Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

Slic Ric

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I've been getting to third round interviews for months and still haven't landed a gig. I'm feeling like Front-End and web dev in general is a waste of time at this point, too saturated at the junior level. Even with good projects it's hard to get am offer.

I'm pivoting my skill set to something more enjoyable (for me) and with more opportunities.
what did you have in mind? I was thinking of going into Front-End myself

godliness

• M Δ § † ë ® ¥ °
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Hands on Green Money
what did you have in mind? I was thinking of going into Front-End myself
I've been shifting into cyber for the past few months and i really enjoy it. I never liked making web sites anyways. Cyber seems more my style.

Edit: cyber meaning ethical hacking, with some blue team stuff thrown in.

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Really having hard time landed a junior product/ux design gig brehs :mjcry:

Any tips? Started a bank job last Monday to hold me down while continuing to apply and sharpen up my portfolio.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I had an interesting conversation with one of the companies I've been interviewing with. I interviewed with them months ago for a tech sales role that was for their "Marquee" accounts. Conversation with the recruiter went well and I talked to the hiring manager. Decent conversation. Ultimately they decided to pass on me saying that they needed someone with more experience to handle their Marquee accounts, but I may be good for one of their tech sales role in their Enterprise accounts.

I'm talking to a manager for their Enterprise accounts and he really likes me and my experience. They give me a Hacker Rank assessment two weeks ago. The recruiter told me that him and the hiring manager noticed I scored really high on it. 195/215. He mentioned to me most candidates are scoring in the 170s and 180s so I'm a strong candidate.

Interesting enough the recruiter told me that it seems I may be a good fit for their Marquee accounts....ran by the same woman who said that I needed more experience :mjlol: and she will also be on the panel :mjlol:

Honestly I'd rather just work under the manager that really likes me instead of that indecisive woman but I'm glad I'm a top contender.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I had an interesting conversation with one of the companies I've been interviewing with. I interviewed with them months ago for a tech sales role that was for their "Marquee" accounts. Conversation with the recruiter went well and I talked to the hiring manager. Decent conversation. Ultimately they decided to pass on me saying that they needed someone with more experience to handle their Marquee accounts, but I may be good for one of their tech sales role in their Enterprise accounts.

I'm talking to a manager for their Enterprise accounts and he really likes me and my experience. They give me a Hacker Rank assessment two weeks ago. The recruiter told me that him and the hiring manager noticed I scored really high on it. 195/215. He mentioned to me most candidates are scoring in the 170s and 180s so I'm a strong candidate.

Interesting enough the recruiter told me that it seems I may be a good fit for their Marquee accounts....ran by the same woman who said that I needed more experience :mjlol: and she will also be on the panel :mjlol:

Honestly I'd rather just work under the manager that really likes me instead of that indecisive woman but I'm glad I'm a top contender.
Dope man. Its always a good sign when a manager really likes you during the interview process

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
13158-259730452ec037d3530014e5fd49bd46.jpg

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Google CEO tells employees to expect more job cuts this year/

In an internal memo, Sundar Pichai said recent layoffs are about “removing layers to simplify execution and drive velocity in some areas.”

By Alex Heath, a deputy editor and author of the Command Line newsletter. He’s covered the tech industry for over a decade at The Information and other outlets.

Jan 17, 2024, 9:09 PM EST|104 Comments / 104 New

236780_Google_AntiTrust_Trial_Custom_Art_CVirginia__0000_6.png

Google CEO Sundar Pichai.

Illustration by Cath Virginia / The Verge

Google has laid off over a thousand employees across various departments since January 10th. CEO Sundar Pichai’s message is to brace for more cuts.

“We have ambitious goals and will be investing in our big priorities this year,” Pichai told all Google employees on Wednesday in an internal memo that was shared with me. “The reality is that to create the capacity for this investment, we have to make tough choices.”

So far, those “tough choices” have included layoffs and reorganizations in Google’s hardware, ad sales, search, shopping, maps, policy, core engineering, and YouTube teams.

“These role eliminations are not at the scale of last year’s reductions, and will not touch every team,” Pichai wrote in his memo — a reference to when Google cut 12,000 jobs this time last year. “But I know it’s very difficult to see colleagues and teams impacted.”

Pichai said the layoffs this year were about “removing layers to simplify execution and drive velocity in some areas.” He confirmed what many inside Google have been fearing: that more “role eliminations” are to come.

“Many of these changes are already announced, though to be upfront, some teams will continue to make specific resource allocation decisions throughout the year where needed, and some roles may be impacted,” he wrote.

A spokesperson for Google didn’t have additional comment.

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
Yep, me and a friend getting into game dev building mobile games, and I’m looking at stuff on my own. shyt is too stressful these days.
Not sure what game dev you’re interested in but I there’s a wide open market and opportunity in couples co-op games. Games like Overcooked and It Takes Two. Everyone wants to be a social media influencer and those games been going viral.

Malcolmxxx_23

Let's go panthers
Supporter
Daps

Google CEO tells employees to expect more job cuts this year/

In an internal memo, Sundar Pichai said recent layoffs are about “removing layers to simplify execution and drive velocity in some areas.”

By Alex Heath, a deputy editor and author of the Command Line newsletter. He’s covered the tech industry for over a decade at The Information and other outlets.

Jan 17, 2024, 9:09 PM EST|104 Comments / 104 New

236780_Google_AntiTrust_Trial_Custom_Art_CVirginia__0000_6.png

Google CEO Sundar Pichai.

Illustration by Cath Virginia / The Verge

Google has laid off over a thousand employees across various departments since January 10th. CEO Sundar Pichai’s message is to brace for more cuts.

“We have ambitious goals and will be investing in our big priorities this year,” Pichai told all Google employees on Wednesday in an internal memo that was shared with me. “The reality is that to create the capacity for this investment, we have to make tough choices.”

So far, those “tough choices” have included layoffs and reorganizations in Google’s hardware, ad sales, search, shopping, maps, policy, core engineering, and YouTube teams.

“These role eliminations are not at the scale of last year’s reductions, and will not touch every team,” Pichai wrote in his memo — a reference to when Google cut 12,000 jobs this time last year. “But I know it’s very difficult to see colleagues and teams impacted.”

Pichai said the layoffs this year were about “removing layers to simplify execution and drive velocity in some areas.” He confirmed what many inside Google have been fearing: that more “role eliminations” are to come.

“Many of these changes are already announced, though to be upfront, some teams will continue to make specific resource allocation decisions throughout the year where needed, and some roles may be impacted,” he wrote.

A spokesperson for Google didn’t have additional comment.
1000 layoff Out of 180k