Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

Spence

Superstar
Daps
This entire thing is really disheartening, especially thinking about the young people coming up in this environment. It will pass, and they'll learn to weather recessions and layoffs. But, these companies firing people for bs reasons is very nasty. She had positive reviews from her manager and now they are saying there were signals she wasn't productive for the last 3 months.

Nasty work.
Breh we entered in an actual recession in 08 and not this “vibecession” bs. They are getting valuable lessons that shyt ain’t sweet out here just like we did 16 years ago.

LV Koopa

Jester from Hell
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Breh we entered in an actual recession in 08 and not this “vibecession” bs. They are getting valuable lessons that shyt ain’t sweet out here just like we did 16 years ago.

Exactly. I remember that 07-09 timeframe. shyt was DARK. We also didn't realize how "the real world" functioned because we were so young. A lot of trash companies did people fukking dirty instead of admitting they fukked up expanding too fast and mismanaging debt.

The Fade

I don’t argue with niqqas on the Internet anymore
Daps
This entire thing is really disheartening, especially thinking about the young people coming up in this environment. It will pass, and they'll learn to weather recessions and layoffs. But, these companies firing people for bs reasons is very nasty. She had positive reviews from her manager and now they are saying there were signals she wasn't productive for the last 3 months.

Nasty work.
That’s some Black Wake Up Call shyt :picard:

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Exactly. I remember that 07-09 timeframe. shyt was DARK. We also didn't realize how "the real world" functioned because we were so young. A lot of trash companies did people fukking dirty instead of admitting they fukked up expanding too fast and mismanaging debt.
And the funny part being that the ones that made those fukkups are usually still sitting pretty in their jobs. At my company our team changes directives every six months just wasting all kinds of man hours as we end up wasting so much time and then switching to something new and never completing anything.

Last edited:

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Question for brehs that got severance and then got another job... Do you wait til the severance is over to start the new job, or do you start as soon as possible and give up the severance.....or do you just collect the severance and work the new job?

chineebai

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Question for brehs that got severance and then got another job... Do you wait til the severance is over to start the new job, or do you start as soon as possible and give up the severance.....or do you just collect the severance and work the new job?
Severance isn’t typically tied to a new job. They just give you money.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Severance isn’t typically tied to a new job. They just give you money.
I saw some companies will end the severance once you get a new job, or will cover the delta between your old salary and the new one if its lower. I guess I'll look through the document again just to double check. I didn't see anything the first read through

chineebai

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I saw some companies will end the severance once you get a new job, or will cover the delta between your old salary and the new one if its lower. I guess I'll look through the document again just to double check. I didn't see anything the first read through
In that case I would do what’s best for my pockets. Either look for a job later or have a longer start date. I have hired people that have a start date 1-2 months after receiving job offer. I would be weird for a company to tie severance to a new job since they don’t know if you started anything new.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Damn good question. At my company when they did layoffs they paid everyone for the next two months to give them time to find a new job, then paid severance on top of it. Had me thinking if I was ever laid off I would start grinding to find a new job ASAP to try and double dip. But if getting a new job cut off the pay then I'm milking that shyt until the last minute and making the new start date the day my severance runs out.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Only ever it did it once in 2016 but shid I got my severance and unemployment and was chilling like a MF for two months.

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive

It was mentioned in my offer letter that I was covered for 2 months of employment or less if I found a job. Just don’t post on your LinkedIn or deactivate it.

I got my severance then went and applied for unemployment same day.

chineebai

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
all this unemployment talk reminds me of the 2008 recession when bush extended unemployment by like a year or something, people were chilling.

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
This is strange times. Man tech is slowing down and it's an employers market. This is why this year I want to work on having another stream of income. Not just work.

Yep, me and a friend getting into game dev building mobile games, and I’m looking at stuff on my own. shyt is too stressful these days.