SAS & Windhorst go in on ASG & Adam Silver's NBA

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Yea in all of sports this idea that you have to get a ring to be considered great is just unrealistic. I think the ring talk should only come up when you’re talking about the GOAT. And that conversation shouldn’t be had as often as it is.

But ultimately the blame is on the players for only caring about themselves and their bag. The blame is on the culture that they are creating with all the load management shyt just to still get eliminated in the first round.

The players are treating this like a job and not like a sport they love. These dudes like KD who abuse free agency and trade clauses because he realizes he isn’t the man or he can’t win makes it hard to be fans of certain teams. Dudes like kyrie who is only focused on basketball as long as he has nothing else better to do are the reasons the regular season don’t matter. I would be pissed if I spent $1,000 dollars on a ticket just to find out one of these nikkas is load managing or is sitting out because of some BS social cause or because he was suspended for posting a documentary.

The stars are too much like divas now and they make it hard to be fans of them.

They’re treating it like a job because it IS a job.

And its human nature to fully leverage whatever power you have to your own convenience. Owners have been doing it for decades and now players are doing it, it was inevitable.

The only player I feel is flagrant has been Kyrie simply because he’s an idiot. When KD’s healthy KD PLAYS. He might be the ONLY superstar it can be argued that literally shows up to hoop for the “love” of the game.

Other than that revenue is UP across the board for the league and the next television deal is going to be massive. The fans aren’t really suffering much and contrary to popular belief, many star players do not WANT to load manage and actively fight against it. Lebron shows up and plays when he can, battling foot, groin, and hand injuries. Giannis plays hurt. Steph TRIED to play hurt. Like I said other than Kyrie most stars at least on a basic level WANT to be on the floor night in and night out.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Remember when Pippen won it in 94? He used that opportunity to tell the world hey look, MJ's gone and I'm the guy now. What I'm saying is that an ASG MVP it was indeed important. Or when AI won it in 2001 it was like an indication of his MVP season. MJ was not letting anyone else win it at MSG either.

Exactly, I don't understand all this talk about "fans only talking about rings". That stuff only comes into discussion when you're comparing GOAT-type players, no one really cares if John Wall or Paul George wins a ring or doesn't. It won't move the needle of how we see those players that much. It only moves the needle when you're comparing guys who both already have MVPs or who already have won multiple titles. That's how I've always seen it. The fact CP0 never won doesn't change the fact he's one of the best point guards ever. The fact that Ewing or Barkley or Miller never won doesn't change the fact they're among the best of all time.

Exactly! It was two guys who got pressured because they were chasing Jordan. And thats Kobe and Lebron. One stayed solid and the other created superteams in multiple destinations. So lets blame Lebron specefically for inspiring players to move a certain way through "player empowerment". Then blame the league for doing nothing to stop it,as I clearly remember fans voicing our displeasure.

A better argument as to why players dont care. Is because through Lebron,they finally realized they will never be able to top Jordan:wow:. Its most players dream to be the goat one day. But seeing that Lebron could win 3 more,and most still aint considering him the goat? I could see that being demoralizing. Why not do what you want to do. If you know you can never do what you hoped to do?

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Drew League games aren’t in the middle of the season :manny:

Also the difference is some players view those offseason pickups and pro ams as an extension of their offseason programs and part of working in their game. The ASG is just a meaningless exhibition in the middle of the season
:dwillhuh:
You really tried it with this post

DonB90

Superstar
Daps
Fam, no one wants an all star game in Detroit or most NBA cities. New York, Miami, LA, San Francisco, Chicago, Houston, Toronto and Phoenix are the only places an all star game should be. Players are not going to show up on a Friday for a three day trip to Detroit and I have love for the D.
Toronto is not more exciting then DC yall need to stop with the Toronto dikk riding on here outside of Caribana nobody pays Toronto any mind for 360 days a year...completely skipped NOLA as well but Madi Gras going on round the same time might not work out to well for NBA :skip:

dh86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Fam, no one wants an all star game in Detroit or most NBA cities. New York, Miami, LA, San Francisco, Chicago, Houston, Toronto and Phoenix are the only places an all star game should be. Players are not going to show up on a Friday for a three day trip to Detroit and I have love for the D.

The next two cities are Indianapolis and Milwaukee.

dh86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
The international fanbase will definitely care, and that’s where he is looking to expand. You guys would be awful at running a business.

Only if you think foreign fans are too dumb to know the games mean nothing.

dh86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
A dumb ass argument is focusing on players having longer careers. A slew of guys in their 30s, lebron included, should have already wrapped it up by now. Maybe every all star career doesn’t have to push 20 years?

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Why are you calling him CP0 if him winning a ring doesn’t matter :mjpls:

Once a hater, always a hater :mjpls::lolbron:

To be fair I've been hating on him with all the flopping he was doing especially as a Clipper, but that doesn't stop me from saying he's one of the best PGs ever. Whether he eventually wins a title or doesn't won't really tip the scales for me. It won't elevate him above other PG like Steph, Magic, Isiah Thomas etc...and I already have him above a whole lot of other all-time great PGs

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
Only if you think foreign fans are too dumb to know the games mean nothing.
International fans watch a bunch of “meaningless” tournament games. It is part of their culture and players try to win those too. The idea of meaningless games is an American concept. And people like you who say that are the exact reason they’re leaning towards the euro model. The championship or bust culture brought this about.

Last edited:

Left.A1

Superstar
Daps
1. Most important thing was stop issuing the suspensions for players. You don't even hear or see Goodell now except for opening night, 1st rd of NFL draft and handing the Lombardi trophy
WTF ..This was a dumb ass policy that HE initiated in 2007 … he is the one that made it his personal duty to beef up suspensions the “player conduct policy” is a essential trademark of goodells tenure and you’re lying saying he doesn’t control this policy anymore …we just saw how badly he continues to handle this with the DeShaun Watson case …the difference is in the latest CBA the PLAYERS not goodell negotiated for a provision to his power that allowed outside arbitration on certain aspects over violations what are you even saying lol

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-suspensions-roger-goodell-deshaun-watson/zgepwypyo7fxqomqggegznvz#:~:text=NFL%20personal%20conduct%20policy%20suspensions%20under%20Roger%20Goodell&text=Included%20are%20all%20suspensions%20of,the%20length%20of%20Watson's%20suspension.
2. Settled 2 labor disputes preventing a lockout
He didn’t in 2011 when the owners locked out the players for 5 months who was the commissioner when the NBA last had a lockout?

3. Made the game safer (I hate the over protection of QBs tho)
There’s rule changes every year in every sport and he was the main one denying that playing football caused brain damage when the retired players sued the nfl lmao stop it …he literally went up to congress lying about the shyt and has had to be ridiculed to oblivion to institute any changes

4. Negotiated the deals with Amazon and Youtube TV for streaming
Negotiating TV deals is a standard duty of every commissioner …this was nothing new
That's just off the top of my head. Things ain't perfect. But he learned from trying to do too much when he first came commissioner. Honestly the owners loved that he was going crazy hard on the players at first cuz Tagliabu wasn't doing that.

Goodell can't make the owners hire black coaches. I wish he would stop trying to place a team in London but he's way better than when he first came in.

Silver was gifted the NBA and he has a severe issue with the product on the court. But he aint doing nothing about it. He so focused on the league doing well over seas in Europe and Africa but he ain't addressing the issues here domestically.

The fans are starting to get pissed at the product. But yet he says there's no issue with load management.

The marketing is bad. Saturday night primetime games should have been played. Idk what the league will look like once Lebron and Curry retire. THere should be more of an emphasis on selling teams instead of individual players cuz these new up and coming players don't look like they can carry the league
The NBA is securely the second biggest sport in the NBA the same position it was before he was hired and they’re about to negotiate the biggest TV deal of all time…the nba has never sold teams always the individuals starting with David Stern and Magic v Bird ..it’s why the sport is as popular as it is today unlike the dying sport of baseball and the nhl …this “marketing issue” shyt sounds ridiculous when the NFL marketed itself to KKKlansmen when they colluded to ban Kaepernick out of the sport …you sound silly nikka

OneManGang

Veteran
Daps
You don't have to like it but Stern laid the blueprint and his disciple Silver is building off it.

They want the NBA to be truly global and will try to follow the euro football path to get there
European football didn’t change ANYTHING about itself to become big. They hate change. I don’t understand the comparison.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
European football didn’t change ANYTHING about itself to become big. They hate change. I don’t understand the comparison.
Huh? FIFA has been promoting all sorts different events like the Club World Cup. And UEFA literally had expanded the champion’s league from a straight up knock out round of champions to a tournament including a round robin round and allowing up to three non-champions from strong leagues to participate. All of this occurred in the 90s after it had been the same since the 60s. They literally expanded their tournament so more countries would be interested and more people depending on their rooting interest. This is just false.

OneManGang

Veteran
Daps
Huh? FIFA has been promoting all sorts different events like the Club World Cup. And UEFA literally had expanded the champion’s league from a straight up knock out round of champions to a tournament including a round robin round and allowing up to three non-champions from strong leagues to participate. All of this occurred in the 90s after it had been the same since the 60s. They literally expanded their tournament so more countries would be interested and more people depending on their rooting interest. This is just false.
No one watches the club World Cup let’s start there.

Good points about the champions league but the individual leagues themselves, where the most popular teams play, didn’t bend over backwards to pull in American viewers. They didn’t alter the leagues themselves (PL, La Liga, Bundesliga, etc.), or add bullshyt midsession cups… the NBA is a wholly different product than it used to be. So let’s straighten exactly what the topic is. We aren’t talking about FIFA or UEFA. UEFA changes had less to do with attracting foreign fans in America and more to do with being greedy little c*nts trying to take in as much TV money as possible from other Europeans and avid football watchers that were already watching. The individual leagues themselves never changed for American fans. American owners buying clubs and attracting more fans back in America to watch has way more to do with the explosion over here

br82186

Superstar
Daps
You don't have to like it but Stern laid the blueprint and his disciple Silver is building off it.

They want the NBA to be truly global and will try to follow the euro football path to get there
And that's the thing, Goodell is trying to do the same thing as well, but failing miserably at it with only doing overseas games.

For the NBA and the international market, it was game over after the 92 Olympics and the Dream Team.