The Return of Ta-Nehisi Coates - A decade after “The Case for Reparations,” he is ready to take on Israel, Palestine, and the American media

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
Check out the interview I just posted. They start out stating that his book is that of a terrorist
“In the backpack of a terrorist.” I think the discussion they’ve had is largely the discussion that’s been had on here.

He acknowledges that he only cares about telling one side of the story.

Agree or disagree with his reasoning, I think it’s fair to suggest that he’s being a propagandist and from the clip I don’t see him disagreeing. In fact he says more or less he’s pushing this perspective to counter the other propagandists positions being taken.

I’ll be intrigued to read it as I’m interested in seeing how he reconciles his claim that statehood exists through force with his other claims.

That said, this was manufactured good marketing for a book. If the discussion played out in good faith they’d likely agree on a few basic tenets of the conflict.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
“In the backpack of a terrorist.” I think the discussion they’ve had is largely the discussion that’s been had on here.

Agree or disagree with his reasoning, I think it’s fair to suggest that he’s being a propagandist and from the clip I don’t see him disagreeing. In fact he says more or less he’s pushing this perspective to counter the other propagandists positions being taken.

I’ll be intrigued to read it as I’m interested in seeing how he reconciles his claim that statehood exists through force with his other claims.

That said, this was manufactured good marketing for a book. If the discussion played out in good faith they’d likely agree on a few basic tenets of the conflict.
all presentations are propaganda - and the perspective he's pushing certainly has moral weight

And I reckon they would agree on some portion of events, but I've lived on Earth too long to believe they'd come to any kind of mutual agreement on the weight of those events

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
all presentations are propaganda - and the perspective he's pushing certainly has moral weight

And I reckon they would agree on some portion of events, but I've lived on Earth too long to believe they'd come to any kind of mutual agreement on the weight of those events
Im sorry, let me condense it down further:

Dokoupil has two children from a previous relationship.[15] He married fellow broadcast journalist Katy Tur in October 2017,[16] and they have two children together.[17] Dokoupil's two older children are living in Israel with their mother, his ex-wife.[18]
I don’t think a Jewish man whose family lives in Israel is the type of person you were referring to when we started this discussion.

He certainly isn’t representative of the types of people I’ve ever discussed Coates with. :pachaha:

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
I think that’s the problem Coates is pointing out.

The media has access to more information than us on an Internet forum. No matter what perspective we have. We are all talking from a certain confined perspective.

CBS, NBC, etc have the access to journalist and resources to understand conflicts with much more insight.

So for the information that passes though them to sound like us on a message board ain’t a good look.

Last edited:

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
I think that’s the problem Coates is pointing out.

The media has access to more information than us on an Internet forum. No matter what perspective we have. We are all talking from a certain confined perspective.

CBS, NBC, etc have the access to journalist and resources to understand conflicts with much more insight.

So for the information that passes though them to sound like us on a message board ain’t a good look.
Actually, I think his point is antiquated. Traditional written journalism has waning influence.

He’s yelling into the void as an academic. Or just selling books an as author.

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
Actually, I think his point is antiquated. Traditional written journalism has waning influence.

He’s yelling into the void as an academic. Or just selling books an as author.
Traditional institutions are waning.

Names who have influence over how things are spread on-line is the reason Russia is bothering to buy media foreign agents to spread misinformation.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

1/1
I admire people who can do what Ta-Nehisi Coates did in this interview: be direct and unflinching in the face of intellectually and morally unserious questions. It’s difficult to explain the concept of a “principle” to people who have none.

[Quoted tweet]
Ta-Nehisi Coates’ new book, “The Message,” is a trio of interconnected essays that examine how the stories people tell — or avoid telling — can shape and even distort reality: “I am most concerned always with those that don’t have a voice.” cbsn.ws/4gJxe2g

To post tweets in this format, more info here: https://www.thecoli.com/threads/tips-and-tricks-for-posting-the-coli-megathread.984734/post-52211196

Joe Sixpack

Build and Destroy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rotten Apple

1/1
I admire people who can do what Ta-Nehisi Coates did in this interview: be direct and unflinching in the face of intellectually and morally unserious questions. It’s difficult to explain the concept of a “principle” to people who have none.

[Quoted tweet]
Ta-Nehisi Coates’ new book, “The Message,” is a trio of interconnected essays that examine how the stories people tell — or avoid telling — can shape and even distort reality: “I am most concerned always with those that don’t have a voice.” cbsn.ws/4gJxe2g

To post tweets in this format, more info here: https://www.thecoli.com/threads/tips-and-tricks-for-posting-the-coli-megathread.984734/post-52211196

I watched that exchange and I really admired how he handled that line of questioning from that disingenuous clown..

Ta-Nehisi is brilliant and is a treasure

Conan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn

:laff:

Your takeaway is that it's fair to suggest that he is being... a propagandist?

Neo couldn't dodge this well :mjlol:

Well done. I needed the laugh

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
:laff:

Your takeaway is that it's fair to suggest that he is being... a propagandist?

Neo couldn't dodge this well :mjlol:

Well done. I needed the laugh
I mean, if you want to be disingenuous and believe that propaganda is false then have it.

He’s clear on his intent. Journalist need to share the stories to shape human action. Coates said that himself.

:ohhh:

All of that is aside from the guy pretending to be outraged over Coates having a different position and a logical reason as to why.

And y’all wonder why we can’t have valuable conversations where it isn’t just group think.:mjlol:

Thankfully Coates wasn’t an emotional coli breh :banderas:

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
Traditional institutions are waning.

Names who have influence over how things are spread on-line is the reason Russia is bothering to buy media foreign agents to spread misinformation.
Traditional institutions need to evolve.

Books + libraries, to daily news, weekly and monthly publications, to YouTube, to tweets, podcasts and TikTok.

As you pointed out, AI bot farming and astroturfing campaigns are successful because they are currently filling that void.

Even the more well read folks here are consuming more new/social media than traditional.

Conan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I mean, if you want to be disingenuous and believe that propaganda is false then have it.

He’s clear on his intent. Journalist need to share the stories to shape human action. Coates said that himself.

:ohhh:

All of that is aside from the guy pretending to be outraged over Coates having a different position and a logical reason as to why.

And y’all wonder why we can’t have valuable conversations where it isn’t just group think.:mjlol:

Thankfully Coates wasn’t an emotional coli breh :banderas:

So, you believe journalists are propagandists? Opinion boards use propaganda? Or specifically Coates?

I just want to understand when it's ok to use that term in your book.

No one is being emotional. Well, the only emotion I experienced was hilarity, reading that post, but we past that now :pachaha:

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
So, you believe journalists are propagandists? Opinion boards use propaganda? Or specifically Coates?
Is this really the hill you’re attempting to die on? It’s not even one he cares much about himself.

RASCOE: What would you say to those who I am sure listening to this, who will be concerned, who will say, look, I love "Between The World And Me." But on this, I think this could lead to antisemitism. This has gone too far. What do you say to those?

COATES: Not much.

RASCOE: Not much.

COATES: Not much. I'd say, well, if that's how you feel, that's how you feel. I can't really influence that. You have to do what you have to do. As a writer, what I have to do is I have to be able to look at myself in the mirror and be OK. I got to be able to wake up in the morning and say, I feel like I did the right thing. Folks who feel that it's doing something else and that, you know, it offends their particular politics. I'm sorry, but I have to do what I have to do, and I have to say what I have to say

He’s done a lot of interviews on the topic. His intentions are clear.

He’s using his writings as a way to help the Palestinian cause, encourage the ending of American support for genocide, and what he hopes may lead to more Palestinian voices covering the events of the region in what he views as an Israeli perspective bias in coverage.
RASCOE: It doesn't sound like it, but did you have any pause about taking this on? You could have looked at this and said, this is not my conflict. This is not my fight.

COATES: I did. I did, I did. But every single fighter jet that drops a bomb in Gaza is of American providence. This is ours. You know, I think it's irresponsible as an American to say that this isn't really my struggle while your tax dollars undergird this war. I don't think that's an option.
COATES: I meant exactly what I said. I would like to know the number of Palestinians that are working at a major bureau for a major outlet, be that TV, newspaper, magazines. I would like to know the number of Palestinians specifically.

RASCOE: Who are covering Jerusalem?

COATES: Who are covering the West Bank, who are covering Israel, who are covering this conflict, as we call it. I would like to know that. I don't necessarily need the numbers of anybody else. I need the numbers of Palestinians.

RASCOE: What do you think that would show?

COATES: Well, here's what I would say. I am here talking about this book as a Black writer. And I'm being interviewed by Black journalists. There is a kind of conversation that you and I can have that is very, very different than the conversation that somebody who doesn't have that experience has. That doesn't mean I'm not going to talk to anybody else. That doesn't mean I shouldn't talk to anybody else. It just means that there is a certain perspective. I think we recognize that across journalism. I think we would say if The New York Times did not have any Black people covering race in this country - I think we would say that's a problem. I am asking that we export that same standard to Israel, to Palestine, to the Jerusalem Bureau.
No one is being emotional.
Emotionally dap fishing :pachaha:
Or worse, fishing for an argument in hopes of a gotcha moment. :mjlol: