Ta-Nehisi Coates to write Black Panther comic for Marvel

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
I get it, but at the same time. What do you expect? You're seeing Wakanda unfold at its seems, Wakanda is going through some hard times, you gotta go hard because without it there wouldn't be a context for the state of things. This isn't a racial thing, this is a society thing. If it's like this for the entire run, I can see, but If he can humanize wakandans, then it's a good thing.
When were Wakandans note human?

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
I get it, but at the same time. What do you expect? You're seeing Wakanda unfold at its seems, Wakanda is going through some hard times, you gotta go hard because without it there wouldn't be a context for the state of things. This isn't a racial thing, this is a society thing. If it's like this for the entire run, I can see, but If he can humanize wakandans, then it's a good thing.

Obviously, race isn't an issue here. Coates himself said gender will be more of a factor than race in this story arc.

Folks are having concerns because, so far, the men of this story arc (not all of course) have been seen committing some devious shyt. Already we have a chieftain that was a child molester and folks have been letting it slide for a minute (something I find hard to believe, but it is what it is). Now we have more dudes engaging in human trafficking. Meanwhile, the only folks willing to stand up against such things head on are women.

Obviously we are very early in the game and we could see men in the story--whether it be T'Challa or someone else--do their part to stand up against it. I hope that happens.

As for the Wakandans, they have already been humanized, at least to me. They all don't think the same all the time, but they obviously have values and traditions that makes them, them.

Coates probably intends to add more detail to that, in fairness to him.

Daps
Reppin
Continental U.S.
Obviously, race isn't an issue here. Coates himself said gender will be more of a factor than race in this story arc.

Folks are having concerns because, so far, the men of this story arc (not all of course) have been seen committing some devious shyt. Already we have a chieftain that was a child molester and folks have been letting it slide for a minute (something I find hard to believe, but it is what it is). Now we have more dudes engaging in human trafficking. Meanwhile, the only folks willing to stand up against such things head on are women.

Obviously we are very early in the game and we could see men in the story--whether it be T'Challa or someone else--do their part to stand up against it. I hope that happens.

As for the Wakandans, they have already been humanized, at least to me. They all don't think the same all the time, but they obviously have values and traditions that makes them, them.

Coates probably intends to add more detail to that, in fairness to him.
I'm giving dude 3 more issues and by the look of the 2nd book lit ain't promising I'm goin to keep reading this.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
I'm giving dude 3 more issues and by the look of the 2nd book lit ain't promising I'm goin to keep reading this.

Imma give him about 6 issues. I want to see what happens after Wakanda falls, which appears to happen in the next issue.

I feel like he's pandering. I've said this before.

To who exactly? Maybe he trying to get more female readers bc I can guarantee most nikkas that read the 1st issue gave it the :patrice::francis::camby:

Coates's pen game is on point, but the direction he's going is quite peculiar, at least to me. I understand Wakandans feeling some type of way about the stuff that went down, and that situation could deteriorate if it isn't handle soon, but where is the order? Or the attempt to restore order and clean up the streets, in the interest of safety? Is T'Challa that distracted (something Coates seems to be alluding)? Is he unable to keep it together?

As for potential pandering...its too early to say for sure, but again there's some rather peculiar stuff. Coates alluding to harmful effects of patriachy in Wakanda is an interesting choice, considering that a woman, Shuri, was the Queen of Wakanda very recently. Not only was she queen, she had the respect of her people and the Wakandan government. Shuri isn't the first female BP either; Wakanda has had female rulers in the past. I never got the impression that ones gender would be an issue in terms of leadership. If anything, the two things that generally rubs Wakandans the wrong way are foreigners and Wakandans that stray too far from their traditional values.

This isn't to say that all of Wakanda doesn't suffer from misogony. It's very possibly that there are a few that could be on that BS. Perhaps Coates is emphasizing on those few. What I do hope, in that case, is that he showcases that others in Wakanda, including those in leadership, don't roll that way.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Imma give him about 6 issues. I want to see what happens after Wakanda falls, which appears to happen in the next issue.

Coates's pen game is on point, but the direction he's going is quite peculiar, at least to me. I understand Wakandans feeling some type of way about the stuff that went down, and that situation could deteriorate if it isn't handle soon, but where is the order? Or the attempt to restore order and clean up the streets, in the interest of safety? Is T'Challa that distracted (something Coates seems to be alluding)? Is he unable to keep it together?

As for potential pandering...its too early to say for sure, but again there's some rather peculiar stuff. Coates alluding to harmful effects of patriachy in Wakanda is an interesting choice, considering that a woman, Shuri, was the Queen of Wakanda very recently. Not only was she queen, she had the respect of her people and the Wakandan government. Shuri isn't the first female BP either; Wakanda has had female rulers in the past. I never got the impression that ones gender would be an issue in terms of leadership. If anything, the two things that generally rubs Wakandans the wrong way are foreigners and Wakandans that stray too far from their traditional values.

This isn't to say that all of Wakanda doesn't suffer from misogony. It's very possibly that there are a few that could be on that BS. Perhaps Coates is emphasizing on those few. What I do hope, in that case, is that he showcases that others in Wakanda, including those in leadership, don't roll that way.
We'll see but I predict if he keeps on with this anti patriarchy jazz he's gonna lose a lot of the fans.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
We'll see but I predict if he keeps on with this anti patriarchy jazz he's gonna lose a lot of the fans.

Very possible but his run so far is getting a lot of good to great reviews. Not to mention it's still selling well (issue #2 was at the top in pre-orders). It's an interesting situation.

But as you said, we'll see how it goes.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Very possible but his run so far is getting a lot of good to great reviews. Not to mention it's still selling well (issue #2 was at the top in pre-orders). It's an interesting situation.

But as you said, we'll see how it goes.
We shall. At least we still have Priest and Hudlins runs.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Preview for issue #2 is out.

blackpanther2a.jpg

blackpanther21.jpg

blackpanther22.jpg

blackpanther23.jpg

blackpanther24.jpg

blackpanther25.jpg

blackpanther26.jpg

I'm curious on the reactions this issue will get next Wednesday.

teacher

All Star
Daps
I'm hoping he's doing the typical break the character down to build him up even better for the long run...*crosses fingers

teacher

All Star
Daps
I'm hoping he's doing the typical break the character down to build him up even better for the long run...*crosses fingers

teacher

All Star
Daps