So what's the verdict on Ghostbusters? Did it flop?

doublex

Pro
Daps
Because that's what MOST of the comments on the begged video were about...the "political correctness" of the new movie. Blah blah blah...they hated the gender change.

I think there were ways they could have won the fanbase over even with the gender change.

Ways they didn't care to try because they didn't respect the existing Ghostbusters fans and were more interested in trying to turn Paul Feig fans into Ghostbusters fans. Which is dumb, because you need both to support a tentpole film.

(1) They could have made this a SEQUEL with the new Ghostbusters (or at least one of the new Ghostbusters) playing the daughters of the OGs.

(2) They could have had Aykroyd co-write to tie the style of humor more closely to the original.

(3) They could have included the original actors playing their original roles as mentors to the new ghostbusters.

(4) They could have include Aykroyd, Murray, and Hudson heavily in the marketing.

They lost as soon as they decided that the opinions of the original Ghostbusters fans didn't matter.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
I think there were ways they could have won the fanbase over even with the gender change.

Ways they didn't care to try because they didn't respect the existing Ghostbusters fans and were more interested in trying to turn Paul Feig fans into Ghostbusters fans. Which is dumb, because you need both to support a tentpole film.

(1) They could have made this a SEQUEL with the new Ghostbusters (or at least one of the new Ghostbusters) playing the daughters of the OGs.

(2) They could have had Aykroyd co-write to tie the style of humor more closely to the original.

(3) They could have included the original actors playing their original roles as mentors to the new ghostbusters.

(4) They could have include Aykroyd, Murray, and Hudson heavily in the marketing.

They lost as soon as they decided that the opinions of the original Ghostbusters fans didn't matter.

I think it's strange you keep insisting that the people who liked this movie weren't fans of the original. Like I probably one of the oldest fans of the original on this board. I was watching that movie every day after school when I was 12. I just think you're talking about a particular subset of the originals' fanbase, not everyone.

doublex

Pro
Daps
I think it's strange you keep insisting that the people who liked this movie weren't fans of the original. Like I probably one of the oldest fans of the original on this board. I was watching that movie every day after school when I was 12. I just think you're talking about a particular subset of the originals' fanbase, not everyone.

Most of the people who liked this movie (and went to the theaters to support it) are fans of Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, and Paul Feig. That's why the movie did similar numbers to The Heat and Bridesmaids. The only problem with that is that they more than tripled the production budget of those movies when they made Ghostbusters.

It makes no sense to spend that kind of money on a Paul Feig movie while making minimal effort to win over moviegoers who are not already Paul Feig fans. They needed to get the vast majority of Ghostbusters fans excited about and supportive of this movie, and they failed miserably. There's no excuse for not doing so, especially when the most important step (making it a sequel instead of a remake) is also the easiest.

HHR

Do what you love
Daps

I agree that it should've been a sequel...but they spent most of the movie pandering to fans. The references to the OG were CONSTANT and almost uniformly distracting.

doublex

Pro
Daps
I agree that it should've been a sequel...but they spent most of the movie pandering to fans. The references to the OG were CONSTANT and almost uniformly distracting.

They tried to pander to fans by including cameos for the original actors. In reality, they'd already turned fans off by creating a universe where Venkman, Ray, Egon, and Winston never existed and the new heroines are the "inventors" of ghost-busting.

I don't know why they decided not to make a sequel; maybe they thought it would be more "empowering" if the all female ghostbusters didn't have any male predecessors. But the end result was a surefire way to insult a decades-old fanbase by erasing what's come before instead of building upon it.

Why do you think the most successful reboots are actually disguised sequels instead of straight-up re-makes? Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Jurassic World, etc. Because re-makes anger fanbases.