Streamer Kai Cenat: Black Americans Have No Culture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
no our church and style of worship is black american culture

i know when i’m in a black american church, a white american church, or a jamaican church etc

we know our proverbs and sayings. and i know enough to keep something’s in house.

nobody ever asks for these in depths dives into caribbean culture because y’all equate shaking ass on beaches in feathered clothing to be culture and that’s it.

i know our traditions, our superstitions, hoodoo etc.

it’s for us to know we’ll keep it in house.

At this point he's just being a contrarian.

The black church is so intertwined with black art/music/community it's not even funny. It was the place where we gathered to discuss how to escape bondage and also where we gathered to fight Jim crow

Emoryal

Superstar
Daps
no but i think you shoulda at leasst known about kool herc :mjlol:

Kol herc wasnt "jamaicans" he was one jamaican who was raised almost entirely in the us. Hip hop was derived from earlier music like jazz funk r&b and soul. There were other djs of his era he just happened to be the first to merge break beats and chanting over the beat which both arent unique caribbean contributions.

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
At this point he's just being a contrarian.

The black church is so intertwined with black art/music/community it's not even funny. It was the place where we gathered to discuss how to escape bondage and also where we gathered to fight Jim crow
The black church was probably the most important institution back in the day

HimmyHendrix

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
The End
Tell us you're Jamaican without telling us you're Jamaican

And even if we were to entertain the idea of hip hop coming from Jamaica it would be hilarious that you chose to sample African American music for the first 20 years of existence.
not only that: reggae/ska are actually from black american music even tho we don’t claim it

bob marley himself started out covering black american bands when he was with the wailers.

and reggae takes from blues/jazz/and rnb

we could easily push the agenda but we don’t

#BOTHSIDES

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
The Chi
Explain the culture for those that don't know.
Everyone has a culture. it’s impossible not to

Culture is pretty much what you do

-Freedom fighting
-Blk American movements inspired many African nations to seek their independence. Ghana’s President Kwame Nkrumah attended an HBCU which changed his outlook in a positive way
-fela kuti was inspired by James brown
-Music
-Blk movements
-Pop/mainstream
-Food
-many blks outside of America try to present themselves like blk Americans in terms of style
-blk American have continuously fought to move up the ranks, I don’t see that too much outside of America
-blk Americans have put themselves in nearly every part of society— President, lawyers, mayors (of major cities), governors, doctors, scientists, etc.
I could go on. God bless America 🇺🇸

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
Kol herc wasnt "jamaicans" he was one jamaican who was raised almost entirely in the us. Hip hop was derived from earlier music like jazz funk r&b and soul. There were other djs of his era he just happened to be the first to merge break beats and chanting over the beat which both arent unique caribbean contributions.
The thing is, he wasnt the first to do this either

The origins of hip hop are well documented, ON THIS VERY SITE by @IllmaticDelta

you dont even have to leave this site to know this :mjlol:

nikkas like @Brandsdale and others use any instance to latch on to things like this, to have some type of cultural collateral on fba global influence

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
mehhh your culture is tied to brands and western capitalism

its different if your folks are from africa or the caribbean

hip hop was created in jamaica
soul food comes from african dishes
clothing is primarily brands made by whites or produced in asain countries

americans just dont wanna admit it but you have low levell of culture cause slavery takes up most of the ancestral timeline
You uninformed b*stard …

No Jamaican with any credibility claims hip hop … actually go to Jamaica and ask around … the dumb shyt people say on here …

As for soul food…how is the Caribbean any different then … no one black was there before slavery?

All black Caribbean food is slavery African based period …

Also what clothes and traditions do black Caribbeans have that don’t come from Africa ???

Ignorant / inflammatory post

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
America, matter a fact the world is based off black culture. I do see people in the post taking about “Tethers” some of your favorite artists, entertainers are one got from another site

Hravy D (Born in Jamaica)
Biggie (Jamaican parents)
Busta Rhymes (Jamaican parents)
Q-Tip (Father from Anguilla)
50 Cent (Mom was Jamaican, obviously no one knows about his dad)
Jay-Z (Jamaican father)
Dame Dash (Parents from Barbados)
Shyne (Born in Belize)
Fetty Wap (Half Jamaican/Haitian)
Future (Haitian)
The Fugees (Wyclef and Pras are Haitian)
Slick Rick (Jamaican)
KRS-One (Jamaican)
Guru (Father from Trinidad)
A$AP Rocky (Father from Barbados)
Diddy (Heard his mom is Jamaican, not sure how true that is)

LL Cool J (Parents from Barbados)
Rakim (Jamaican father)
Eric B. (Jamaican)
Dana Dane (Jamaican)
Foxy Brown (Trini)
Nicki Minaj (Trini)
Lil Kim (Half Jamaican/Trini)
Phife (Trini)
Spliff Star (Jamaican)
Tony Yayo (Haitian)
Fabolous (Guyanese father/Puerto Rican mom)
Doug E Fresh (Barbados)
Kid from Kid N Play (Jamaican father)
The light skin n1gga from Kris Kross is Jamaican I believe
DJ Kool Herc (Founder of hip-hop) is Jamaican
Will.i.am (Jamaican)
Olivia (Jamaican)
Alicia Keys (Father from Jamaica)
Joey Bada$s (Jamaican)
Hodgy Beats (Jamaican father)
Taco and Syd tha Kyd (Jamaican)
Ashanti (Parents from Barbados)
Uncle Luke from 2 Live Crew (Half Bahamian/Jamaican)
Afrika Bambataa (Jamaican)
Not gonna lie, half of these examples are rumors or just straight up false:mjlol:

Last edited:

HimmyHendrix

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
The End
America, matter a fact the world is based off black culture. I do see people in the post taking about “Tethers” some of your favorite artists, entertainers are one got from another site

Jay-Z (Jamaican father)
Shyne (Born in Belize)
Future (Haitian)
Slick Rick (Jamaican)
KRS-One (Jamaican)

Rakim (Jamaican father)
Eric B. (Jamaican)
Dana Dane (Jamaican)
Foxy Brown (Trini)
Nicki Minaj (Trini)
Phife (Trini)
Spliff Star (Jamaican)
Tony Yayo (Haitian)
Doug E Fresh (Barbados)
Will.i.am (Jamaican)
Olivia (Jamaican)
Joey Bada$s (Jamaican)
there’s a thread on twitter where like half the names in this post are calling out this lie.
alicia keys, future, LL, 50 all called this shyt out to be lies

same with Beyoncé and Steph Curry being Haitian :laff:

it’s the desperation fr :laff:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
He's saying the same thing the "Burna Boy" said but in different words. And he's right. Black Americans got no cultural identity. Slavery did that :francis:

WSVV6j.gif

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
What’s the difference?

Repost:

Louisiana Vodoun vs Haitian Vodou

What does a "real name" even mean? And the majority of Africans practice Christianity and Islam. Which was enforced on them in their OWN lands. And if we wanna be real AAs in the deep South have their own religion i.e Louisiana Voodoo and Hoodoo. Its just not practiced as much.

:mjlol: Brought by Haitians

hoodoo isn't hatian:rudy:

So you gonna purposely ignore voodoo? And ignore the fact that the origins of hoodoo and voodoo are from the same region in africa?

Lmfao

^^some old chatter on the subject

as I previously posted....

NS: France basically abandoned the colony after 1731, right?

GMH:
Well, “abandoned” in the sense that most of the French colonists left, and very few came, so that there was a majority of Africans in all of the French settlements in colonial Louisiana, so that French Louisiana was heavily African. And it remained heavily African during the Spanish period, although there were more European-type colonizers who were brought in during the Spanish period, but there was still a slight majority of Africans and their descendants – a slight majority of slaves, in fact. There were also some Native American slaves.

NS: One of the major points I get from reading Africans in Colonial Louisiana was that there was an Afro-Louisianan identity firmly established early on.

GMH:
Yes, it was established through language and culture. And the language, of course, was Louisiana Creole, which arose in the first generation. And that’s normal; Creole languages do that, they are established very early, and then newcomers have to pretty much learn that language, although of course, all languages evolve. But Louisiana Creole had been established for a long time before there was any substantial immigration from Haiti. So that Haitian Kreyol and Louisiana Creole are fairly distinct languages. And you cannot attribute Louisiana Creole to Haitian Kreyol, which is often done.

NS: If an Afro-Louisianan culture was well-established from an early date, that also would necessarily have included music.

GMH:
Yes. Now, unfortunately, at least from what I’ve seen, I’ve seen much less about music than what we would want. Just a few descriptions of dances and instruments and stuff like that in the documents, but not a lot.

NS: There’s a certain amount of lore that suggests that from that point we start to see – though there was already, as you pointed out, a Dahomeyan population in Louisiana. At that point we start to see voodoo appear in New Orleans culture. And I notice that in Louisiana they have “voodoo queens,” something unknown in Haiti…

GMH:
Exactly. It’s distinctive. And Marie Laveau – you know, there’s this tendency to have everybody be Haitian. And they weren’t! Including Marie Laveau. She had no Haitian ancestors. She was Louisiana Creole. Charles Lalond, who was the leader of the 1811 slave revolt on the German Coast – Charles Gayarré passed the misinformation that he was a free man of color from Haiti. He was no such thing. He was a mulatto Creole slave of Louisiana. And I have not found any Haitians involved in any revolt or conspiracy against slavery in Louisiana. And I’ve looked through lots and lots of documents. And you can look yourself in my database. None of them were Haitians.

Gwendolyn Midlo Hall

attachment-image-357d07c8-94ef-428f-9c6f-00c9e489791b.jpg

Louisiana Vodoun

Louisiana Voodoo, also known as New Orleans Voodoo, describes a set of spiritual folkways developed from the traditions of the African diaspora. It is a cultural form of the Afro-American religions developed by West and Central Africans populations of the U.S. state of Louisiana. Voodoo is one of many incarnations of African-based spiritual folkways rooted in West African Dahomeyan Vodun. Its liturgical language is Louisiana Creole French, the language of the Louisiana Creole people.

Voodoo became syncretized with the Catholic and Francophone culture of New Orleans as a result of the African cultural oppression in the region resulting from the Atlantic slave trade. Louisiana Voodoo is often confused with—but is not completely separable from—Haitian Vodou and Deep Southern Hoodoo. It differs from Haitian Vodou in its emphasis upon gris-gris, Voodoo queens, use of Hoodoo paraphernalia, and Li Grand Zombi. It was through Louisiana Voodoo that such terms as gris-gris (a Wolof term)and "Voodoo dolls"' were introduced into the American lexicon

Louisiana Vodoun is markedly different from Haitian Vodou. It is more of an amalgamation of religious and magical practices found in the southern United States. This includes some of the Lwa found in Haitian Vodou, a strong presence of the Catholic Saints, and elements of southern folk magic like gris-gris, wanga and mojo bags. There is not a “regleman” in the same manner as Haitian Vodou and there is more of an emphasis on self-made Vodou Queens like the famous Marie Laveau. Louisiana Vodoun has a strong connection with Spiritualism and shares many magical techniques with Hoodoo (southern folk magic) – but should not be confused with Hoodoo. You will see the use of veves (ornate painted symbols) in Louisiana Vodoun, much as in Haitian Vodou. Louisiana Vodoun’s primary liturgical language is English with a bit of French Creole.

What is the difference between Voodoo, Hoodoo and Santeria?
as you can see, there was already a dahomeyan population + a bigger senegambian population which is part of the reason why New Orleans Vodoun is distinct from Haitian Vodou

african-origins-broad-regions-for-carribean-big-islands-against-other-origins.jpg

vs

eltisusa99_zps95858018.jpg

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

Jay-Z (Jamaican father)
Shyne (Born in Belize)
Future (Haitian)
Slick Rick (Jamaican)
KRS-One (Jamaican)

Rakim (Jamaican father)
Eric B. (Jamaican)
Dana Dane (Jamaican)
Foxy Brown (Trini)
Nicki Minaj (Trini)
Phife (Trini)
Spliff Star (Jamaican)
Tony Yayo (Haitian)
Doug E Fresh (Barbados)
Will.i.am (Jamaican)
Olivia (Jamaican)
Joey Bada$s (Jamaican)

numerous ducktales on that list:mjlol::russ:

Status
Not open for further replies.