Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

Spence

Superstar
Daps
So, honest question: would you still encourage young Blacks to do IT/tech as a general STEM push still or tell them to hyper specialize to improve their marketability?
If they are just out of high school, if it isn’t robotics or ai, head to the trades and hope robots don’t catch up for another 30 years to fix toilets or house wiring etc.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

They definitely doing people dirty out here. Absolutely shytty business practices. Hope some of these places bottom out for this mess.

Stay strong brehs/brehettes. shyt is wack af.

If you work in cybersecurity you normally know about these layoffs in advance. Mainly because you have access to damn near everything email included.

I would dip out months before the huge layoffs we're about to hit. Because there would be a ton of work disabling access and making sure nobody sabotaged anything. Who wants to stick around for that crap.
:mjlol:

papa pimp

All Star
Daps

Phitz

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So, honest question: would you still encourage young Blacks to do IT/tech as a general STEM push still or tell them to hyper specialize to improve their marketability?

Plumbing is 6 figures, so is wiring homes and buildings

My brother changed careers and became an electrician, he makes about 10K a month, but he looks like a dusty so no one would guess he's a 6 figure guy.

Spence

Superstar
Daps
If you work in cybersecurity you normally know about these layoffs in advance. Mainly because you have access to damn near everything email included.

I would dip out months before the huge layoffs we're about to hit. Because there would be a ton of work disabling access and making sure nobody sabotaged anything. Who wants to stick around for that crap.
:mjlol:
My goal is to be an HRBP that has to make the tough decisions on who to keep and who goes. It’s a dirty job that nobody in HR wants but I’m up for the challenge and that position typically pays well.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Tech will always be around as long as we use electronics, computers, research is being done, etc. The absolute best way to get into tech will be to get a STEM degree. Pick which one interests you the most.

Some engineering fields (Electrical, Mechanical, Civil, etc.) you can't get work without an ABET-accredited degree so that should be a consideration if one of those hit an interest.

Specialization will usually come into play if you have a Master's. However, you can't get a Master's without a Bachelor's and if you want to do research you'll need a PhD (see not ate end). For example, if you want to go into the current field of A.I right now you're going to want at least a MS in CS or Math, even then most companies won't hire less than a PhD to do their real A.I stuff.

In terms of what will pay the most? That depends on the market and nobody knows what will blow up next or a few years from now. Value isn't determined by difficulty of field either so it's not as easy as saying go to the tougher degrees (like Pure Math and Theoretical Physics).

Like I mentioned, we can make a good assumption computers will be around in the future. However, we don't necessarily know specifics. There was a lot of work for electrical engineers doing gadgets like GPS, Calculators, Cameras, etc. back in the early 2000's and was a gold rush for it until Smart Phones came out and basically condensed all of those hardware gadgets into software apps. A lot of those companies basically lost business when that happened. Now EE work still matters and it's a versatile degree that applies to so much more, but if you want to work on hardware stuff like that it's basically firmware/chips for phones.

I think in general the best play is to go general like one of the main Engineering fields or Computer Science to cover the most basis/give you a chance the get some kind of desk job then specialize in the industry into something for a better niche/expertise.

Side note: my cousin actually went to school to get an MS (maybe PhD) for Astrophysics and told me his job all day is basically staring at data and writing data-parsing code (actually hired software people to write the code because apparently their codebases were really bad and unscalable). At the end of the day they're just receiving back signals with a bunch of data and parsing through that data with algorithms then making sense of it. Really boring shyt which is funny because it's glamorized as something else entirely (they ain't out there taking pictures of the night sky out in nature). It really goes to show that software/data parsing is basically in everything and will be for the forseeable future (but again, who knows what happens with A.I).

Last edited:

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
I don’t know I have different opinions about this type of stuff, I think kids should I do want they most interested in but if it was up to me they would be diverse in the industries they go into, for example some kids need to go into agriculture engineering while others need to go into marine engineering

I was never a big fan of “hey let’s tell everybody to go code for living” and what happened to just doing shyt that broadens your knowledge, are we sure we want kids to base the lives around how much money they can produce for another mf

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
I don’t know I have different opinions about this type of stuff, I think kids should I do want they most interested in but if it was up to me they would be diverse in the industries they go into, for example some kids need to go into agriculture engineering while others need to go into marine engineering

I was never a big fan of “hey let’s tell everybody to go code for living” and what happened to just doing shyt that broadens your knowledge, are we sure we want kids to base the lives around how much money they can produce for another mf
Not around how much they can produce for somebody else but how much they can make for themselves. I told my daughters don't try and get a job based on what you love or your passions (both loved music), cause eventually that'll turn into just another job and they can always do their passions on the side. Meanwhile following careers that make a lot of money will afford them the opportunity to explore whatever passions they have on the side. People change and the same thing we love at 20 won't necessarily be the same thing we love at 40.

It be the same ones that get degrees broadening their knowledge or following passions into non-lucrative degrees with crazy student loan debt that complain about college being a rip off.

Last edited:

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
Not around how much they can produce for somebody else but how much they can make for themselves. I told my daughters don't try and get a job based on what you love or your passions (both loved music), cause eventually that'll turn into just another job and they can always do their passions on the side. Meanwhile following careers that make a lot of money will afford them the opportunity to explore whatever passions they have on the side. People change and the same thing we love at 20 won't necessarily be the same thing we love at 40.

It be the same ones that get degrees broadening their knowledge or following passions into non-lucrative degrees with crazy student loan debt that complain about college being a rip off.
I disagree with this, most people who go to college for the money majors are the ones complaining about debt and switching careers constantly or not even graduating at all
You say for them to make money for themselves that’s the same thing as making money for somebody else
And you can make money in the shyt you interested in
And the whole purpose for there even being a such thing as a college is for scholarship not to get a job