Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

godliness

• M Δ § † ë ® ¥ °
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Hands on Green Money
I've been getting to third round interviews for months and still haven't landed a gig. I'm feeling like Front-End and web dev in general is a waste of time at this point, too saturated at the junior level. Even with good projects it's hard to get am offer.

I'm pivoting my skill set to something more enjoyable (for me) and with more opportunities.

chineebai

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've been getting to third round interviews for months and still haven't landed a gig. I'm feeling like Front-End and web dev in general is a waste of time at this point, too saturated at the junior level. Even with good projects it's hard to get am offer.

I'm pivoting my skill set to something more enjoyable (for me) and with more opportunities.
Have you looked into Advertising? Lots of front end dev work there.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Yep, me and a friend getting into game dev building mobile games, and I’m looking at stuff on my own. shyt is too stressful these days.
I did that for a bit 4 years ago with some friends. I was the developer, but I wished I knew about already made assets, instead of having the other of the founders trying to make graphic art when he never did before. If its something you guys wanna do, just make sure you start with simple games if you're learning, and someone handles marketing

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Right now, most of my engineering team are offshored in either India, eastern Europe, or Latin America. As long as you have someone with on shore with product knowledge and requirements, most of the engineering can be done offshore.
Our offshore was not as promising, and I actually feel for my manager. You couldn't give them anything even mid level without them taking forever and not having it correct. This was on the data engineering side at least. It might be different on the operational side of development

godliness

• M Δ § † ë ® ¥ °
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Hands on Green Money
Have you looked into Advertising? Lots of front end dev work there.
The last company I interviewed for was a advertising company. Got to the third round and I was super excited because everything was moving quickly. Third interview done, a week later I receive a email that they were no longer hiring for the role that this time. 😑 I continue to apply but its feeling pointless tbh.

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
This may sound silly to some but I've been dabbling a bit into content creation as a means to eventually create some additional income.

There are studios pushing shovel ware with AI and banking on ads/stores. Any form of content creation is money you just need a gimmick.

I did that for a bit 4 years ago with some friends. I was the developer, but I wished I knew about already made assets, instead of having the other of the founders trying to make graphic art when he never did before. If its something you guys wanna do, just make sure you start with simple games if you're learning, and someone handles marketing

Oh most definitely breh. Our whole philosophy is iterative design, start small then take what we learned from the first game and apply to the next game. He works on the back end and I’m on the front end. Worse case scenario we get some cheap Indians.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
The last company I interviewed for was a advertising company. Got to the third round and I was super excited because everything was moving quickly. Third interview done, a week later I receive a email that they were no longer hiring for the role that this time. 😑 I continue to apply but its feeling pointless tbh.
I feel like companies have been tightening up their advertising budget recently

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
There are studios pushing shovel ware with AI and banking on ads/stores. Any form of content creation is money you just need a gimmick.

Oh most definitely breh. Our whole philosophy is iterative design, start small then take what we learned from the first game and apply to the next game. He works on the back end and I’m on the front end. Worse case scenario we get some cheap Indians.
O that's dope. I've never had the privilege of working with another developer in my side projects.

I did encounter this guy who was working on an RPG, but this dude was talking about how they're not going to use a game engine, their going to build their own. I was already reluctant cause I really don't wanna work with strangers if I'm not getting paid, but once he mentioned they were going to build thier own, I was 100% out.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I have to say that I have had bad experiences interviewing with startups. This is usually how it goes:

1) Recruiter hits me up on LinkedIn.

2) Recruiter has a conversation with me regarding the role. After a 30 minute conversation the recruiter starts to express high interest saying that the Hiring Manager / Director / CTO REALLY likes my resume and wants to have a conversation with me.

3) Discussion with hiring manager explaining that they need this *specific* skillset. You may be critiqued on your skillset - for example my last interview was with a company that heavily uses containers and the hiring manager said that I was "light" in my Docker/K8S experience even though I've worked in ops/tech sales roles for the past 6 - 7 years troubleshooting, building containerized solutions, etc.

4) A few days later a standard rejection.

I've had this in 3 - 4 instances and it's the same song and dance. I will say with more mid-sized / larger organizations it's a bit different.
But today the interview I had with a hiring manager with a start-up went almost exactly like this with the exception of #4. The guy more or less questioned my experience on containers which made me feel a bit dumb. This was after last week the recruiter said that the hiring manager REALLY liked my resume. I will also note that he appeared to be disinterested from the jump.

No loss ultimately since I'm in final rounds with another organization and have a few others in the back burner but I just wanted to do a brief rant!

EDIT: I just got to the next round with this one but I'm still eh about it.

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
O that's dope. I've never had the privilege of working with another developer in my side projects.

I did encounter this guy who was working on an RPG, but this dude was talking about how they're not going to use a game engine, their going to build their own. I was already reluctant cause I really don't wanna work with strangers if I'm not getting paid, but once he mentioned they were going to build thier own, I was 100% out.

Yea breh, it’s crazy talking to certain folks about they’re gonna create Final Fantasy 20 x Halo Ultimate.

Since we are bootstrapping everything the goal is to leverage everything. For example I can rig shyt in Spine and add hit/hurt boxes and have my friend ready to go in Unity.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I thought the point of an education is you know the basics but can be taught the rest and the point of experience is you got the education hands on, while doing the job.

:why:

They can’t teach you what you don’t know @ViShawn ? Are they looking to hire but not train?
It's stupid with start ups and this has been more or less my interaction when it comes to start ups. Now more established companies they understand you don't know EVERYTHING...especially in tech. They want you to have a base level of knowledge and that's tested, but that's really it. I've seen this for SRE/DevOps roles and some tech sales roles. In fact I'm in a final round interview at the moment with one of my target companies.

When I deal with companies like the Apples and Ciscos of the world they don't come in expecting me to be high level and have super-niche experience unless it's somewhere I directly applied to which I sort of understand. Some of these start ups though expect expert level knowledge or they don't know exactly what they want in a new hire and you sort of have to deal with that when they contact you.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
I have to say that I have had bad experiences interviewing with startups. This is usually how it goes:

1) Recruiter hits me up on LinkedIn.

2) Recruiter has a conversation with me regarding the role. After a 30 minute conversation the recruiter starts to express high interest saying that the Hiring Manager / Director / CTO REALLY likes my resume and wants to have a conversation with me.

3) Discussion with hiring manager explaining that they need this *specific* skillset. You may be critiqued on your skillset - for example my last interview was with a company that heavily uses containers and the hiring manager said that I was "light" in my Docker/K8S experience even though I've worked in ops/tech sales roles for the past 6 - 7 years troubleshooting, building containerized solutions, etc.

4) A few days later a standard rejection.

I've had this in 3 - 4 instances and it's the same song and dance. I will say with more mid-sized / larger organizations it's a bit different.
But today the interview I had with a hiring manager with a start-up went almost exactly like this with the exception of #4. The guy more or less questioned my experience on containers which made me feel a bit dumb. This was after last week the recruiter said that the hiring manager REALLY liked my resume. I will also note that he appeared to be disinterested from the jump.

No loss ultimately since I'm in final rounds with another organization and have a few others in the back burner but I just wanted to do a brief rant!

EDIT: I just got to the next round with this one but I'm still eh about it.
I would love to go back to a startup as it's easier to move up the ladder and you wear more hats. The problem though is the startups usually can't match the salary of corporations. I had interviews with a few but once we got to talking salary mine was way higher than they were looking to pay.

Plus when dealing with corporations the first few interviews are with less technical people as the larger companies have a separate HR department. When I worked for a startup I was doing all the winters for my new staff. Once we got bought out HR handled it. For the newer company I went to the first two was with their HR team and the last two was directly with the manager's of the team I was looking to join.