Small example of why schools should’ve stayed segregated.

MaxBundles

Veteran
Daps
I disagree. We wouldn't know how far behind we were until we sat beside them learning at the same rate they were. Also, there weren't enough Black teachers initially. I'm going by my personal experience being bussed to an all-White school in the 70's in NJ.​

Things have changed drastically since then.​
:gucci:
Damn nikka, how old are you?

that guy

Superstar
Daps
This hit home for me. My middle school encouraged us to take the high school standardized test (so they could get the money something like 10k per student that passes) I passed my state requirements in middle school so by time I got to high school the counselors could care less what classes I took. By time I got to college I was so behind in math I had to take developmental math because I didn’t take algebra since middle school smh.
I also realized black children are also at an disadvantage in certain public schools because were taught to memorize and study test questions all day to pass a test. Meanwhile, white kids are taught to understand concepts and overall enrichment which is really how you’re suppose to learn especially when you hit college.

The Exchanges

All Star
Daps
You know how many speeches teachers like that gave us.

:russ:

"Motivation."
"I know you can do better."
"Your scores shouldn't be seen as a failure."

Reality is that people don't like the hard way if they can help it and only change and improve out of necessity.

My lil cousin didn't like to read until he realized he needed to understand what the video games were saying.

My sister didn't like counting money growing up until she realized what money can do.

For me, getting free pizza at pizza hut and being #1 on AR test motivated me a lot.

That and my dad used to erase my entire page of homework when I got one thing wrong. :mjlol: that man was ruthless.

Daps
Eh....

This is just my personal experience but I went to schools that were literally 90-99% black. Central, Westport and Paseo in Kansas City, Missouri.

The state threw money at the school district to attract white students. Mind you, I'm white, but was already there because I lived in the hood. The white people they were trying to attract were out in the 'burbs.

Anyway, the schools were terrible. Some (like the old Paseo on 19th and Summit) were literally falling apart. They got renovated and/or new facilities were built solely to lure white kids in.

So it's kind of a catch-22 because if the school is all black then the state most likely ain't gonna give it the resources it needs. The only way they will, is with the promise of white students.

Which is fukked up, but I literally seen this first hand.

Fred.
I went to University academy. My mom went to the old paseo in 70s

• Dap
Reactions: hex

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
AP and gifted classes are segregationist.
**Can be.
Emphasis on test scores dictates who can get into gifted and talented classes - but I went to school in a fairly large city and my gifted classes were majority Black - even in a majority white elementary school.

The other two gifted schools were much more segregated.