortable.

And I use the n-word my damn self so I ain’t even one of them uptight kinda dudes. I knew it would be either surprisingly good or really bad.. and it def was the latter

I noticed the elevated use of "nikka" too. Me and my wife were like, "Damn they are overdoing it." We thought about it and nobody in our friend circle says nikka like THAT. We use the word obviously but we don't just say it every few words.

Oh and nobody is making fun of their biracial friend like that past age 12.

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
Saw it last night. Movie was average. Best character was the nerd. Even tho he was hamming it up a bit too much. I think he got all his inspiration from this guy:

professor-frink-83a06da7-9b5f-4057-a8dc-427a1b76e74-resize-750.png

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
I noticed the elevated use of "nikka" too. Me and my wife were like, "Damn they are overdoing it." We thought about it and nobody in our friend circle says nikka like THAT. We use the word obviously but we don't just say it every few words.

That caused this one couple to get up and leave early. I almost felt like leaving right behind them. Although the movie did get funnier than I expected, you do have a point.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
I thought this movie was solid. A little too on the nose at times but still funny. I don't why I thought of the nerd breh as a coli poster tho :mjlol:

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Its the generation that grew up on both Chappelle Show and The Boondocks as little kids. nikka is just a word to them and nearly completely separate from nigg3r :smh:

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
Yea….. like I liked Season 3 of Atlanta and appreciated more what they tried to do.

Also Love Craft…. It was different

But some black folks was like “na… that shyt is weird and wack….. give me Power/BMF”

These are two bad examples imo. Atlanta was heralded by black people, but the criticism for season 3 was deserved given the time off between the previous season and how far fetched some of the episodes were in season 3. Actually, Atlanta in general is the antithesis to your entire point. It's always been weird and surreal and loved by black people.

Love Craft had a legendary pilot but fell off the rails by the end of the season. I personally thought it was trash but online black people are still campaigning for it to be brought back to this day.

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
Yeah like I''m sorry but complaining about a character saying "nikka" a lot is some "Not in front of the whites :damn:" shyt :pachaha:

Disagree here. The complaint is that the dialog didn't sound natural. They were forcing nikka into the convo. Nobody cares what whites think. It'd be no different if a character kept talking about reparations every 5 minutes. You'd just look at it and go "nobody in real life talks like that."

Some of the dialog felt like it came straight out of a King Bach skit. :skip:

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
These are two bad examples imo. Atlanta was heralded by black people, but the criticism for season 3 was deserved given the time off between the previous season and how far fetched some of the episodes were in season 3. Actually, Atlanta in general is the antithesis to your entire point. It's always been weird and surreal and loved by black people.

Love Craft had a legendary pilot but fell off the rails by the end of the season. I personally thought it was trash but online black people are still campaigning for it to be brought back to this day.

Man I disagree with the criticism…. Season 3 had some of the best moments and eps of that show period

dangerranger

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I’m genuinely asking where you got this sentiment from because I’ve never seen those words out together in a sentence. I find it to be the opposite especially online.

The show didn’t have monster ratings, it was on Fx which doesn’t not usually have shows with a predominantly black casts, and the most Atlanta was talked about in recent memory was because of Donald Glover’s interview with himself and the backlash from said interview.

Yeah so I’m curious to why you believe what was written.