Tariq & Akademiks Arguing Over Origins of Hip Hop

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
you realize this same point is why Herc DID NOT start HipHop in 1973? Herc played the whole record and didn't start to attempt to loop until 1975!! Read below and watch herc get caught up in his own lies; only for the real truth to come out by people who were with Herc in the early days (Clark Kent) or who witnessed his early jams (Ceedee)

@kingofnyc

I'm still waiting for you to try to get out of the hole you dug yourself into, when by all accounts—from Herc's bboys to party goers to herc himself say that Herc only had 1 turntable in the beginning and he wasn't looping no breaks until he got to the Hevalo club in 1975/1976. You must realize that this makes Herc's 1973 back to school party as the Birth of HipHop sound like:duck:

Never forget, Zulu Nation called out Herc on that 1973 party and said no HipHop was being done at that party

Was the Kool Herc party of 1973 the birth of HipHop culture or straight up myth?

p01dwgjw.jpg

Since the 1980s, this story of the so-called "start of hiphop" has taken on a mythic status but exactly how much of it is true? Were the hallmarks of what we now think of as hiphop from rappers, bboys, to 2 turntable + 2 copies of the record, djing actually being done at this party? I don't know if yall are aware of this, but Bambatta/Zulu nation said the claim of that party being the birth of the culture is straight bogus!

Zulu Nation Says DJ Kool Herc Did Not Start Hip Hop And Is Misrepresenting The Culture

Herc is our brother, but when our family strays from us, we must first forgive them for mistakes, but let them know of their wrongdoings, and of course, welcome them back with open arms. We could go on forever about how many artists who are heavily a part of, or were a part of the Universal Zulu Nation, know and understand how serious this is. By no means should ANY of us attempt to change the course of history and flip it for a dollar or for accolades from an industry of Culture Vultures called “the media”, when we have known and still do know that many in the media want the false, doctored-up UN-truths, not the REAL truth. Especially when it comes to Hip-Hop. What is further disturbing is the falsehood that Kool Herc failed to respect the TRUE first ladies of Hip-Hop: ShaRock, Lisa Lee, Debbie Dee, Queen Amber. The women who were there ON THE MIC representing this Culture. Kool Herc went as far as saying his SISTER is the “first lady of Hip-Hop”. Kool Herc’s sister is also his marketing rep, and is part of promoting the falsehood that she (Cindy) is the “First Lady” of Hip-Hop. That’s NOT TRUE.

Kool Herc, aka Clive Campbell DID NOT BIRTH HIP-HOP CULTURE 40 YEARS AGO ON AUGUST 11, 1973. In fact, Kool Herc only did a Back To School JAM in the recreation room at 1520 Sedgewick Avenue in the Bronx. No emcees were present, no “Hip-Hop” was present (a term heavily used by LoveBug Starski and Keith Cowboy), and the Zulu Nation was already in effect. THIS is the reason for this message. Please get a pen and write this down, or go stand near the chalkboard and write this one hundred times to make SURE you remember: HIP-HOP CULTURE IS 39 YEARS OLD…ZULU NATION IS 40 YEARS OLD.

Zulu Nation Says DJ Kool Herc Did Not Start Hip Hop And Is Misrepresenting The Culture

The comment section of that article (it's gone now after they updated the website)

A couple of interesting posts from Rahiem of Grandmaster Flash & The Furious 5, who came up in the Herc/West Side scene..

"I'm Rahiem of Grandmaster Flash & The Furious 5 and the minister of information of the Zulu nation is a clown and so is ANYONE else if after 40 years of Hip-hop culture and agreeing that DJ Kool Herc is the father of Hip-hop so why would that have changed after 40 years? I used to be in Bronx river when the Zulu nation began and the Zulu nation began in 1977-78 and Kool Herc began in 1973 so do the math and the Zulu nation were still the Black Spades during the "Blackout" of 1977 and shortly afterwards became the Bronx river organization and then the Zulu nation and honestly the people who are considered to be forefathers of the Hip-hop culture actually changed the game by adding to it and Everyone who was truly there you knew who did what and we know who set trends or brought something to the game to change it and Bambaataa and the Zulu nation didn't change the game! Grandmaster Flash Changed the game!!!!! Kool Herc is the genesis of the game and Bambaataa added what? More beats? STOP IT!!!!!!!!"

^^It's well known Herc is before Baambatta and Flash.

Now here is his take on how rapping started...

"Dancers that did a dance called the B-boying or that danced to Boioing music came directly from Kool Herc parties. Kool Herc's emcees didn't rhyme to the beat but they said catchy phrases that were adopted by emcees who expounded on what they were doing after Herc's emcees and then when emcees heard DJ Hollywood is when they began rhyming to the beat!"

Again, confirms everything I've said the whole time. So-called "Disco Dj's" are the ones who started that syncopated rhyming (rapping) style.

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX

@kingofnyc

I'm still waiting for you to try to get out of the hole you dug yourself into, when by all accounts—from Herc's bboys to party goers to herc himself say that Herc only had 1 turntable in the beginning and he wasn't looping no breaks until he got to the Hevalo club in 1975/1976. You must realize that this makes Herc's 1973 back to school party as the Birth of HipHop sound like:duck:

Never forget, Zulu Nation called out Herc on that 1973 party and said no HipHop was being done at that party

Was the Kool Herc party of 1973 the birth of HipHop culture or straight up myth?

p01dwgjw.jpg

Since the 1980s, this story of the so-called "start of hiphop" has taken on a mythic status but exactly how much of it is true? Were the hallmarks of what we now think of as hiphop from rappers, bboys, to 2 turntable + 2 copies of the record, djing actually being done at this party? I don't know if yall are aware of this, but Bambatta/Zulu nation said the claim of that party being the birth of the culture is straight bogus!

The comment section of that article (it's gone now after they updated the website)

A couple of interesting posts from Rahiem of Grandmaster Flash & The Furious 5, who came up in the Herc/West Side scene..

"I'm Rahiem of Grandmaster Flash & The Furious 5 and the minister of information of the Zulu nation is a clown and so is ANYONE else if after 40 years of Hip-hop culture and agreeing that DJ Kool Herc is the father of Hip-hop so why would that have changed after 40 years? I used to be in Bronx river when the Zulu nation began and the Zulu nation began in 1977-78 and Kool Herc began in 1973 so do the math and the Zulu nation were still the Black Spades during the "Blackout" of 1977 and shortly afterwards became the Bronx river organization and then the Zulu nation and honestly the people who are considered to be forefathers of the Hip-hop culture actually changed the game by adding to it and Everyone who was truly there you knew who did what and we know who set trends or brought something to the game to change it and Bambaataa and the Zulu nation didn't change the game! Grandmaster Flash Changed the game!!!!! Kool Herc is the genesis of the game and Bambaataa added what? More beats? STOP IT!!!!!!!!"

^^It's well known Herc is before Baambatta and Flash.

Now here is his take on how rapping started...

"Dancers that did a dance called the B-boying or that danced to Boioing music came directly from Kool Herc parties. Kool Herc's emcees didn't rhyme to the beat but they said catchy phrases that were adopted by emcees who expounded on what they were doing after Herc's emcees and then when emcees heard DJ Hollywood is when they began rhyming to the beat!"

Again, confirms everything I've said the whole time. So-called "Disco Dj's" are the ones who started that syncopated rhyming (rapping) style.

:what:

dig myself out of exactly what ?

all you keep doing is regurgitating insignificant things as 2 turntables , mics , MC’s , special techniques , sound systems etc. etc. which has absolutely nothing to do with the creation of the music …. we all know hip-hop was created by the Breakbeat …. and we all know Herc was the DJ emphasize that Breakbeat

that’s a fact there is nothing else to be said

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore

all you keep doing is regurgitating insignificant things as 2 turntables , mics , MC’s , special techniques , sound systems etc. etc. which has absolutely nothing to do with the creation of the music …. we all know hip-hop was created by the Breakbeat …. and we all know Herc was the DJ emphasize that Breakbeat

that’s a fact there is nothing else to be said
How are you "emphasizing the breakbeat" when you're playing the whole record with one turntable?

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

You said herc emphasizing the break is what separated him from disco djs when:

1) disco djs were the first to do breakbeat looping on 2 turntables

2) herc never did it until 1975! according to people who actually witnessed him. Herc himself, said he wasn't looping breaks in 1973.

all you keep doing is regurgitating insignificant things as 2 turntables , mics , MC’s , special techniques , sound systems etc. etc. which has absolutely nothing to do with the creation of the music ….

all of that has something to do with how hiphop music/culture came to be from a musical/dance POV

we all know hip-hop was created by the Breakbeat …. and we all know Herc was the DJ emphasize that Breakbeat
this is false, did you not read any of what I posted?:childplease:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
How are you "emphasizing the breakbeat" when you're playing the whole record with one turntable?

@kingofnyc got himself cornered because he fails to understand how Herc playing the whole record on 1 turntable goes completely against the narrative that he invented break beat djing by employing double copies of the same record on 2 turntables for looping which turned into HipHop when it's widely known that the so-called "Disco" djs pioneered that technique, years earlier.

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
@kingofnyc got himself cornered because he fails to understand how Herc playing the whole record on 1 turntable goes completely against the narrative that he invented break beat djing by employing double copies of the same record on 2 turntables for looping which turned into HipHop when it's widely known that the so-called "Disco" djs pioneered that technique, years earlier.
I know, just waiting to see the mental gymnastics.

Ish Gibor

Omnipresence
Daps

James Brown is the clear sonic backbone of HipHop

and he did influence the early bboys

Too bad they never gave him this recognition when he was amongst us in the physical. We did sample his music a lot, but never gave him the credit.

Enjoy,

Last edited:

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
You said herc emphasizing the break is what separated him from disco djs when:

1) disco djs were the first to do breakbeat looping on 2 turntables

2) herc never did it until 1975! according to people who actually witnessed him. Herc himself, said he wasn't looping breaks in 1973.

all of that has something to do with how hiphop music/culture came to be from a musical/dance POV

this is false, did you not read any of what I posted?:childplease:
I know, just waiting to see the mental gymnastics.
@kingofnyc

Are you Caribbean bro? You're my nikka but it would make sense because of you riding so hard for this and Caribbean latinas :lolbron:

this coming outta Cholly Rock mouth pretty much puts the nail in the coffin for me - you can argue all u want … but that nikka is & will always be the 1st wave of Baby Spades & the Original BBoy - so, i don’t need a ton of meaning less quotes , pieces of articles or video bits stating a whole bunch of this & that which proves nothing

imma ADOS … my point has remain Consistent hip-hop culture is a black American invention - Herc with Bam & Flash happen to be the trifecta for this invention although the all 3 are Caribbean …. it has absolutely positively nothing to do with Reggae , Dancehall or anything Caribbean related again hip-hop is strictly black American

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

this coming outta Cholly Rock mouth pretty much puts the nail in the coffin for me - you can argue all u want … but that nikka is & will always be the 1st wave of Baby Spades & the Original BBoy - so, i don’t need a ton of meaning less quotes , pieces of articles or video bits stating a whole bunch of this & that which proves nothing

imma ADOS … my point has remain Consistent hip-hop culture is a black American invention - Herc with Bam & Flash happen to be the trifecta for this invention although the all 3 are Caribbean …. it has absolutely positively nothing to do with Reggae , Dancehall or anything Caribbean related again hip-hop is strictly black American

Dude, Cholly Rock (he's a first generation zulu king which is mid-1970s) wasn't at Herc's early Jams; he admits he first saw Herc at the Hevalo which is 1975. Cholly can't explain why people who actually ran with Herc (Clark Kent, Trixie, Niqqa Twins etc...) all say he wasn't looping breaks in 1973. The true nail in the coffin for herc is/was his own testimony on recounting his start and the origin of bboys:

Herc said/admitted to:

Herc:

When did you start to get involved in it?

I started to get involved in it right after my house got burned down. I was going to parties back then, see. A place called the Tunnel and a place called the Puzzle, right on 161st Street – that was the first disco I used to party at. Me, guys like Phase 2, Stay High, Sweet Duke, Lionel 163 – all the early graffiti writers – used to come through there. It’s where we used to meet up and party at.

Then, years later, [there was this club] called Disco Fever. Disco Fever used to be right here on 167th. But before Disco Fever there was the Puzzle. That was the first Bronx disco.

So back then you still weren’t playing?

I was dancing, I was partying. Right around 1970, I’m in high school.

That was when b-boying was starting?

Yeah, people were dancing, but they weren’t calling it b-boying. That was just the break, and people would go off. My terms came in after I started to play – I called them b-boys. Guys just used to breakdance… Right then, slang was in, and we shortened words down. Instead of disrespect, you know, you dissed me. That’s where that came from.

Red Bull Music Academy Daily

m3dL3AF.jpg

herc says Dj John Brown was playing funk breaks in 1970 at Plaza disco

qvLwHYL.jpg

and at the same club, cats were going off doing breakdancing while Dj John was mc'ing!!!!!! This is also confirmed by the grafitti artist, Phase 2 who Herc ran with (Ex Vandals)

wsDfykh.jpg

AfcCsFc.jpg

How can Herc be the creator of something he admits was going on before he was even a dj? That's exactly why Kurtil BLow called herc on the bs

kurtis blow says he saw/heard bboying and hiphop was around in 71 before herc's parties in 73

What do you consider the anniversary of Hip-Hop?

Kurtis Blow: Hip-Hop, to me, started around 1971, 1972. When I was thirteen years old, I gave my first party as a DJ at my good friend - Tony Rome's - 13th birthday party. I put two component sets together (back in the day, a component set was a TV, a radio, an 8 track player and a record player). So I took my mom’s component set and I took it to his house where his mom had a component set. We put both of them together and we had continuous music... and it was awesome. Awesome party. That was way before I knew that there were 2 turntables, and mixing, and continuous music that way. But in '72 I had this idea - We’re going to do this thing nonstop where we wouldn’t have to talk in-between the records and we could just make it happen. And so that was that was the first time I actually DJ'd. I was also was a B-Boy in 1972. But no disrespect to Kool Herc. If we want to claim that the start of Hip-Hop is 1973, I’ll go with it. And big ups to Kool Herc and that very first party, that back to school jam he gave with his sister Cindy back in 1973.

Kurtis Blow | Q&A | Celebrating 40 Years of Hip-Hop | PBS

Herc flat out said there was bboys in 1970; yet, people are trying to convince the world that Herc started it when he wasn't even a dj until 1973:russ:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
@kingofnyc

another dagger in the Herc origin myth:

Herc admitted before he was a dj he used to go to places like Neil Gwyns to dance

zPFIegq.jpg

strange enough, this article from New York Magazine Jul 1, 1974 did a profile on NYC disco clubs

VXtX2XA.jpg

the part that stood out:

vRLlYhq.png

describes/mentions someone named "Eddie" who played funk(y) music and RAPPED over/to it........this was before anyone knew about "rapping" or "hiphop" from a mainstream POV. Yall know who this "Eddie" guy was? None other than

BjBXSp4.png

These Harlemites pioneered the syncopated rhyming style and invented HIPHOP/Rap MUSIC!

1DviNRb.png

Herc was studying Harlem cats like Cheeba and Hollywood who gave herc/rest of the bronx a style to run with:sas2:

mainstream article from 1974, long before "HipHop" and "Rappers" became popular phrases to describe a culture said that "Eddie" was playing Funky music and rapping over it!