So what's the verdict on Ghostbusters? Did it flop?

Dirty D

Vikes & Raptors 4 Life
Daps
Reppin
The 6
I WANTED to see it....before they casted it as a chick flick. That shyt killed it for me. sorry :manny: but IMO they should have just kept it with 4 dudes like the original.

I might "rent" it when it comes out but I wouldn't waste my money to see it.

How does that kill it though? They're still ghostbusting. It's not like there was some male-specific angle in the originals that you lose with the change.

Maschine_Man

Banned
Supporter
Daps
How does that kill it though? They're still ghostbusting. It's not like there was some male-specific angle in the originals that you lose with the change.
I guess I just can't believe that women are smart enough to be doctors and scientists :manny:

:lolbron:

I kid. But for real, I guess I'm just jaded cuz I grew up on the originals and was totally invested in that. Not to mention when ppl try to feminize things like this just comes off forced. I mean if they would have made it a mixed cast I think that would have been even better.

I'll eventually see it, but I ain't spending any money on it.

TBF I don't really find women comics very funny either.

The_Truth

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
i honestly feel like the ridiculous pre-hate hypnotized people into saying it wasn't a piece of garbage movie, b/c it absolutely was a piece of garbage movie. Subjectivity and all that, but to sit here and see people say that was a "hilarious" movie is just not true.
Thing is, the "hate" was never as big as Sony made it out to be. The studios purposely blew it out of proportion to market it as a progressive

The_Truth

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Nah, the hate was very real. shyt had thousands of 1* reviews on IMDB weeks before release and...I think....its the most negged video in YouTube history :dead:
Well, the "misogyny" wasn't as real, I should say. Because that's the main thing they focused on in the campaigning.

The_Truth

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Movie was average at BEST. It felt like a long SNL skit. Just a typical run-of-the-mill remake trying to bank off the success of the original. I'm actually surprised it made this much money.

They should've just made it a sequel and have it take place in the same universe as the original. The director clearly has no idea what made the original so endearing.

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
'Ghostbusters' Heading for $70M-Plus Loss, Sequel Unlikely

$70 million loss :sadcam:

They should've just made an original comedy that merely ripped off Ghostbusters and banked on the drawing power of the cast. Melissa McCarthy/Paul Feig comedies always do numbers so it's not like it would've been risky. It wouldn't have had near the budget, expectations, or backlash, and if it did $170 mill on a smaller budget that would've been a big success and they'd have a new franchise to milk.

Be a Hollywood executive brehs:snoop:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
'Ghostbusters' Heading for $70M-Plus Loss, Sequel Unlikely

$70 million loss :sadcam:

They should've just made an original comedy that merely ripped off Ghostbusters and banked on the drawing power of the cast. Melissa McCarthy/Paul Feig comedies always do numbers so it's not like it would've been risky. It wouldn't have had near the budget, expectations, or backlash, and if it did $170 mill on a smaller budget that would've been a big success and they'd have a new franchise to milk.

Be a Hollywood executive brehs:snoop:

The streaming and physical media sales and merchandising will probably help it break even or even a slight profit. That part of the equation hasn't been discussed yet. But they should've known better. Kaz ain't gonna be too happy.

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC black coffee tough guys aka the Stoozy Boys
I'm in my 20's and don't give a damn about seem some shytty ass special effects from the 80's :yeshrug:

To be fair, the shytty new cg isn't that great either. But the original films weren't just about trapping ghosts, it was an introduction to a group of New Yorkers who fall into the some spectral shyt. Character development > pastel colored CG.

Lord_nikon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
I'm in my 20's and don't give a damn about seem some shytty ass special effects from the 80's :yeshrug:

Funny you say this, I noticed I can't watch or be interested in a film that was made in 40's 50's 60's and the mid 70's,, the oldest film i have watched was 2001 a space odyssey,,,,
I barely made through logan's run, soylent green and The Omega Man.

Im sure the effects form the 80's to him look like the effects from the 60's and mid 70's to me, the effects in The Omega Man (1971) was like :huhldup: to me

The Fukin Prophecy

RIP Champ
Daps
Looked absolutely terrible from the first trailer which I believe is the most negged YouTube video of all time...