Sony Studios uncomfortable with the direction toward GAAS

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
CEOs don’t just step down when all is going great. Don’t care how much traveling they need to do.

It’s clear someone with power didn’t like the direction they were going or JR didn’t see eye to eye with them.

The chart i posted above alone would get anyone the boot. They are 5 games behind what they said was their future while profits are in the shytter.

Console sales alone don’t make money. Only so long you can keep throwing that console sales number out there before investors start asking when/where is the profit coming from? You can see by all of their recent moves they are looking for that answer.

Microsoft got their strategy with Cloud, Gamepass, PC, Mobile.

Nintendo is in a whole different situation as they actually make money off hardware.

Sony is stuck between the fact that traditional console and AAA retail game purchases are their bread and butter, but it’s also the most difficult/risky way to make money on gaming in 2023. Any attempt to reach into those other markets will canibalize what they’ve built their gaming empire around and legitimize their competitors strategies.

Gonna be interesting to see where this all goes. For the first time we got the big 3 all successful and all focused on a very different strategy.:ehh:
:mjlol:

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
I understand why these companies try for that gaas stuff. It's high reward but also high risk. If your game pops then you will be making a shytload of money, but if it doesn't.. then.. there's a graveyard of mmo's, battle royales, gaas games over the last decade.

I'll be surprised if something new doesn't pop in the next 5yrs.

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
CEOs don’t just step down when all is going great. Don’t care how much traveling they need to do.

It’s clear someone with power didn’t like the direction they were going or JR didn’t see eye to eye with them.

The chart i posted above alone would get anyone the boot. They are 5 games behind what they said was their future while profits are in the shytter.

Console sales alone don’t make money. Only so long you can keep throwing that console sales number out there before investors start asking when/where is the profit coming from? You can see by all of their recent moves they are looking for that answer.

Nintendo is in a whole different situation as they actually make money off hardware.

Sony is stuck between the fact that traditional console and AAA retail game purchases are their bread and butter, but it’s also the most difficult/risky way to make money on gaming in 2023. Any attempt to reach into those other markets will canibalize what they’ve built their gaming empire around and legitimize their competitors strategies.

Gonna be interesting to see where this all goes. For the first time we got the big 3 all successful and all focused on a very different strategy.:ehh:
I hate talking about the business of video games, but in the long term Nintendo and Microsoft have better business models going into the future than Sony does. Anyone who can't see that is just lying to themselves. Unless Nintendo just start making shyt products that either don't work or are just complete ass, people will always buy their children Nintendo products so they are good in their lane.

Microsoft I keep hearing people talk about console sales with them like they aren't the largest software company in the world, and the vast majority of games on the second biggest market(PC) run off their software and that the biggest market(mobile) doesn't already have full access to their games off the Cloud(which they are also in the lead in as well by a country ass mile as far as their infrastructure).

Sony's model of selling consoles and exclusives strictly within their ecosystem has to be propped up by other shyt like Call of Duty royalties or... GaaS where they have a constant stream of revenue. Selling exclusive single player games on one platform was never gonna make money like that. At the least they need to start putting their shyt on PC day one because PC gamers are interested in Sony games, but a lot of them aint gonna buy a Playstation just to play those 5 to 6 games when they already dropped $2000 on a PC and have access to a library of thousands of games from across 3 to 4 decades at their disposal. It's a waste of time and money.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

People retire from jobs. Happens all the time. The guy is in his mid 60s. It’s not unprecedented someone of that age decides to call it a career.

He had the PlayStation brand on pace for its best console sales performance of all time in spite of a pandemic that for a time constrained production.

Personally I didn’t agree with some of his policies but he got results. I doubt he was forced out.

radio rahiem

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mount Vernon, NY via Trinidad & Tobago
People retire from jobs. Happens all the time. The guy is in his mid 60s. It’s not unprecedented someone of that age decides to call it a career.

He had the PlayStation brand on pace for its best console sales performance of all time in spite of a pandemic that for a time constrained production.

Personally I didn’t agree with some of his policies but he got results. I doubt he was forced out.
you and the rest of the resident sony stans (tm) know all this is just corporate pr speak for he was forced out.

Why-Fi

gnap
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
gnap
its not clear why hes leaving, its all assumption on this side. being that anybody can make their mouth and twitter fingers say anything (including jim ryan) we might never know

told yall when that whole " fight for the living room" thing was being dragged out that nobody was even in the damn living room, and it was going to take someone the way of the macbook. painfully behind...not in tech but in being present and functional where people actually are. these kids were playing fortnight on ipads breh

watch where this japanese dude takes it. mr i love mobile

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elizabeth, NJ by way of East Orange
its not clear why hes leaving, its all assumption on this side. being that anybody can make their mouth and twitter fingers say anything (including jim ryan) we might never know

told yall when that whole " fight for the living room" thing was being dragged out that nobody was even in the damn living room, and it was going to take someone the way of the macbook. painfully behind...not in tech but in being present and functional where people actually are. these kids were playing fortnight on ipads breh

watch where this japanese dude takes it. mr i love mobile
Which is why I don’t think Jim Ryan retiring is a big deal, nor do I think GAAS is why he’s leaving. His temp replacement is all about mobile. If anything that means they’re looking to double down on GAAS. I sure as hell hope not though.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
you and the rest of the resident sony stans (tm) know all this is just corporate pr speak for he was forced out.
So could he have ever left his job and not had people coming up with conspiracy theories about why? If he didn't die as the CEO somebody must have forced him out.

Why-Fi

gnap
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
gnap
Which is why I don’t think Jim Ryan retiring is a big deal, nor do I think GAAS is why he’s leaving. His temp replacement is all about mobile. If anything that means they’re looking to double down on GAAS. I sure as hell hope not though.
i think they might *try* to double down on it, but the great point made in this thread - that shyt takes time. and some voodoo for guaranteed success. not necessarily for dads with the dadboxes, these kids are going need a new vita or something like it from this guy to have a chance with gaas

MoshpitMazi

Moshpit Gxng/ Anti Fash
Daps
Reppin
Stone Mountain GA
We aint on that silly, mind numbing GAAS shyt
been quite adamant about it actually
See ya, Jim :salute:
We don't worship CEOs neither

I understand why these companies try for that gaas stuff. It's high reward but also high risk. If your game pops then you will be making a shytload of money, but if it doesn't.. then.. there's a graveyard of mmo's, battle royales, gaas games over the last decade.

I'll be surprised if something new doesn't pop in the next 5yrs.
There's nothing wrong with gaas yall jus pretentious.

Fortnite/gotham knights tough as hell. stop sounding old and boring.

And Sony will be fine they just gotta spruce up their ecosystem a bit.