The Blackening - Grace Byers, Jermaine Fowler, Melvin Gregg, | Official Discussion Thread

QBN

All Star
Daps
Broo, in the opening couple scenes.. the female character used the n word sooo many times it made me uncomfortable.

And I use the n-word my damn self so I ain’t even one of them uptight kinda dudes. I knew it would be either surprisingly good or really bad.. and it def was the latter
I feel like some of these "Black" Hollywood movies are just modern day minstrel shows. Exaggerated stereotypical caricatures of what Black people are supposed to be like, because White people find that image amusing. *Edit haven't seen the movie, so not commenting on this film, but the description of the character overusing the n-word made me think of films where I felt that same cringe/embarrasment feeling.

Last edited:

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
I feel like some of these "Black" Hollywood movies are just modern day minstrel shows. Exaggerated stereotypical caricatures of what Black people are supposed to be like, because White people find that image amusing. *Edit haven't seen the movie, so not commenting on this film, but the description of the character overusing the n-word made me think of films where I felt that same cringe/embarrasment feeling.
For this film, that was the joke. In the beginning, it does seem egregious but then you realize that's how they're playing it...including the black nerd.

It would be an incredible movie if they leaned more into horror and played it straight, but then most wouldn't have got it. Hell, most aren't gonna get it the way it is, but it does have the entertainment factor that carries what's on screen.

GR13

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

:francis:

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO

I don’t disagree with that….

But it does seem like in some cases when black Hollywood tries to do something a little more against the grain or expanding the realm…..

Black people reject it or call it weird or etc.

I have mixed feelings on the shyt that society feels about blacks on tv/movies and how we want them to carry themselves.

QBN

All Star
Daps

Yeah...I don't watch any of that ish. If I want to see non stereotypical portrayals of Black people in film, it'll probably be a foreign film or show.

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
Like I get why people hate c00ning shyt and don’t want them to do anything that makes us look bad.

But then I look at some shyt done by white folks like Jim Carey, Nic Cage, or other white guys that get really loopy and wonder “why can’t blacks or other actors get that crazy?” Why does the world think that reflects us when no one ever thinks when a white person does their version of “white c00ning” no one looks at it like “it’s bad representation of their people.

It’s a dilemma to say the least

QBN

All Star
Daps
I don’t disagree with that….

But it does seem like in some cases when black Hollywood tries to do something a little more against the grain or expanding the realm…..

Black people reject it or call it weird or etc.

I have mixed feelings on the shyt that society feels about blacks on tv/movies and how we want them to carry themselves.
No doubt. A lot of us have been conditioned to like that low brow entertainment and I guess it's profitable. :francis: