The Blackening - Grace Byers, Jermaine Fowler, Melvin Gregg, | Official Discussion Thread

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
I get why some people wouldn’t like this, but I think we get too caught up in what white people think or the feeling of “they’re laughing at us not with us.” The content is FOR US who cares what they think, funny is funny whether it’s stereotypical or conscious
I also thibk the people who didn’t like it and called it stereotypical missed that the movie is a satire. And over the course of the movie it reveals that we not all alike and those stereotypes were bullshyt. “You not supposed to watch friends, you black,” but they rattled off episodes.

Mayo X swimming to safety, etc.

VoxSphere74

Banned
Daps
A lot of times (and in my opinion this includes Lovecraft and later seasons of Atlanta), those projects are garbage. Look at that new Boots Riley show for example. Trash. Ironically, the only people who give it high reviews are white, which is the people they make it for.

For many of these writers and directors saying “I don’t want my stuff looked at as a stereotypical black show” means they just want white people to tell them it’s good.

They spend so much time wanting to be “different” and not “typically black” that they forget about the actual story that matters.

Did cacs like Lovecraft Country though? Because HBO canned it after 1 season. And it's the same with Watchmen. Primarily because with both shows Black people were the most powerful characters and cac execs didn't want shows like that

And Atlanta was by Glover's own admission surrealism that wasn't to be taken seriously so it had nothing to say which is why cacs liked it. And it's the same with Riley that has the same presentation.

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous
be
Like I get why people hate c00ning shyt and don’t want them to do anything that makes us look bad.

But then I look at some shyt done by white folks like Jim Carey, Nic Cage, or other white guys that get really loopy and wonder “why can’t blacks or other actors get that crazy?” Why does the world think that reflects us when no one ever thinks when a white person does their version of “white c00ning” no one looks at it like “it’s bad representation of their people.

It’s a dilemma to say the least
because we dont control the narratives around us especially when it comes to media portrayals. You see the effects of that shyt a lot when you go overseas and people in those countries ask all their questions based around the media they have consumed pertaining to black people.

for every jim carey, they got a bunch of other dudes, like Leo, clooney, depp, pitt. cacs got diversity in being cacs. we get pigeonholed by others as whatever stereotype is seen on a screen.

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
be

because we dont control the narratives around us especially when it comes to media portrayals. You see the effects of that shyt a lot when you go overseas and people in those countries ask all their questions based around the media they have consumed pertaining to black people.

for every jim carey, they got a bunch of other dudes, like Leo, clooney, depp, pitt. cacs got diversity in being cacs. we get pigeonholed by others as whatever stereotype is seen on a screen.

I feel you…..

But that’s also still pigeonholing them

It’s still not fair for white folks to be able to have the freedom to do whatever with roles. But black folks have to be stifled with being limited

We are not one thing

RickyDiBiase

The Sword of Jesus of Nazareth
Daps
Reppin
Cbus
I feel you…..

It’s still not fair for white folks to be able to have the freedom to do whatever with roles. But black folks have to be stifled with being limited

We are not one thing

I really don’t think black people should be concerned by how were perceived in the context of entertainment by non-black people :manny:its not our fault they’re fukking stupid

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous
I feel you…..

We are not one thing
facts, but "not fair" is inherently american, in my opinion. so that shyt aint gonna change unless overarching system/society changes.

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Our version of Cabin In The Woods crack me up a bit:

Thick Chick running to the Rap Snap chips:pachaha:
One Mic trivial question:ohhh:
The sideway gun turned straight:dead:

That unexpected water hose ending credit scene:damn:

'They don't teach you Spades in Vermont':mjlol:

Last edited: