Small example of why schools should’ve stayed segregated.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
A lot of you will be triggered.

I don’t care.

What does this have to do with school segregation?

Most Black students have Black teachers, and most Black students attend schools more segregated than they were in the 70s and 80s :gucci:
And the outcomes are horrific due to outdated funding schemes, housing segregation still retained from red-lining, magnet and charter schools causing brain drain, and state governments cutting funding + social education services :patrice:

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
What does this have to do with school segregation?

Most Black students have Black teachers, and most Black students attend schools more segregated than they were in the 70s and 80s :gucci:
And the outcomes are horrific due to outdated funding schemes, housing segregation still retained from red-lining, magnet and charter schools causing brain drain, and state governments cutting funding + social education services :patrice:

Read the thread nikka.

You think that hasn’t been asked and answered by now.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I get her frustration...bcuz of state tests she’s forced to teach them at grade level to prepare them for it, but the reality of that situation might be that those students aren’t on grade level so they’ll feel like they’ve failed for not passing the state test even tho they may have made vast improvements from were they were at the beginning of the school year
You're on point with this.
Nah if they lazy they need to hear that shyt. Yea reading levels and test scores matter presently. But there was a time when actually getting an education took precedence. Now they do more preparation for a state wide test
Education is still pretty well-noted - test scores at the majority of schools are not the sole goal - its just portrayed that way in media.
In reality, most midwest and coastal states have adopted a variety of standardized tests, some of which are tiered specifically by subject and others focusing heavily on student progress instead of across the board scores.

Students in many ways are overtested, but it does show just how far behind most of them are, and its due to three clear things:
(1) parental failure before school and in their early years; (2) the lack of summer education programs; (3) understaffing and underresourced schools in largely Black areas.
I've always said integration while it was a good cause it was highly misguided for the time. We literally thought the white man's water was wetter at the time
No. The white man had water, and we did not. That's a far more apt metaphor.
Black schools were so underfunded that they went without even basic supplies, and Black students often didn't even have the resources to get into high school.
Cause we need our people teaching our kids.

People that know how to talk to our kids.

People that know first hand the real struggles they’re facing.

Not looking at them as just a number but humans with real potential if it’s tapped.
You're right, but most Black kids have Black teachers.
And yes, I taught at an all-Black school, my brother teaches at a nearly all-Black school, my mother taught at a mixed school, and my grandparents and uncles all teach at mostly or taught at, mostly Black schools - from the 50s on.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
What were the literacy rates and grades of black children like during segregation?

Anyone have a source?
It was 10% in the 50s, about 3 times as high as the white illiteracy rate, and about 30% of Black men had no more than 4 full years of education.
The conversation is deviating towards hiring more Black teachers

To me, bigger problem is lack of Black-owned educational institutions, which would be more dedicated to the success of Black children
Black-owned or Black-controlled? We don't need more piss-poor charter schools or Black private schools that funnel money for the same results.
KIPP schools are impressive in some ways, but they were require such extremes out of the students and the teachers that they're not scalable.
My moms was a special ed teacher for 30 years. She said so many kids were missclassified as special ed. I never thought about the funding part. But it also begs the question is funds being funneled off somewhere else?
It's not just misclassification, it's largely parental advocacy failure. Kids having trouble concentrating or learning often come from broken families or parental neglect, and don't actually have any significant disabilities. But without an advocate or a specialized teacher, they end up getting shuffled into special-ed.

The schools only have limited resources to help the kids out.
Yes, and people need to start putting this shyt into that proper context.

I always have the thought...if a school was majority black, with funding, and the students are aware of the history...with funding...the teachers are all black and as successful as possible, and the school alum have a history of success too. Would these same students struggle :jbhmm:. You could even go down the rabit hole of how that would've affected the black family unit...jobs...wealth...everything :wow:

It almost sounds like I've described a regular ass white school...which nowadays would be private :beli:
Yeah, what you're describing are many of the Black magnet schools that have succeeded across the country.
But the obvious issue is that many struggling Black students don't actually attend those schools - their parents don't even try to get them in, they just let them get shuffled into the failing neighborhood schools, with overworked teachers and few resources.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Why do you say that?
Only the white man would attack organized labor as somehow the root of a problem created by white supremacy, racial capitalism, brutal segregation and disinvestment from the Black community.

I truly only hear stupid cacs in their 60s and 70s attacking teacher's unions.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This is so true breh..
Do you think student loan forgiveness would be an issue if they taught about loans and contracts in H.S?
Yes. Junior Achievement covers student loans, loans, credit cards, building credit, etc. for a massive chunk of the U.S. student population.
We had half of our Senior Seminar taught about that, and it didn't really change much.
We could have intergrated without assimilating. Like Malcolm mentioned earlier segregation as a legal concept is unconstitutional and wrong.

But most smart ethnic groups know better than to be educated by their oppressors (just because they can and it’s easy)
We never assimilated or even fully integrated.
They think we all lived like the folks on black Wall Street and the streets flowed with milk and honey. It’s sad because the folks that think segregation was so great for us should be in this class getting a tough love lecture , because they’re very ignorant.

The people in this thread wishing for the times before integration are spitting in our ancestors faces thinking they are pro black, they aren’t :ufdup:
There's definitely a lot of "Black Wall Street" talk that is just openly ahistorical, and its been pretty sickening watching it happen.
The wealthiest Black areas in the U.S. in the early 20th century were a lot like they are now - they had a lot of rich Black people in them, and vastly more poor Black people in them. It wasn't a giant Black economics cooperative - it was literally what Atlanta or PG County are now - a collective of wealthy Blacks surrounded by working class Black people.
Every time education comes up I like to remind y'all of this:

Whatsoever schools teach your kids...

YOU NEED TO TEACH YOUR KIDS

You don't like the new math? Teach your kids the old math.

Is the History teacher overlooking things? Easy. Fill in the gaps

School could be better and hopefully schools one day become perfect...

But until then you have all the information on Earth inside the same phone you're reading this on
All of this. This is the key.
Man this is one of the reasons why there are so many Millennial "Adulting" classes out there today. Home economics got tossed to the bushes and a lot of folks don't know how to do basic shyt.:francis:
More than home economics - their parents and grandparents are teaching them, and aren't putting them in summer camps or after school programs.
Malcom Galswell did an episode on his podcast Revisionist History about Brown Vs Board it was called Miss Buchanan’s Period of Adjustment it is a great listen.

The gist of it is with Desegregation we lost of ton of talented black educators
You're a little light on them - the state governments cut the funding for a massive number of Black schools as backlash against integration, and to break burgeoning teacher's unions they fired a huge chunk of Black teachers.

It wasn't "desegregation" that did it - it was whites in power purposely targeting Black education.
They had already been attacking Black education for decades.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Man I know yall hate white people and i get it BUT, you got to be realistic. some of these kids NOBODY wants to teach. Teachers get a shytty wrap on top of that. Imagine having 8 parents show up to parent teacher conferences out of 100. If you ask most brothers who went to school about teaching in former schools they attended they would generally say hell no. It's a war of attrition. Teacher is still a job at the end of the day.
One semester at the school I taught at, we had 5 parents come to parent-teacher conferences; only one of the kids was even doing badly.
Not a single parents whose child was failing came.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Most schools are still segregated though. And studies consistently show that black kids in racially diverse schools objectively perform better. And the reason for that is more about how poverty and school funding works than kids' attitudes or whatever.
This. Even kids that couldn't care less about learning are elevated depending on what school they go to - there are school districts where 99% of kids go off to college - and it has nothing to do with their laziness or attitudes.

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yes. Junior Achievement covers student loans, loans, credit cards, building credit, etc. for a massive chunk of the U.S. student population.
We had half of our Senior Seminar taught about that, and it didn't really change much.

So you are taught about something and still make bad decisions?