Subscription gaming growth as flattened -Mat Piscatella

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
EA, Ubisoft (who now bought streaming rights to COD) sony restructured subs, nintendo restructured their service, etc.

But yeah, you’re right its really Microsoft that jumped head first into putting all their chips into subscription gam
Many of the most popular games are not allowed to come to subscription services. If companies put out an inferior product it will obviously flatline. Ubisoft and EA don't produce enough games annually to fill out a subscription service and make it worth while.

These companies have successful business models and they aren't really interested in investing in new business models that threaten to cannibalize the one they have now. In a few years when Call of Duty's Sony contract expires and it comes to Game Pass I hope to see dude post about game subscription services then.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Many of the most popular games are not allowed to come to subscription services. If companies put out an inferior product it will obviously flatline. Ubisoft and EA don't produce enough games annually to fill out a subscription service and make it worth while.

These companies have successful business models and they aren't really interested in investing in new business models that threaten to cannibalize the one they have now. In a few years when Call of Duty's Sony contract expires and it comes to Game Pass I hope to see dude post about game subscription services then.

Call of Duty mst likely won’t boost gamepass the way yall think it will

Most casual CoD players don’t even think about subscription gaming.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Call of Duty mst likely won’t boost gamepass the way yall think it will

Most casual CoD players don’t even think about subscription gaming.
Almost nobody thinks about subscription gaming because most of the top companies in the industry suppress it. The only company that has any vested interest in getting subs to pop is Microsoft and they don't have the install base or the current output to make it work yet.

This isn't consumers rejecting subscription services in gaming it's consumers being apathetic to subscription services that aren't about delivering new worthwhile content at a steady clip. Instead the industry view these services as a way to remonetize dead games. To this day I haven't subscribed to PlayStation Plus Extra because I mostly own the games that come to it that I'd want to play.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Almost nobody thinks about subscription gaming because most of the top companies in the industry suppress it. The only company that has any vested interest in getting subs to pop is Microsoft and they don't have the install base or the current output to make it work yet.

This isn't consumers rejecting subscription services in gaming it's consumers being apathetic to subscription services that aren't about delivering new worthwhile content at a steady clip. Instead the industry view these services as a way to remonetize dead games. To this day I haven't subscribed to PlayStation Plus Extra because I mostly own the games that come to it that I'd want to play.

Plysttion should try to be more like nintendo and focus more on legacy ip. Subscription gaming ust like video streaming is an endless money pit

MarcP

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Yup. Microsoft has sold Game Pass on the back of As Dusk Falls, Pentiment, Grounded, Starfield, and Redfall for the last 2 years. That's not going to cut it. They need consistent AAA releases in addition to the smaller stuff. They need to have a Late 2021 output. Every year. For the whole year. If they do that the subs will start to tick up again.

FromStLouis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
St. Louis, U.S.A.
I think xbox does a poor job of marketing game pass. When the casual person thinks of video games they think $60 games $500 consoles.

I can imagine they'd think a video game subscription service is high priced but Game Pass isn't, and xbox has to communicate that better.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I think xbox does a poor job of marketing game pass. When the casual person thinks of video games they think $60 games $500 consoles.

I can imagine they'd think a video game subscription service is high priced but Game Pass isn't, and xbox has to communicate that better.

200+ dollars a year while still having to pay full price for bigger, more popular 3rd party games (jedi, hogwarts, bg3, 2k, resident evil, etc.) is definitely not cheap. It’s not a buffet of all the biggest games of the year (especially games casual players would be interested in) its a selection of games microsoft can afford and convince smalller publishers to put games on.

Gamepass ultimate is far more expensive than most of the popular streaming services

Last edited:

kaldurahm

All Star
Daps
Price too high for me personally. I don't wanna pay more than like $7-8 a month. It's fukked up, but it's true. I unsubscribed as soon as my 3 year deal ended

FromStLouis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
St. Louis, U.S.A.
200+ dollars a year while still having to pay full price for bigger, more popular 3rd party games (jedi, hogwarts, bg3, 2k, resident evil, etc.) is definitely not cheap. It’s not a buffet of all the biggest games of the year (especially games casual players would be interested in) its a selection of games microsoft can afford and convince smalller publishers to put games on.

Gamepass ultimate is far more expensive than most of the popular streaming services

Price too high for me personally. I don't wanna pay more than like $7-8 a month. It's fukked up, but it's true. I unsubscribed as soon as my 3 year deal ended
PC GamePass and Game Pass Core are both $9 and you don't have to subscribe for the entire year.

If you haven't even tried out Game Pass you're doing yourself a disservice.

And there's Microsoft Rewards which can help pay for Game Pass.

Inherent bias may be the biggest hurdle to overcome.

I save money using Game Pass and Rewards to buy the biggest games if I want them. I'm the cheapest gamer by far and I have no trouble gaming with Xbox

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
PC GamePass and Game Pass Core are both $9 and you don't have to subscribe for the entire year.

If you haven't even tried out Game Pass you're doing yourself a disservice.

And there's Microsoft Rewards which can help pay for Game Pass.

Inherent bias may be the biggest hurdle to overcome.

I save money using Game Pass and Rewards to buy the biggest games if I want them. I'm the cheapest gamer by far and I have no trouble gaming with Xbox

Most people aren’t doing all that though. You’re basically gaming a system or taking extra steps to make it cheaper for yourself, thats not how its advertised, even someone like me who has gamepass currently isn’t really cognizant or motivated to do all that.

FromStLouis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
St. Louis, U.S.A.
Most people aren’t doing all that though. You’re basically gaming a system or taking extra steps to make it cheaper for yourself, thats not how its advertised, even someone like me who has gamepass currently isn’t really cognizant or motivated to do all that.
It's passive points if you're just playing games - maybe not as much as I'd get but you can get a couple months worth over a year with minimal effort.