Subscription gaming growth as flattened -Mat Piscatella

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Yup. Microsoft has sold Game Pass on the back of As Dusk Falls, Pentiment, Grounded, Starfield, and Redfall for the last 2 years. That's not going to cut it. They need consistent AAA releases in addition to the smaller stuff. They need to have a Late 2021 output. Every year. For the whole year. If they do that the subs will start to tick up again.
People are acting like subscription game services are doomed but the fact of the matter is we haven't seen a full blown attempt at one with highly desirable games. I"m not saying the people saying this aren't correct I'm simply saying we need to see these services offer more than unknown titles, indie titles, and sold through old games that everyone has already played to see if they can actually be successful.

The only company that is going to push this is Microsoft because the other big players have a vested interest in not letting subscription services get too big because it will threaten the traditional model if it does.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
20240117_213036.jpg
I believe it. I did a cleansweep of my subscription-based services some time last year.

I cancelled my Netflix subscription (only going to renew for the new season of Castlevania), HBO Max, Disney Plus, etc. subscriptions and the only reason why I have Amazon Prime is because of the other services it provides like free shipping.

I use Fubo for Live TV (only for the NFL season), Roku to host it, Spotify for music and that's it.
Movies/TV Seasons on Amazon I'll just buy: $20 one time fee for basically every movie. Some on discount for $10 or less.
The rest of my personal entertainment outside of gaming/occasional making a beat is basically Tiktok/Social Media/Reddit, this site, etc.

Gaming subscriptions at $15/month means $180 per year. Over 5-7 years (one generation) that's somewhere between $900 - $1300.
If there were two or three gaming services you subscribe to, you're talking potentially ~$4k on games per generation.
Especially considering I only bought about 10-15 games last generation and probably will hit somewhere around 10-15 games this generation (many weren't day one buys), that's pretty steep. Because I own those games I can go back and play them at any given time, I don't need to spend money on a service for that.

People spend way too much on entertainment they're not even using. I think more will wake up and see in general the wasteful money sink subscription services are, especially as they're not maximizing it and spend most of their time on scrolling through social media.

Last edited:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I believe it. I did a cleansweep of my subscription-based services some time last year.

I cancelled my Netflix subscription (only going to renew for the new season of Castlevania), HBO Max, Disney Plus, etc. subscriptions and the only reason why I have Amazon Prime is because of the other services it provides like free shipping.

I use Fubo for Live TV (only for the NFL season), Roku to host it, Spotify for music and that's it.
Movies/TV Seasons on Amazon I'll just buy: $20 one time fee for basically every movie. Some on discount for $10 or less.
The rest of my entertainment outside of gaming is basically Tiktok/Social Media/Reddit, this site, etc.

Gaming subscriptions at $15/month means $180 per year. Over 5-7 years (one generation) that's somewhere between $900 - $1300.
If there were two or three gaming services you subscribe to, you're talking potentially ~$4k on games per generation.
Especially considering I only bought about 10-15 games last generation and probably will hit somewhere around 10-15 games this generation (many weren't day one buys), that's pretty steep. Because I own those games I can go back and play them at any given time.

People spend way too much on entertainment they're not even using. I think more will wake up and see in general the wasteful money sink subscription services are, especially when they spend most of their time on social media.

Yep, i did a clean up last month also, i kept prime (for deliveries mostly) and netflix, everything else got thrown in the bushes and i knocked my plus subscription down to essential

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

The rest of my personal entertainment outside of gaming/occasional making a beat is basically Tiktok/Social Media/Reddit, this site, etc.

Especially considering I only bought about 10-15 games last generation and probably will hit somewhere around 10-15 games this generation (many weren't day one buys), that's pretty steep. Because I own those games I can go back and play them at any given time, I don't need to spend money on a service for that.

People spend way too much on entertainment they're not even using. I think more will wake up and see in general the wasteful money sink subscription services are, especially as they're not maximizing it and spend most of their time on scrolling through social media.
The question isn’t how much it cost it’s how much you save. If you would have spent $180 a year on games that came to that service then it’s worth it just to get access to more for the same price. If not then nah.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Yeah 2023 was stacked..

outside of Dragons Dogma 2 and a potential Switch 2 I can't really think of anything major this year
Yeah, he said 2024 is gonna be ugly but GTA6 might save 2025

It’s crazy streaming is being scapegoated as the boogeyman while AAA gaming collapses all around it.

But here we are :manny:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
We can’t add out first party games day one to this service because it will negatively impact sales.

People play one game at a time so an all you can eat service isn’t valuable.

No the answer is it’s not valuable because you won’t let it be that way. Not because people don’t want it. The fact you can’t put your games on your sub service day and date is an acknowledgment of the fact that you know people want it but you can’t give it. Otherwise it wouldn’t cannibalize sales.

Leasy

Let's add some Alizarin Crimson & Van Dyke Brown
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly (BYRD GANG)
How can a service with 35 millions subscribers making hundreds of millions a month a failure???

What the fukk is going on here

shyt I don’t blame Microsoft not releasing their numbers shyt can affect negotiations with developers in regards to pricing etc…

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
How can a service with 35 millions subscribers making hundreds of millions a month a failure???

What the fukk is going on here

shyt I don’t blame Microsoft not releasing their numbers shyt can affect negotiations with developers in regards to pricing etc…
Because of the Shareholders. It's not limited to M$.

:manny:

and why would it be cool for M$ to withhold numbers and possibly lowball developers? That isn't cool

Leasy

Let's add some Alizarin Crimson & Van Dyke Brown
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly (BYRD GANG)
Because of the Shareholders. It's not limited to M$.

:manny:

I am pretty sure 90 percent is from a negotiation point of view. If I openly stating we have 49 million subscribers, these publishers going to go into demands off the gate with higher expectations. Microsoft can fudge the numbers behind closed doors. That is why when Phil was meeting with Rockstar Take Two CEO, the CEO mention you have over 30 million subscribers right Phil got uncomfortable.