Ta-Nehisi Coates to write Black Panther comic for Marvel

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
I'm not sure he's necessarily pandering, per se. I do think he has beliefs and a POV and we're seeing some of it in his writing.

Coates, for example, clearly has an issue with monarchies. The fact that Wakanda has a monarchy despite being so technologically advanced never sat well with him. Hence, the survival of the monarchy as we know it is now on the line.
But the only reason Wakanda has stood so long is thanks to said Monarchy.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Yeah, this ish was all over the place. I definitely wasn't feeling the Dora Milaje storyline.

Why would T'Challa of all people,
resurrect Shuri
? And I'm a huge fan of Shuri, I just don't buy T'Challa doing it.

Daps
Reppin
Continental U.S.
There's a way for Coates to get his point across without necessarily going that route.

It's a big reason why I hope that we see T'Challa not just standing against the fukkery we've seen in the preview (the abuse, rapes, and trafficking of the women), but he also shuts that down and harshly punishes those responsible for it. Assuming its happening in Wakanda.

Because outside of something like happening, whether it be from T'Challa or another male character of importance, the males in the BP-verse aren't getting much of a good look. Already T'Challa is having trouble holding his country together. Now, the males in Wakanda
(not all of them of course) are being shown to take advantage of the situation and engage in some devious stuff.

Obviously Wakanda isn't a utopia, but man, shyt is crazy.
Yeah I just read this shyt, and it already had a nikka taking a double look at Coates, like really nikka, nikkas getting shytted on in a comic written by a nikka:francis:

I'm all for black excellence but if this shyt continues I'm throwing BP and Coates to the bushes :stopitslime:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
But the only reason Wakanda has stood so long is thanks to said Monarchy.

I agree. Hell the monarchy's leadership is the reason why Wakanda became so technologically advance and unconquered. And regardless of what we may think of T'Challa's decisions in NA and TRO (I had major issues with them), breh did bring everyone back. That has to count for something.

It's important for the next issues for Coates to clearly tell readers why the people are becoming restless. We already the previous events in which Wakanda has been attacked (and destroyed) are def playing a role in all this. However:

-Is the people's beef with T'Challa specifically or the monarchy in general? Or is it a bit of both?

-What exactly do the Wakandan people know about what T'Challa did in NA and TRO? We know that the Hatute Zeraze and the doras sided with Shuri when T'Challa lied about harboring Namor. Shuri bans him right after. Did the Wakandan people themselves know about his banning and why he was banned from his country? This bring more context on why they are "ashamed" with T'Challa and why some are addressing him as the "orphan king"

-Lastly, what do the people want in the end? Someone else to rule? A new system of government altogether?

Hopefully we get answers on that front soon.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Yeah I just read this shyt, and it already had a nikka taking a double look at Coates, like really nikka, nikkas getting shytted on in a comic written by a nikka:francis:

I'm all for black excellence but if this shyt continues I'm throwing BP and Coates to the bushes :stopitslime:

My hope is that despite the troubles going on in Wakanda, the women and the men of the country can come together to fix it.

But at the moment...we are entering uncharted waters for the country. It'll probably be much worse before it gets better.

Last edited:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Yeah, this ish was all over the place. I definitely wasn't feeling the Dora Milaje storyline.

Why would T'Challa of all people,
resurrect Shuri
? And I'm a huge fan of Shuri, I just don't buy T'Challa doing it.

The Shuri thing is def a big wildcard here. Considering that this reveal was introduced very early in the story, I have a strong feeling that she will not only wake up at some point, but will play a key role in helping T'Challa solve the problems he is facing.

As for why he's doing it, I can only speculate. In my opinion:

-Perhaps T'Challa felt somewhat guilty that he wasn't able to bring her back properly, like the others?

-Perhaps he feels she would be of great help to solve the problem of the country? We don't know exactly how popular she was with the people at the time of her reign. However, she had the support of the Doras, the Hatute Zeraze, and key members of the Wakandan government. Perhaps the Wakandan people themselves approved of the job she was doing?

However, if T'Challa concludes that to solve the problem will require the return of a seemingly dead person...then the situation in Wakanda is much worse than we thought and T'Challa could be getting desperate?

This part of the story is probably the most intriguing one at the moment, imho. I'm very interesting in learning how this plays out.

EDIT: @nieman, just remembered....

Recall that during NA, the Wakandan people were down for war with Atlantis, a sentiment that Shuri not only agreed with, but also delivered thoroughly by sending Wakandan troops to destroy Atlantis. She ended up getting retribution for her people and her country.

She might actually quite popular with the people. Perhaps T'Challa feels her presence would help calm things down a bit?

Last edited:

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
The Shuri thing is def a big wildcard here. Considering that this reveal was introduced very early in the story, I have a strong feeling that she will not only wake up at some point, but will play a key role in helping T'Challa solve the problems he is facing.

As for why he's doing it, I can only speculate. In my opinion:

-Perhaps T'Challa felt somewhat guilty that he wasn't able to bring her back properly, like the others?

-Perhaps he feels she would be of great help to solve the problem of the country? We don't know exactly how popular she was with the people at the time of her reign. However, she had the support of the Doras, the Hatute Zeraze, and key members of the Wakandan government. Perhaps the Wakandan people themselves approved of the job she was doing?

However, if T'Challa concludes that to solve the problem will require the return of a seemingly dead person...then the situation in Wakanda is much worse than we thought and T'Challa could be getting desperate?

This part of the story is probably the most intriguing one at the moment, imho. I'm very interesting in learning how this plays out.

EDIT: @nieman, just remembered....

Recall that during NA, the Wakandan people were down for war with Atlantis, a sentiment that Shuri not only agreed with, but also delivered thoroughly by sending Wakandan troops to destroy Atlantis. She ended up getting retribution for her people and her country.

She might actually quite popular with the people. Perhaps T'Challa feels her presence would help calm things down a bit?
I see it now. He's gonna abdicate the throne to her. If he's disgraced at the end though I'm through with Marvel, cause it seems like they want to emasculat black men where ever they can. They did it with Luke, with Patriot and if they do it with T'challa I'm done.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
I see it now. He's gonna abdicate the throne to her. If he's disgraced at the end though I'm through with Marvel, cause it seems like they want to emasculat black men where ever they can. They did it with Luke, with Patriot and if they do it with T'challa I'm done.

I don't think he'll abdicate the throne. He just got it back, it would be weird for Marvel to have him lose it again so soon. Especially considering he's getting a major push as a character and as the King of Wakanda.

I think Shuri's ultimate role, beyond possibly being able to calm things down a bit (and its only speculation that she can, at the moment), will really depend on what type of government Wakanda will have once the dust settles.

If I was a betting man, I would say that Wakanda would probably enter into something resembling a constitutional monarchy (like the UK). The monarchy will be around and will be influential but it won't have the same authority it once had. Instead, it will have something akin to a parliament and council (it's members will be chosen by the Wakandan people), with the head of the council being something like the Prime Minister. I could see Shuri being part of that council, or possibly being the head of the council at some point.

This allows T'Challa to remain King and BP and continue having adventures throughout the marvel universe. This time, he won't have to worry too much about the welfare of the country, as there is a government body, possibly headed by someone he trusts, handling the day-to-day duties on a full-time basis.

Last edited:

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
Been tryna cop the Jay Z cover of this but it's sold out everywhere at Midtown Comics

EDIT: just copped on ebay for $8...BP and Miles Morales are officially running my collection this year :myman:

Last edited:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Preview for Issue #2

BLAP202002-col-a7b1f.jpg

Yooooooooooo this page got me dying...:dead:

-T'Challa straight leaves the meeting throwing the deuces. :russ::russ:

-The Hatute Zeraze breh looks pissed, Ramonda had to calm him down.

BLAP202003-colREV-d93b1.jpg

BLAP202004-col-e1c57.jpg

The second panel is causing mad debates already (some of it in this thread too). Is that in Wakanda? Is it in a neighboring nation? If its in Wakanda, are things that bad that abuse and human trafficking are happening more often (this is the second case readers are learning about already. First one was on #1)? Where parts of Wakanda always like this even in good times? If its not in Wakanda, why are the Midnight Angels doing there?

Speaking of the Midnight Angels, Aneka and Ayo look mad heroic fighting the human traffickers. By the time they face T'Challa, they are going to have a lot of support and sympathy. It also appears they will be able to rally the people against the monarchy. Their actions in the preview will definitely earn them a lot of kudos from the locals.

As for the capital of Wakanda, the home of the royal family....

56b393152b870.jpg

Looks like the Golden City's gonna take another L. The city is lit....literallly. People seem fed with the monarchy for real, this time. How is T'Challa gonna react to all this? Boots on the ground? Fighting his own people? Answer with force?

shyt's going down on May 4:sadcam:

Un-AmericanDreamer

Simp City
Daps

Some tension is healthy for storytelling, I think coates is going for a game of thrones type story where we see people doing fukked up shyt, for complex reasons. If so, I can appreciate that approach. I don't want to see wakandas being boring and one dimensional avoiding any negative traits , it doesn't have to be empire, I want to see some balance of fukkery.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Some tension is healthy for storytelling, I think coates is going for a game of thrones type story where we see people doing fukked up shyt, for complex reasons. If so, I can appreciate that approach. I don't want to see black people being boring and one dimensional unnecessary avoiding any negative traits , it doesn't have to be empire, I want to see some balance of fukkery.
I think He's referring to the shytting on of men in the issue.

Un-AmericanDreamer

Simp City
Daps
I think He's referring to the shytting on of men in the issue.
I get it, but at the same time. What do you expect? You're seeing Wakanda unfold at its seems, Wakanda is going through some hard times, you gotta go hard because without it there wouldn't be a context for the state of things. This isn't a racial thing, this is a society thing. If it's like this for the entire run, I can see, but If he can humanize wakandans, then it's a good thing.