The Blackening - Grace Byers, Jermaine Fowler, Melvin Gregg, | Official Discussion Thread

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
That was always my critique of Get Out, and a few more, is that they don't quite work as actual horror movies.

Not sure if I want to see this. I had a great time in You People

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
I liked it...way better than I expected. That first 10mins was rough, though. I think they should've played it straight, instead of leaning into the stereotypes as heavy as they did. That would've elevated it. Overall, it works after you see how they're going to play it, but they had a real gem that would've been even better.

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Seeing this in a few hours. Got a ticket for 5 bucks through T Mobile. Yall got me nervous with these reviews.

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
As a horror movie this was good.
But as a comedy, this wasn't for me. I like some "Middle class Black" comedy like Abbott and Atlanta. But alot the references just went over my head. I had to literally look up a joke that came from Sister Act 2.

That fat chick in here was annoying. Especially saying ngga all the time. It just wasn't believable. I get the commentary on what was blackness. But I'm sure the writer had some issues of being judged for being called "'white" as a kid.

Last edited:

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Damn, I was hoping to have a similar experience. I’m glad some of y’all brothers were able to really enjoy this film
Went to a black theater and people laughed here and there. But overall nobody was really cracking up. But yeah that's good some got it.