SAS & Windhorst go in on ASG & Adam Silver's NBA

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
No commissioner is exempt from criticism.
I think it's hard to balance what is good for the casual fan, with what is good for the owners' bottom line.

It seems like more often, a sports commissioner's job tends to cater to the profitability he can bring to the owners.

If the NBA gets the 75 billion dollar deal they are looking for, either from ESPN or NBC or whomever...you can be sure that Silver's job security will be rock solid, no matter what the talking heads think or say.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
No one watches the club World Cup let’s start there.

Good points about the champions league but the individual leagues themselves, where the most popular teams play, didn’t bend over backwards to pull in American viewers. They didn’t alter the leagues themselves (PL, La Liga, Bundesliga, etc.), or add bullshyt midsession cups… the NBA is a wholly different product than it used to be. So let’s straighten exactly what the topic is. We aren’t talking about FIFA or UEFA. UEFA changes had less to do with attracting foreign fans in America and more to do with being greedy little c*nts trying to take in as much TV money as possible from other Europeans and avid football watchers that were already watching. The individual leagues themselves never changed for American fans. American owners buying clubs and attracting more fans back in America to watch has way more to do with the explosion over here
But Europe never looked at America as this exploding potential market for soccer viewership. I’d say the FIFA videogames more than anything brought in American viewers. But basketball is firmly the second most popular sport worldwide. It only makes sense for the NBA to try to capitalize on that and bring in as much of that audience as possible to steal as many eyes as possible. It’s two completely different business models. I’d imagine the contracts that the NBA has to play its games worldwide dwarf what soccer leagues get to have their games on NBC and Peacock.

OneManGang

Veteran
Daps
But Europe never looked at America as this exploding potential market for soccer viewership. I’d say the FIFA videogames more than anything brought in American viewers. But basketball is firmly the second most popular sport worldwide. It only makes sense for the NBA to try to capitalize on that and bring in as much of that audience as possible to steal as many eyes as possible. It’s two completely different business models. I’d imagine the contracts that the NBA has to play its games worldwide dwarf what soccer leagues get to have their games on NBC and Peacock.
I’m all for globalization of the league, but what I am weary about is the NBA losing sight of which market and fans made it what it is. I was just having a conversation with a buddy of mine, and I don’t think the NBA really knows who they want to cater to anymore. The popcorn social media clips, lack of regular season meaningfulness, the play in which I feel limits the importance of the 82 game season even more…do you like your avid ball fans anymore in America? Because the product to me isn’t seeming like it’s being made for people who love watching good basketball anymore. It’s bandwagonning off the ADD social media profile hype.’

dh86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
International fans watch a bunch of “meaningless” tournament games. It is part of their culture and players try to win those too. The idea of meaningless games is an American concept. And people like you who say that are the exact reason they’re leaning towards the euro model. The championship or bust culture brought this about.

Euro teams play NBA teams in the preseason now and the ‘euro fans’ don’t care. When Jordan went to Europe and played that one game of course that was a big deal, 25 years ago.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
How do you grow your game when the majority of media figures who cover your game actively hate and belittle it? At some point there was a clear financial incentive in making Bron the bad guy who gets attacked every week. But we're well past that stage and nothing has changed. And when he's gone the media will move to destroying Giannis (why only 1 ring? is he overrated?) and Luka (how come he can't get to the finals? Is he a winner?).

NBA/Silver needs to start playing hardball and withhold access to networks that shyt on the product. I'd actively be looking for ways to move on from TNT to be honest, if they want to bullshyt like this.

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I think it's hard to balance what is good for the casual fan, with what is good for the owners' bottom line.

It seems like more often, a sports commissioner's job tends to cater to the profitability he can bring to the owners.

If the NBA gets the 75 billion dollar deal they are looking for, either from ESPN or NBC or whomever...you can be sure that Silver's job security will be rock solid, no matter what the talking heads think or say.

League revenue is higher than ever, team profits/team values are higher than ever, player salaries are higher than ever, the new TV deal is expected to be a record number

From a financial standpoint, Silver has been fantastic for the league. But it does feel like fan morale is lower than it’s been for a minute. Fans seem to have turned on Silver but doesn’t seem like players & owners have.

So something’s gotta give. These next few years will be pivotal for the league

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Is the pro bowl good? Do espn employees spend this same amount of energy shytting on the NFL or has espn made doing that a no fly zone?

It's kind've apples and oranges, breh. Even the NFL doesn't REALLY care about the Pro Bowl at this point. It's situated at the end of the season in the week off in between the conference championships and the Super Bowl just so the NFL doesn't spend the week before their biggest game with no product on air. They automatically swap out players playing the Super Bowl, and routinely let star players back out of playing.

The NBA all-star game is marketed differently, as their asynchronous schedule doesn't really give them a ton of opportunities to say that all of the biggest stars are playing at the same time, let alone against each other. Basically, they get Christmas Day, the Finals, and all-star weekend.

The War Report

NewNewYork
Daps
Reppin
The Empire State
I don’t watch games like that anymore or other sports for that matter. Just fatigued I guess? I stopped watching Football games altogether. Basketball is the only sport I sorta give a fukk about. You’ll catch me watching those 9 min long highlights that The NBA posts on YouTube more so than the whole game.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
I’m all for globalization of the league, but what I am weary about is the NBA losing sight of which market and fans made it what it is. I was just having a conversation with a buddy of mine, and I don’t think the NBA really knows who they want to cater to anymore. The popcorn social media clips, lack of regular season meaningfulness, the play in which I feel limits the importance of the 82 game season even more…do you like your avid ball fans anymore in America? Because the product to me isn’t seeming like it’s being made for people who love watching good basketball anymore. It’s bandwagonning off the ADD social media profile hype.’
I think you’re ignoring that the NBA has the youngest and most diverse fanbase of any major league. Something like 40 to 45 percent of NBA viewership is black and Latino people skew younger. The average baseball fan is like a 50 year old white dude. I think a lot of their moves reflects them trying to match their primary demographic and also trying to do the international dance. I like the old NBA competitiveness and I hate how easy it is to score. And I hate how ESPN markets the game but I get a lot of it.

Lakerman0834

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
League revenue is higher than ever, team profits/team values are higher than ever, player salaries are higher than ever, the new TV deal is expected to be a record number

From a financial standpoint, Silver has been fantastic for the league. But it does feel like fan morale is lower than it’s been for a minute. Fans seem to have turned on Silver but doesn’t seem like players & owners have.

So something’s gotta give. These next few years will be pivotal for the
This was all set up by stern and silver has only made it worse/ruined it. I thought I was just getting old and has other priorities in life but I realized nba is just terrible product at the moment.

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This was all set up by stern and silver has only made it worse/ruined it. I thought I was just getting old and has other priorities in life but I realized nba is just terrible product at the moment.

Stern has been gone for a decade at this point, there’s no way you can give him all the credit for the state the league is in financially

I think the dilemma the league is in is that the players & owners pockets are getting fatter but a growing number of fans are dissatisfied. A common ground has to be reached

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps

Adam Silver could get the refs to enforce the damn rules

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
You’re just going off confirmation bias, you remember the Celtics missing 3’s so therefore that had to be the reason they lost

The Warriors shot 40 more 3s in that series than the Celtics did and had a lower percentage. The Celtics did not lose because of their volume of 3-Pt shots, they lost because of their historically high amount of turnovers, Tatum having one of the most inefficient Finals ever and getting little to no production from their bench
They missed a lot of threes and I remember watching like why are y’all still jacking 3’s. Tatum shyt stopped falling and became irrelevant. It’s bad offense all around and the playoffs just feel like the team that gets hot more games wins.

Boston would have ram plays to get Tatum going and got him to the basket and ft line he would have been more effective.