Tariq & Akademiks Arguing Over Origins of Hip Hop

truth2you

All Star
Daps
I remember him saying something along the lines of Flash being a clown and that Flash wasn't a hiphop pioneer. @truth2you might remember who interviewed Herc for that/what was said.
I can’t find the video, but it was some radio interview, and they were talking about “the get down” on Netflix

Kool herc was just acting disrespectful, but he got mad when Flash was mentioned

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Dude, Cholly Rock (he's a first generation zulu king which is mid-1970s) wasn't at Herc's early Jams; he admits he first saw Herc at the Hevalo which is 1975. Cholly can't explain why people who actually ran with Herc (Clark Kent, Trixie, Niqqa Twins etc...) all say he wasn't looping breaks in 1973. The true nail in the coffin for herc is/was his own testimony on recounting his start and the origin of bboys:

Herc said/admitted to:

Herc:

Red Bull Music Academy Daily

m3dL3AF.jpg

herc says Dj John Brown was playing funk breaks in 1970 at Plaza disco

qvLwHYL.jpg

and at the same club, cats were going off doing breakdancing while Dj John was mc'ing!!!!!! This is also confirmed by the grafitti artist, Phase 2 who Herc ran with (Ex Vandals)

wsDfykh.jpg

AfcCsFc.jpg

How can Herc be the creator of something he admits was going on before he was even a dj? That's exactly why Kurtil BLow called herc on the bs

kurtis blow says he saw/heard bboying and hiphop was around in 71 before herc's parties in 73

Kurtis Blow | Q&A | Celebrating 40 Years of Hip-Hop | PBS

Herc flat out said there was bboys in 1970; yet, people are trying to convince the world that Herc started it when he wasn't even a dj until 1973:russ:

dude from herc's block that knows many of the old pioneers talking about HipHop being around in 1971 and Herc being influenced by Dj John Brown who was throwing early "break" parties

Ish Gibor

Omnipresence
Daps
dude from herc's block that knows many of the old pioneers talking about HipHop being around in 1971 and Herc being influenced by Dj John Brown who was throwing early "break" parties

A lot of truths,

1304125.jpeg

Last edited:

Ish Gibor

Omnipresence
Daps
A Jamaican who lived in the Bronx, Sound View, speaks on the inception of Hip Hop. (in his point of view). I did direct him to the interviews done by Lord Jamar and Michael WayneTV, because some of the things he claims do not align with what is being said by others on Wayne TV and Lord Jamar. And he too is conflating contribution with creation (creator) / pioneering (pioneer).

Last edited:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

This guy has some good info but some of his "facts" are off, since he didn't come into HipHop until 1977. His info on DJ Smokey is great though; dude has to get interviewed by someone because he predated Herc on the Westside of the Bronx but he's been largely wiped out of the history, save the few heads who happen to mention him.

Repost on Smokey:

"Dj Smokey and Disco King Mario predate Herc"

@4:50

he breaks it down even further on how the repeated hiphop origin story is perpetuated by pioneers who want all the shine for themselves so they purposely never bring up these heads that predate them. For those who don't know about Smokey, he was from the West Bronx like Herc:

1*o8walHUUfQOd_xF9V-2dSg.jpeg

repost:

dj smoke had bboys and he was around the same time as herc (actually before...many of the bboys we associate with herc were with smokey first))

Ill-literature with Skillz to Blaze: One Night At the Executive Playhouse

^^the ones I bolded in blue are all way before Herc (1968-1972). Dj Smoke is slightly before (1971)/from the same time and area as Herc (1973). More on him and his dance crew

V9zXsde.jpg

Even dudes that later went to Herc's parties/were part of his crew have basically verified this.

Almighty KG from Cold Crush

recent interview (he's from herc's area)

Castles In The Sky: August 2018

Pow Wow from Soul Sonic Force/Zulu Nation

his thoughts

Werner von Wallenrod's Humble, Little Hip-Hop Blog: Be What You Be - Pow Wow Interview (Soulsonic part 1)

here goes an OG bboy who was part of herc's team who said he was bboying way before he heard of herc and was down with dj dmoke first!

Clark Kent:

84fc5e1f99d845ec38cb3d6e3f1dcb45.jpg

Castles In The Sky

melle mel mentions him as the first person he saw doing hiphop in the west bronx

Green Eyed Genie is from Bronxdale and his thoughts on Smokey/Herc

...........that herc origin myth is exactly that, a myth

now the man himself, Dj Smokey

Castles In The Sky

more on Smokey via

she talks about first hearing breaks and see bboys/bgirls at his parties and then she became a member of the Smoketrons (bboy crew); later, Herc recruited her to be down with his team and she became the first female mc down with him

truth2you

All Star
Daps
more on Smokey via

she talks about first hearing breaks and see bboys/bgirls at his parties and then she became a member of the Smoketrons (bboy crew); later, Herc recruited her to be down with his team and she became the first female mc down with him

What she said about breaking to the beat, and it not happening anymore, is exactly why I stopped breaking

Its just gymnastics now. It's the same with DJ's, and turntablism, they don't cut or scratch to the beat which I think turned a lot of black people off from the skill of hip hop djing

Hip Hop has to go back to the fun part again, then I think the music will sound unique again

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
What she said about breaking to the beat, and it not happening anymore, is exactly why I stopped breaking

Its just gymnastics now. It's the same with DJ's, and turntablism, they don't cut or scratch to the beat which I think turned a lot of black people off from the skill of hip hop djing

Hip Hop has to go back to the fun part again, then I think the music will sound unique again

yeah, the rise of power moves caused people to get away from the footwork/ relation to the music aspect of the dance