Tariq & Akademiks Arguing Over Origins of Hip Hop

Uncouth Savage

All Star
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY
And I told you before I have them in my family and been to over 40 countries so you wrong. You been wrong the entire time. And you think you’re right for absolutely no reasons except “that’s what the Caribbean’s think”

Ok well the Americans don’t want somebody coming here stealing our culture and denying our influence on him. If you been here 35 years and still talking bout “don’t take it from US” then you also agree. If Ak said exactly what you said, I’d be with you. But he didn’t. He said the opposite. He said fukk what Jim Brown talking bout and them nikkas with him, IM JAMAICAN

So I’ll go back to what I said. Argue with Ak about what he chooses to claim. I’m just going to believe him

Let’s take FL and NY. Dude moves at 3 from Brooklyn to Florida. People in Florida like man you a Florida nikka now. But dude is adamant. Nah I’m a New Yorker and matter of fact, y’all bit bass music from us.

You think Florida nikkas gonna be like “nah fam you with us now”. Nah they gonna be like “oh aight. fukk you then New York nikka”

Main issue I have with folks is lumping whole groups together
knowing in a family, street, city everyone has a different mindset
so I will not do that to my down south brothers

so as some wite people are evil dogs
some people are wonderful angels
as with blk, asians, and every damn thing else

so let us say Akademiks is a yaadman
he born there
he would be considered a "uptown" guy
as in one of those guys who speaks the queens english, went to college, and has weird classist opinions
most likely mixed
on average
not all yet many

the opposite of that would be a ghetto youth who lives in a board house with zinc roof, no food, no father, no money for school

there are other variances.....point being even in Jamaica....akademiks would not be considered "real"
he would have been writing articles in the newspapers like Carolyn Cooper on some elitist shyt

Last edited:

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
And I just explained why: Age perception!

Those guys didn't hate HipHop from a musical POV because prior to 1979, HipHop was purely nothing more than Funk/Disco songs with rhyming over it and not original HipHop compositions.

2) Syncopated rhyming over these same beats aka Rapping. If rapping hadn't come along, there would be no such thing as rap/hiphop music being a sound unto itself because there would have been nothing to distinguish it from its root.

Read below:

9o5CkLg.jpg

umJB6VB.jpg

and

8T11AIC.jpg

Touches on the relation of HipHop to Disco and how Disco was IN FACT embraced by the crowd that would later become HipHop

4s2hDzA.jpg

zIGKIov.jpg

Now, the question is, who caused the "rhyming over disco/funk songs" that would give birth to rap music? The answer is Dj Hollywood!!

As I've already pointed out, the Herc scene had NO RAPPERS!!

even Sal Alabatello noticed this when he hired Herc to play at the Fever

Dt6wygn.png

......his scene was focused on playing music for the bboys but in the so-called "Disco dj" world of the black overground mobile jocks (not the gays world of Larry Levan and Frankie Knuckles) of Pete Dj Jones, Dj Hollywood, Grandmaster Flowers and Eddie Cheeba, they had dudes rapping on the mic as early as 1970 with Hollywood perfecting/creating the modern style by 1972.

Herc little circle of bboys was already dying by 1975/1976 because cats was already turning to the mic/listening to rhyming lyrics (something Herc's crowd didn't specialize in) after seeing Hollywood. Dj Jazzy Jay of Zulu Nation talks about it here:

YaSGRZ2.png

^^(the part about harlemites adopting bronx rap style is wrong; it's actually the reverse: see --> "DJ Hollywood and his crowd were the first rapping to the beat, not Herc's crowd" - Melle Mel

Flash also talks about the influence of Hollywood:

ZKiAl0l.png

Hollywood, Chheba and Luv Bug sum it all up in this clip

"hiphop would have died in the 70s if it wasn't for the rapper"

What those guys hated was the young teenagers doing bboy moves in the middle of the club, since they were shoe places.

1sm2Sb2.jpg

Hollywood speaks on it here

with all due respect
I don’t understand what this has to do with the statement of Cholly Rock saying they hated hip-hop
he was specifically referring to the Brooklynites DJ’s of Flowers , Momoa , Pete Jones etc. etc. so bringing up DJ Hollywood , Lovebug Starsky etc. etc. dem Harlem DJ’s/mc’s is irrelevant to Cholly statement

Let’s keep it a buck
he use the term (hated) which is the most extreme term that can be given to an individual and not only that …. he used it multiple times - in multiple different interviews …. we just can’t gloss over that
so me personally … I’m going to take his word over anybody else

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
with all due respect
I don’t understand what this has to do with the statement of Cholly Rock saying they hated hip-hop
he was specifically referring to the Brooklynites DJ’s of Flowers , Momoa ,
Pete Jones etc. etc. so bringing up DJ Hollywood , Lovebug Starsky etc. etc. dem Harlem DJ’s/mc’s is irrelevant to Cholly statement

Flowers and Pete Dj Jones are from the same crowd...the same crowd that ran with Hollywood!

Let’s keep it a buck
he use the term (hated) which is the most extreme term that can be given to an individual and not only that …. he used it multiple times - in multiple different interviews …. we just can’t gloss over that
so me personally … I’m going to take his word over anybody else

I explained why a thousand times! He's attempting to further drive home the Disco vs Bboys divide that was based on age & aesthetic which has nothing to do with music. To prove even further why the take is trash, take note of Pete Dj Jones and Flowers' names being listed on the same bill with people we would identify as "hiphop"

Pete Dj Jones

ON3c2a6.jpg

Flowers

gfcmNE1.jpg

You would have never seen Larry Levan or Frankie Knuckles being mentioned on those bills for obvious reasons. Finally, on the 30 years of HipHop docu (2004), listen to the name (they also shout out Eddie Cheeba, Dj Hollywood and Disco King Mario) they shout out as being a pioneer of Hiphop

make it make sense:umad:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

This guy has some good info but some of his "facts" are off, since he didn't come into HipHop until 1977. His info on DJ Smokey is great though; dude has to get interviewed by someone because he predated Herc on the Westside of the Bronx but he's been largely wiped out of the history, save the few heads who happen to mention him.

Repost on Smokey:

"Dj Smokey and Disco King Mario predate Herc"

@4:50

he breaks it down even further on how the repeated hiphop origin story is perpetuated by pioneers who want all the shine for themselves so they purposely never bring up these heads that predate them. For those who don't know about Smokey, he was from the West Bronx like Herc:

1*o8walHUUfQOd_xF9V-2dSg.jpeg

repost:

dj smoke had bboys and he was around the same time as herc (actually before...many of the bboys we associate with herc were with smokey first))

“Herc had the recognition, he was the big name in the Bronx back then”, explains AJ. “Back then the guys with the big names were: Kool D, Disco King Mario, Smokey and the Smoke-a-trons, Pete DJ Jones, Grandmaster Flowers and Kool Herc. Not even Bambaataa had a big name at that time, you know what I’m sayin?”

Ill-literature with Skillz to Blaze: One Night At the Executive Playhouse

^^the ones I bolded in blue are all way before Herc (1968-1972). Dj Smoke is slightly before (1971)/from the same time and area as Herc (1973). More on him and his dance crew

V9zXsde.jpg

Even dudes that later went to Herc's parties/were part of his crew have basically verified this.

Almighty KG from Cold Crush

recent interview (he's from herc's area)

NORIN RAD:"Most people probably know you for your great contributions to the Hiphop element of MCing as a legendary member of the Cold Crush Four MCees but as you told me you were once also a B-Boy. So when and where did you witness Breaking for the very first time?"

ALMIGHTY KG:"Well, I first witnessed Breaking in about 1971 at a DJ Smokey & The Master Plan Bunch party on Grant Avenue. I saw this guy named Crip and the original Mr. Freeze breakdancing and that's kinda like when I caught the bug right there....breakdancing. "

NORIN RAD:"Most people today have a certain image of what Breaking looks like in their mind but could you elaborate please on how the dance looked like when you first saw it?"

ALMIGHTY KG:"When I first saw it was more Uprock than it was like spinning on your back and stuff like that. That actually came a little later. It was more Uprocking....it was more about expressions and things like that, you know what I'm saying? When I saw these guys breakdancing which was The Smoke-A-Trons and The Luke-A-Trons.......but you know The Smoke-A-Trons they would do something I had never seen before and that I have never seen since. They were all like gymnastics and they would do somersaults and Arabian Nights..those are like flips you see in the olympics... and go down on the floor and all that. I never passed that test to do the flipping....because I wasn't a gymnast but these guys were like street gymnasts and they were like really good...You know how you see like sometimes B-Boys they do a B-Boy move and then they go down on the ground...these guys were doing that with flips and stuff like that!! It was incredible....it was so incredible so that's what I wanted to do 'cause I was too young to buy equipment (for DJing) and Graffiti...

Castles In The Sky: August 2018

Pow Wow from Soul Sonic Force/Zulu Nation

his thoughts

Well, when did you guys decide that, from the Zulu Kings and all, that you three and Bambaataa were going to be The Soulsonic Force, more as a music group?

So it wound up just being us three that stuck it out. 'Cause me and G.L.O.B.E. were more in the hip-hop area than the Bronx River was. See, where we came from, we were hip-hop, with The L Brothers, DJ Smokey and the Smokeatron, he was from Grand Avenue. And a lot of guys, they don't talk about him. I'll get back to what we were saying, but DJ Smokey, and his brother Roscoe and the Smokeatron, they were the baddest motherfukkers out at the time, man. I mean, Flash couldn't touch them, Kool Herc couldn't touch them. Nobody was touchin' Smokey. And a lot of cats will not speak on him, which they should, because he is also a pioneer of hip-hop music.

And what happened to him?

I heard he moved out of state. I heard he moved before hip-hop music turned big. I guess he cut it loose and went about his life, but DJ Smokey and his brother Roscoe, let me tell you, they threw the baddest parties. You wanted to see some guys that could dance? Man, it was a show! There's a movie theatre we had over on 174th St in the Bronx River called The Dover movie theatre that had a place you could give parties - it's a church now - but he made that spot very popular. He used to throw block parties mostly on Grand Avenue. And this guy here, I wanna let the world know about him; he definitely deserves his props, man, because he was there in the beginning. And a lot of guys don't that brother his recognition, which is sad; and I'ma give it to him every time all the time

Werner von Wallenrod's Humble, Little Hip-Hop Blog: Be What You Be - Pow Wow Interview (Soulsonic part 1)

here goes an OG bboy who was part of herc's team who said he was bboying way before he heard of herc and was down with dj dmoke first!

Clark Kent:

84fc5e1f99d845ec38cb3d6e3f1dcb45.jpg

NORIN RAD:"What was your relationship with the legendary (N***er) Twins?"

CLARK KENT:"Well, we met when we were 8 years old and we did everything together in the beginning of hiphop. If you saw me, you saw the Twins...if you saw the Twins, you saw me..our names were cemented together, okay?! There's nothing that they were involved in that I wasn't there for and there is nothing that I was involved in that they wasn't there for. We were like triplets. Wherever you seen one you seen all three of us when it came to movin' around in Hiphop. We used to travel down to Chuck Center which is one of the places we really honed our skills at before finding out about Kool Herc and going to Kool Herc's parties. We would go to Chuck Center like every other week 'cause they had a dance contest and we used to love winning that dance contest."

NORIN RAD:"That's some precious knowledge!!! Chuck Center was located in East Harlem, right?"

CLARK KENT: "Yes on 115th Street & 2nd Avenue."

NORIN RAD: "So you were basically breaking at Chuck Center BEFORE you met Kool Herc?"

CLARK KENT:"Before I even met Kool Herc! That's where The (N***er) Twins and I honed our skills and we would go down there with cats like Wallace Dee and Chip. These are guys from the era of like Trixie and them. We ran with a whole host of cats down there before we found out what Herc was doing what he was doing on the Westside (of the Bronx).One of the names I wanna mention though is Dancing Doug!!!Back then Chuck Center was one of the places where we encountered Dancing Doug! The premier place to do breaking became Kool Herc's parties but prior to Kool Herc's we used to go to (DJ) Smokey's parties, you know, the Twins and I. From Smokey's we caught on to Chuck Center and then from Chuck Center we caught on to what Herc was doing. And out of all the places we went, you know, we honed our skills! A lot of people have this misconception that we got our skills at Kool Herc's...by the time the Twins and I arrived at Kool Herc's we was already elite!!!! And that's why we quickly ran through whoever thought they was somebody at Kool Herc's at that time.

Castles In The Sky

melle mel mentions him as the first person he saw doing hiphop in the west bronx

Green Eyed Genie is from Bronxdale and his thoughts on Smokey/Herc

...........that herc origin myth is exactly that, a myth

now the man himself, Dj Smokey

DJ%2BSmokey%2B%2528The%2BSmoke-A-Trons%2529.jpg

NORIN RAD:"What made you pick up that name Smokey?"

DJ SMOKEY:"I was running track in Taft High School and I could run really fast. When I ran the dust would be kicking up from my sneakers. They would say, "What do we got here? You're smoking!" "Hey, Smokey!" See! So the name kept sticking. I kept the nickname when I was DJing..it said DJ Smokey! That's how the name came about..DJ Smokey! As time went on I dropped the Y and it was DJ Smoke. People just kept calling me DJ Smokey. Flash and them would call me DJ Smokey. Kool Herc called me DJ Smokey."

NORIN RAD: "When did you form your dance crew? The Smoke-A-Trons? Was that around 1974/75?"

DJ SMOKEY: "No. That was around 1972."

NORIN RAD: "From your recollection how did Breaking as a dance come about? What are its roots?"

DJ SMOKEY: " Okay, in 1969 the dance at these 25 Cent parties in the basements and in the clubs started to change, it was more of a expression vibe. Like this song that came out in 1970 "Express Yourself!" You see it was more of a rush dance, a anger dance. "Say It Loud I'm Black And I'm Proud" ..they were like "Ahhhh, I'm angry!" A anger dance!! Like "I'm tired of all this shyt....who you're calling ******?" and it was also like "I'm from this block you're from that block!" You know what I'm saying? Two guys would go at each other....

NORIN RAD:"Damn! Melle Mel mentioned that the first B-Boy party he ever witnessed took place at The Cave with you playing the music....Was that a club?"

DJ SMOKEY:"It was a community center. One of the buildings had a big community center and it was in that center!"

NORIN RAD:" From what I've heard you also used to do parties at your apartment on Grant Avenue where B-Boys got down at heavily..."

DJ SMOKEY:" Yes!! All day long!!! All day long!!! My apartment was on 169th street & Grant Avenue...5D!!! On the fifth floor....We played music 24/7 !! That's where my Smoke-A-Trons..they would come in there daily, hang out and dance. We would also do block parties on Grant Avenue in the summer time."

NORIN RAD:"Who were your DJ partners back then? That ran with your crew?"

DJ SMOKEY:"Jerry D! Rob The Gold! There were also a lot of other DJs that played with me like Flash, Lovebug Starski and Mean Gene (from the legendary L-Brothers)."

DJ Rob The Gold (The Master Plan Bunch)

DJ Jerry Dee (The Master Plan Bunch)

Castles In The Sky

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
Flowers and Pete Dj Jones are from the same crowd...the same crowd that ran with Hollywood!

I explained why a thousand times! He's attempting to further drive home the Disco vs Bboys divide that was based on age & aesthetic which has nothing to do with music. To prove even further why the take is trash, take note of Pete Dj Jones and Flowers' names being listed on the same bill with people we would identify as "hiphop"

Pete Dj Jones

ON3c2a6.jpg

Flowers

gfcmNE1.jpg

You would have never seen Larry Levan or Frankie Knuckles being mentioned on those bills for obvious reasons. Finally, on the 30 years of HipHop docu (2004), listen to the name (they also shout out Eddie Cheeba, Dj Hollywood and Disco King Mario) they shout out as being a pioneer of Hiphop

Again, it’s still irrelevant whether or not Flowers and Pete Jones were in the same circle as Hollywood - Cholly was only referring to dem Brooklyn nikkaz … as far as i know - Hollywood doesn’t claim to be the 1st DJ that birth hip hop music - his beef is more to not getting his props for being the 1st DJ to mc over the beats

the divide that was based on age & aesthetic not the music
is flat out ridiculous… them 2 go , hand in hand
and you can explain for a thousand , ten thousands , hundreds thousand , a million times
imma take the word of Cholly the original B_Boy word over anybody

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Again, it’s still irrelevant whether or not Flowers and Pete Jones were in the same circle as Hollywood - Cholly was only referring to dem Brooklyn nikkaz … he's -

If you seen enough of his interviews, he's really talking about all the older guys that were part of the mobile jock circuit that predated the likes of Herc.

Hollywood doesn’t claim to be the 1st DJ that birth hip hop music - his beef is more to not getting his props for being the 1st DJ to mc over the beats

Hollywood always says he's the first rapper in the hiphop style/setting (and people who were there from caz to melle say that it's 100% fact); he makes no claim on bboy culture though

"they took my game, changed the name and then tried to say I wasn't a part of it"

:hhh:

even the term "HipHop" came from the same Hollywood circle

is flat out ridiculous… them 2 go , hand in hand

they don't actually

and you can explain for a thousand , ten thousands , hundreds thousand , a million times
imma take the word of Cholly the original B_Boy word over anybody

Melle Mel, himself is an OG bboy and the first RAPPPER outside the disco-rap style and this is what he says:

3rd Ward Swangin

Superstar
Daps
Tariq is right somewhat.

But Pimps creating "Rapping" "Raps" Putting Raps over a certain type of beat created Hiphop.

Man y’all need to hurry and post everything before she goes ghost again

I’m telling y’all

hurry up

You can’t call something rap before the term hip hop/rap was invented.

Miss me with that BS.

People like tariq can’t accept the fact that not everything was started by people like him lmao

ehhh its up for debate... but for Tariq to always discredit the contributions of Caribbeans to hip hop is weak.

Stop the Bull chit, FBA started that. Lil Baby was one of the originators.

Even Bob Marley and them was trying to sing like FBA.

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
If you seen enough of his interviews, he's really talking about all the older guys that were part of the mobile jock circuit that predated the likes of Herc.

Hollywood always says he's the first rapper in the hiphop style/setting (and people who were there from caz to melle say that it's 100% fact); he makes no claim on bboy culture though

"they took my game, changed the name and then tried to say I wasn't a part of it"

:hhh:

even the term "HipHop" came from the same Hollywood circle

they don't actually

Melle Mel, himself is an OG bboy and the first RAPPPER outside the disco-rap style and this is what he says:

So you pretty much agree with me besides the DJ Hollywood affiliation

again no disrespect
but you’re still not making sense if you’re going to say Pete , Flowers , Momoa are in the same circle as Hollywood when the others are from Brooklyn , a lil older & catered to a more mature audience ….. while Hollywood is a Harlemnite , younger & catered to a hipper audience

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
So you pretty much agree with me besides the DJ Hollywood affiliation

giphy.gif

again no disrespect
but you’re still not making sense if you’re going to say Pete , Flowers , Momoa are in the same circle as Hollywood when the others are from Brooklyn ,

The mobile scene was a scene/collection of djs that went everywhere regardless of where each individual dj was actually from.

a lil older & catered to a more mature audience ….. while Hollywood is a Harlemnite , younger & catered to a hipper audience

I think you're under the assumption that these djs only played in clubs; they also dj'ed in parks/outside, which means younger kids saw and heard them

How else do you think a young Clark Kent got on Flowers' set?

Kool D who also ran with Pete Dj Jones/Flowers(his mentor)/DJ Hollywood etc.....also played in clubs

HUWAptq.jpg

was playing outside in Bronxdale and then hooked up with Disco King Mario and it was them, who put Baambatta on

Right here, Baambatta falt out says that Kool Dee was pioneer dj of HipHop on the East side of the BX and he was playing in parks

AojCG7s.jpg

he went to Bronx River with his equipment (home of Baambatta) and everyone was blown away because they had never seen anything like it before

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
giphy.gif

The mobile scene was a scene/collection of djs that went everywhere regardless of where each individual dj was actually from.

I think you're under the assumption that these djs only played in clubs; they also dj'ed in parks/outside, which means younger kids saw and heard them

How else do you think a young Clark Kent got on Flowers' set?

Kool D who also ran with Pete Dj Jones/Flowers(his mentor)/DJ Hollywood etc.....also played in clubs

HUWAptq.jpg

was playing outside in Bronxdale and then hooked up with Disco King Mario and it was them, who put Baambatta on

Right here, Baambatta falt out says that Kool Dee was pioneer dj of HipHop on the East side of the BX and he was playing in parks

AojCG7s.jpg

he went to Bronx River with his equipment (home of Baambatta) and everyone was blown away because they had never seen anything like it before

da video u posted with DJ Kool Dee - proves my point :russ:

Ish Gibor

Omnipresence
Daps

Pete Dj Jones

ON3c2a6.jpg

Flowers

gfcmNE1.jpg

Are you from the Bronx or Brooklyn? People from the BX swear by it that Hip Hop arose and developed at the Bronx not Brooklyn. I never heard anyone in earlier days make the claim Brooklyn was a factor in the early stage of development, and I knew people from both places. I'm wondering why no one ever made claims to the birth of Hip Hop being from Brooklyn in 80s, that part is confusing to. MC Shan said "Queens Bridge", but rectified that one quick, or rather was forced to do so. The ticket and flyers are convincing and hard to refute.

The Bronx Anthem: Origin of Hip Hop.

Respect and big thanks to Micheal Wayne for documenting all this…

1970's BK/QUEENS DISCO PARTY SCENE ..VS.. EARLY BRONX HIP HOP CULTURE
Apr 7, 2015: "Grandmaster Flowers, Pete DJ Jones and others are the founders of the 1970's disco music scene….Mario, herc, bambaataa. Flash and other rebellious teenagers from the Bronx NY are the founders of Hip Hop."

EARLIEST HIP HOP 1970-75 "BRONXDALE WAS LIKE THE ROMAN EMPIRE" ... DOMINATING OTHER AREAS
Dec 18, 2017 We respect all other true Hip Hop stories... But no Hip Hop story comes before Bronxdale's Hip Hop story with The Black Spades Young Spades and Baby Spades... Deejay Phase and Green Eye Genie teaching…."

I think I have some old recorded docs on video tapes. I have to go diggin' and rewatch them when time suits. From what I recall I never heard anyone claim Brooklyn as the origin, I always heard the BX.

Pertaining Frankie, it's interesting how he came for the BX, moved to Chicago and became the originator of with became WareHouse (House) music. The similarities in the development of House and Hip Hop are strikingly similar. Where Hip Hop used break beats in repetitive mode, house started to use the 4 on the floor (4/4 with the 3rd on the back beat), with soulful melodies in repetitive mode.

Frankie Knuckles @ Warehouse, Chicago, 1977.

About ten years later Hip House arose.

Last edited:

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
i think your confusing my statement

HipHop origins was created in the Soundview section with the whole Black Spades movement : Herc sister attended a Soundview party/bash sometime in ‘72
thereafter she told her younger brother about what she heard & what she saw … and as they say ‘the rest is history‘ them being Jamaican has nothing to do with anything

with that said - i’ll alwayz give Herc his rightfully status of the godfather of the culture

Even Kool Herc says that he is not the father of Hip Hop. Herc acknowledges James Brown as the father of Hip Hop and and he was Herc's biggest inspiration. :

KOOL HERC WANTS TO PAY TRIBUTE TO JAMES BROWN​

BY · 03/13/2006

Artisan News Service

Hip hop pioneer Kool Herc is largely credited as one of the founders of hip hop. But surprisingly Herc credits the Godfather of Soul James Brown for being his inspiration. Kool Herc explained,
Kool Herc was one of several hip hop founders who participated in the Smithsonian’s announcement about its new hip hop initiative. The Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History has launched a new multi-year initiative titled, Hip-Hop Won’t Stop: The Beat, The Rhymes, The Life, that will document hip hop history.
“And James Brown is my inspiration with the music. I’m a spin-off of James Brown. Hip hop is a spin-off of James Brown. James Brown don’t know that but as I go out to you right now James I want to do a tribute to you.”
https://artisannews.com/kool-herc-wants-to-pay-tribute-to-james-brown/#
https://artisannews.com/kool-herc-wants-to-pay-tribute-to-james-brown/#

Ish Gibor

Omnipresence
Daps
Even Kool Herc says that he is not the father of Hip Hop. Herc acknowledges James Brown as the father of Hip Hop and and he was Herc's biggest inspiration. :

KOOL HERC WANTS TO PAY TRIBUTE TO JAMES BROWN​

BY · 03/13/2006

Artisan News Service

Hip hop pioneer Kool Herc is largely credited as one of the founders of hip hop. But surprisingly Herc credits the Godfather of Soul James Brown for being his inspiration. Kool Herc explained,
Kool Herc was one of several hip hop founders who participated in the Smithsonian’s announcement about its new hip hop initiative. The Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History has launched a new multi-year initiative titled, Hip-Hop Won’t Stop: The Beat, The Rhymes, The Life, that will document hip hop history.
“And James Brown is my inspiration with the music. I’m a spin-off of James Brown. Hip hop is a spin-off of James Brown. James Brown don’t know that but as I go out to you right now James I want to do a tribute to you.”

KOOL HERC WANTS TO PAY TRIBUTE TO JAMES BROWN – Artisan News, ANS Entertainment – Music & Entertainment News
KOOL HERC WANTS TO PAY TRIBUTE TO JAMES BROWN – Artisan News, ANS Entertainment – Music & Entertainment News

How can it be JB was the father of this subculture, if he wasn't anywhere near these B Boys? His influences in undeniable.

“And James Brown is my inspiration with the music. I’m a spin-off of James Brown. Hip hop is a spin-off of James Brown. James Brown don’t know that but as I go out to you right now James I want to do a tribute to you."

Guess we can't argue what Herc feels and thinks if he gives JB all the credit. I suspect the syncopated beats is what Herc tried to emulate?

Last edited: