Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
AMEN my brotha! šŸ™. Is anything to difficult for the Lord?

4f59f4a993ab5d0b0669a625d2f95f6c.gif

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
Tell me why I had an interview today, decided last minute to check the interviewers linkedin profile, and he worked with everybody I was just working with at the last job, lol

Wild shĒt is a recruiter hit me on LinkedIn about a contract role in November then I didnā€™t hear anything until this week ā€” the dept was reorganized. The first interview was today with someone I used to work with like 8 years ago so the conversion was casual and she told me what to look out for on the next round of interviews next week since sheā€™s the one building the team.

If I get the gig I fully intend on keeping my current job since I work for a very well known company and this job will be for another very well known company.

Get all the paper you can get and I donā€™t wanna be assed out when the contract is over

If it works out it works out :manny: but the last few months of applying for stuff has been interesting to say the least even tho Iā€™m in a good situation in my current role. But brehs know what this corporate life is like. It will wear you down. Everyone is applying for everything so youā€™re flat out not getting these interviews even if youā€™re coming from a name brand company.

Iā€™ll let yall know how the 2nd round goes. They wanna have this nailed down by late next week since 2 roles are up for grabs.

Regular Developer

āš”
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Wild shĒt is a recruiter hit me on LinkedIn about a contract role in November then I didnā€™t hear anything until this week ā€” the dept was reorganized. The first interview was today with someone I used to work with like 8 years ago so the conversion was casual and she told me what to look out for on the next round of interviews next week since sheā€™s the one building the team.

If I get the gig I fully intend on keeping my current job since I work for a very well known company and this job will be for another very well known company.

Get all the paper you can get and I donā€™t wanna be assed out when the contract is over

If it works out it works out :manny: but the last few months of applying for stuff has been interesting to say the least even tho Iā€™m in a good situation in my current role. But brehs know what this corporate life is like. It will wear you down. Everyone is applying for everything so youā€™re flat out not getting these interviews even if youā€™re coming from a name brand company.

Iā€™ll let yall know how the 2nd round goes. They wanna have this nailed down by late next week since 2 roles are up for grabs.
God Bless, and good luck man. Hope it all works out for you.

Spence

Superstar
Daps
Market is really slow since I have nor been getting many recruiters reaching out. It has really died down. Used ro have several each week from major companies. I guess thereā€™s a lot of talent to pick from now and lowball.
Thatā€™s exactly whatā€™s happening. Iā€™m getting applications from people that are laughably overqualified but because Iā€™m in contracts we take them since we only need a few months to a year of labor tops. :manny:

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Iā€™ve been doing this for the past couple of years.

Feel reluctant to even really enjoy myself like that.

I f wit wfh though
Some dude a few pages back said heā€™s making 40gs a month. Thatā€™s insane. Itā€™s easy for dudes like him to think sh1t will always be like that. I say stack so layoffs to you becomes an exciting excuse to enjoy your self. It frightens me that there are people who suffer to find a job, then when they get that job they forget the misery they endured. Like nah. Luckily for me I donā€™t need much to feel ā€œaliveā€. Boring life ainā€™t that boring if you ainā€™t desperately trying to survive. These stories are just terrible

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW

They definitely doing people dirty out here. Absolutely shytty business practices. Hope some of these places bottom out for this mess.

Stay strong brehs/brehettes. shyt is wack af.

Yeah most companies are going to do everything they can to try and get rid of you based on performance. I bet if anyone in this thread asked their manager how their performance is measured, the manager wouldn't know.

The chick in this clip was completely fukked when she said she wasn't closing deals. That's the only thing they going to look at. All that other shyt she was talking don't matter. Crazy though to have someone who only been there a few months to try and close a deal. At my job you can't even get ON THE PHONE with a customer if you doing account management until around a year.

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
God Bless, and good luck man. Hope it all works out for you.

Thanks. Iā€™m trying to eat off of both of these companies. Interview is on Tuesday and the chick I spoke with today is gonna be on that interview with someone else. She told me to just make sure I have answers to the problem solving questions they have when it comes to the technical stuff. This is going to be a design + project manager role.

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yup. That's what's crazy. Humans will always find a way to adapt and strike back. That's what competition is.

Not to mention other side effects. That kind of reminded me of what I read recently:

Smart people definitely aren't going to sit around and accept getting screwed.

They're going to pull together and get innovative.

Thatā€™s a great example

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I've had 17 interviews for four jobs; I'm exhausted and burned out​

And this is why we say you need a decent professional network. Nothing like having someone internally vouch for you. These companies are just wasting people's time outchea.
:francis:

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

And this is why we say you need a decent professional network. Nothing like having someone internally vouch for you. These companies are just wasting people's time outchea.
:francis:
That article is subscription based. Can you paste it here?

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That article is subscription based. Can you paste it here?

As told to Tim Paradis
Jan 16, 2024, 5:57 AM EST

Illustration of a person confused by a job search

• A tech worker has been looking for a job for the better part of two years.
  • The person has had 17 interviews for four jobs since October and feels exhausted by the process.
  • "They obviously don't care about my time because I'm nothing to them but a candidate," they said.
Insider Today

This as-told-to essay is based on an interview with a tech worker who has been job-hunting for the better part of two years. The worker has had 17 interviews for four jobs since October. This person spoke on condition of anonymity to avoid jeopardizing their career. Business Insider has verified their identity. The conversation has been edited for length and clarity.

I started looking for a job in October. I applied for a bunch of jobs. I heard back from four of them. I added it up the other day: I have now been on 17 interviews across four jobs. And I actually did just get an offer from one though I don't think I'm going to take it.

With the others, it's fine if I don't get an offer, but at least just reject me already. But it seems like rather than rejecting me, they just seem to keep going ā€” adding on another stage.
For one job, which is like a hybrid role, I had two phone interviews and then they asked me to come in, which is fine. But they said, "Can you come in next week on this day, at this time? It's the only time slot we have available." I said, "Alright. Fine, we'll just make it work." They said in December they really wanted to wrap this up before the end of the year. So I go and interview in person with four people. And then here we are almost a month later, in January, and I have heard nothing.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

As told to Tim Paradis
Jan 16, 2024, 5:57 AM EST

Illustration of a person confused by a job search

• A tech worker has been looking for a job for the better part of two years.
  • The person has had 17 interviews for four jobs since October and feels exhausted by the process.
  • "They obviously don't care about my time because I'm nothing to them but a candidate," they said.
Insider Today

This as-told-to essay is based on an interview with a tech worker who has been job-hunting for the better part of two years. The worker has had 17 interviews for four jobs since October. This person spoke on condition of anonymity to avoid jeopardizing their career. Business Insider has verified their identity. The conversation has been edited for length and clarity.

I started looking for a job in October. I applied for a bunch of jobs. I heard back from four of them. I added it up the other day: I have now been on 17 interviews across four jobs. And I actually did just get an offer from one though I don't think I'm going to take it.

With the others, it's fine if I don't get an offer, but at least just reject me already. But it seems like rather than rejecting me, they just seem to keep going ā€” adding on another stage.
For one job, which is like a hybrid role, I had two phone interviews and then they asked me to come in, which is fine. But they said, "Can you come in next week on this day, at this time? It's the only time slot we have available." I said, "Alright. Fine, we'll just make it work." They said in December they really wanted to wrap this up before the end of the year. So I go and interview in person with four people. And then here we are almost a month later, in January, and I have heard nothing.

Then the other two jobs are the two that have been insane. Unfortunately, I've interviewed for so many jobs over the past two or three years because when I was at one employer, I was really unhappy and was trying to leave. I got tons of interviews and, made it to final rounds, but just never could stick the landing.

Then I took a job at a startup. The startup five months later shut down and I got laid off. So then I had to do a new round of applying and interviewing. Then I took my most recent job, which was a terrible fit and I was very unhappy. So within three months of starting that job, I started applying and interviewing for more jobs. I feel like I've just been in a nonstop job interview cycle for two years now. It's all so insane.

Having so many interviews makes me question the hiring process
I don't even have to prepare really anymore because I've done it so many times. Particularly in this round, nobody's asked me a question that I haven't already been asked. So I have all the examples ready. It's like, "Oh, tell me about a time when blah blah blah." It's like, "Oh, yeah, I know what to say for that one." I've got all the like scenarios worked out. So I guess in that sense, it is a little bit easier.

I was thinking about this the other day: Is this really the best way to determine whether you're a good fit for a job ā€” having a couple of 30-minute conversations? I mean I don't know what the alternative is. My last job was such a bad fit. It was like, is there anything I should have seen? I don't think so. It's not like companies are going to tell you, "Oh yeah, we make you work long hours and we're not going to train you. We're not going to give you any support." It's not like anybody's ever going to be honest about that.