Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

John Mexico

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Henderson, NV
I got a discount on the top tier plan after asking some Indian for a code on their chat. And no my profile wasn’t flagged ever. I sent out easily like 10,000 applications between 4 boards. What you do is rotate each day and not sit on LinkedIn the entire week which is what others probably did.

What I learned is that Indeed is golden for the first few days but then slows to a crawl, so theres some things they really need to work out with the search algorithm. And Im largely a Frontend Engineer/React Developer. I ended getting the freshest results from LinkedIn, but ironically actually got the job via ZipRecruiter.

Don't underestimate the potential for burn out doing this.

I will play this close to the chest. Start date is the 22nd. Taking a few weeks PTO from J1 (this was actually worked out prior) so I can ramp up with the new position, smaller team but these guys arent a federal client so a little less stress there.

1. Started working out again, build a sufficient gym in the courtyard
2. I'm also in the final week or so with cutting out alcohol. That is going to be huge for me.

Wouldn't mind looking for a smaller/more junior J3 but thats a consideration down the road and largely depends how I can handle my workload. I can't imagine taking OE into 2025 but i'll be determined yet realistic

Last edited:

Wig Twistin Season

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I work in “fin tech” 🙄 as an account executive. The writing is definitely on the wall for this industry and I’ve been in a similar situation as the one above (massive layoffs during the pandemic) so I understand her frustration. Unfortunately, these companies that strike while the iron is hot and grow too quickly never have long term plans for their employees. A lot of us got comfortable making big money, but it’s time to start looking for the next move.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Cloudflare replied CEO replied, straight BS:
"When we’re doing performance management right, we can often tell within 3 months or less of a sales hire, even during the holidays, whether they’re going to be successful or not."

Really? That sounds like absolute bullshyt to me. You can't tell shyt in three months because there are too many factors not in anyone's control unless they're doing absolutely nothing and sabotaging other people.

Dude couldn't even put proper spacing in that wall of text. Grammar all messed up and everything.

Absolutely backpedalling.

Couldn't even come up with a good analogy using CP3 as an example.
They were up 2-0 vs the Bucks and was playing hurt and made the Finals after starting slow (8-8).

What a dingbat.

These are the people we work for ladies and gentlemen.

Last edited:

Wig Twistin Season

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
"When we’re doing performance management right, we can often tell within 3 months or less of a sales hire, even during the holidays, whether they’re going to be successful or not."

Really? That sounds like absolute bullshyt to me.

Dude couldn't even put proper spacing in that wall of text. Grammar all messed up and everything.

Absolutely backpedalling.
Breh…

That’s what I see in tech sales. All of these companies are churn and burn. When I first got into this line of work I had to call an Uber to the airport straight from work one day. My Uber driver had a nice new Jeep and it immediately caught my attention. I kept to myself, but he started asking me a bunch of questions about work which I thought was odd. Turned out he used to work for the same company not long ago.

I can’t tell you how many people come and go in sales. The shyt is a joke. There’s no job security and people are snaking, working 12 hour days and kissing all the ass they can to keep their jobs. fukk that. I still hit quota doing none of those because none of that shyt matters when the company is laying people off.

Yzak

All Star
Bushed
Daps

U.S. tech layoffs sent Indian workers home to an even worse job market​

Indian tech workers who were laid off in the U.S. and returned home say they have taken massive pay cuts and are earning less than their peers in India.

india-weirdo.gif
Send em all back.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Tech will always be around as long as we use electronics, computers, research is being done, etc. The absolute best way to get into tech will be to get a STEM degree. Pick which one interests you the most.

Some engineering fields (Electrical, Mechanical, Civil, etc.) you can't get work without an ABET-accredited degree so that should be a consideration if one of those hit an interest.

Specialization will usually come into play if you have a Master's. However, you can't get a Master's without a Bachelor's and if you want to do research you'll need a PhD (see not ate end). For example, if you want to go into the current field of A.I right now you're going to want at least a MS in CS or Math, even then most companies won't hire less than a PhD to do their real A.I stuff.

In terms of what will pay the most? That depends on the market and nobody knows what will blow up next or a few years from now. Value isn't determined by difficulty of field either so it's not as easy as saying go to the tougher degrees (like Pure Math and Theoretical Physics).

Like I mentioned, we can make a good assumption computers will be around in the future. However, we don't necessarily know specifics. There was a lot of work for electrical engineers doing gadgets like GPS, Calculators, Cameras, etc. back in the early 2000's and was a gold rush for it until Smart Phones came out and basically condensed all of those hardware gadgets into software apps. A lot of those companies basically lost business when that happened. Now EE work still matters and it's a versatile degree that applies to so much more, but if you want to work on hardware stuff like that it's basically firmware/chips for phones.

I think in general the best play is to go general like one of the main Engineering fields or Computer Science to cover the most basis/give you a chance the get some kind of desk job then specialize in the industry into something for a better niche/expertise.

Side note: my cousin actually went to school to get an MS (maybe PhD) for Astrophysics and told me his job all day is basically staring at data and writing data-parsing code (actually hired software people to write the code because apparently their codebases were really bad and unscalable). At the end of the day they're just receiving back signals with a bunch of data and parsing through that data with algorithms then making sense of it. Really boring shyt which is funny because it's glamorized as something else entirely (they ain't out there taking pictures of the night sky out in nature). It really goes to show that software/data parsing is basically in everything and will be for the forseeable future (but again, who knows what happens with A.I).
Great reply. I'm already old, I was wondering what to advise young people or my kids on. You make good points but I am thinking the code-no-degree-required days I remember from 25 years ago are dead forever. General CS may only be as valuable as the institution or skillet soon too.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Maybe he has access to the most advanced AI that the average professional doesn't?

I'm more prone to agree with that tweet but just playing devils advocate.
Maybe dude does, not sure.

However, recently many Stanford, Caltech, M.I.T, etc. professors and researchers said they think it'll be about 20-30 years, if even possible.

A lot of A.I shills though on social media and hype up and say shyt like this all the time (because it's the most susceptible crowd for it).

Last edited:

Spence

Superstar
Daps

LV Koopa

Jester from Hell
Daps
Reppin
NYC
This entire thing is really disheartening, especially thinking about the young people coming up in this environment. It will pass, and they'll learn to weather recessions and layoffs. But, these companies firing people for bs reasons is very nasty. She had positive reviews from her manager and now they are saying there were signals she wasn't productive for the last 3 months.

Nasty work.