SAS & Windhorst go in on ASG & Adam Silver's NBA

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
They’re treating it like a job because it IS a job.

And its human nature to fully leverage whatever power you have to your own convenience. Owners have been doing it for decades and now players are doing it, it was inevitable.

The only player I feel is flagrant has been Kyrie simply because he’s an idiot. When KD’s healthy KD PLAYS. He might be the ONLY superstar it can be argued that literally shows up to hoop for the “love” of the game.

Other than that revenue is UP across the board for the league and the next television deal is going to be massive. The fans aren’t really suffering much and contrary to popular belief, many star players do not WANT to load manage and actively fight against it. Lebron shows up and plays when he can, battling foot, groin, and hand injuries. Giannis plays hurt. Steph TRIED to play hurt. Like I said other than Kyrie most stars at least on a basic level WANT to be on the floor night in and night out.
It’s not a real job at all. Neither is anything in entertainment.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Drew League games aren’t in the middle of the season :manny:

Also the difference is some players view those offseason pickups and pro ams as an extension of their offseason programs and part of working in their game. The ASG is just a meaningless exhibition in the middle of the season
Why even play then? And why get mad and take it personal when you don’t get that all star selection when it’s ultimately meaningless? Those two things contradict each other. These players will legit be catty, sassy, and bitter for not getting an all star selection, but then turn around and be like “it’s just an exhibition game, what do you expect?”. :dead:

They should shut down all star weekend completely, if these players are so shook by “ring culture”. This ain’t the fans fault. Folks act like playing hard for ONE game, is gonna hurt your chances of getting a ring or making a deep playoff run. Y’all can’t scapegoat the fans and ring talk, for players showing zero effort at the all star game. Maybe I’m ignorant, but who was the last title contending team to have their star player get hurt during ASG? Played are getting paid more money than ever in league history. Role players are gettin that bag. What do these players even want anymore? The fans haven’t changed what they expect to see out of the league. It’s the players who seem to be confused. :dead:

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How do you grow your game when the majority of media figures who cover your game actively hate and belittle it? At some point there was a clear financial incentive in making Bron the bad guy who gets attacked every week. But we're well past that stage and nothing has changed. And when he's gone the media will move to destroying Giannis (why only 1 ring? is he overrated?) and Luka (how come he can't get to the finals? Is he a winner?).

NBA/Silver needs to start playing hardball and withhold access to networks that shyt on the product. I'd actively be looking for ways to move on from TNT to be honest, if they want to bullshyt like this.
Imagine going to a restaurant and the hostess telling you how trash the food is, how the restaurant used to be better in the 90s, and when asking the waiter if the short ribs are good, they tell you "I don't even know what that is, didn't know it was on the menu :unimpressed: "

Why the fukk would people eat there? Shaq talks about not knowing guys a lot, it's clear they don't watch games. There will be threads with people asking for more analysis and cats respond with the :damn: like we're asking for Israel/Palestine discussions.

Last edited:

dh86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Drew League games aren’t in the middle of the season :manny:

Also the difference is some players view those offseason pickups and pro ams as an extension of their offseason programs and part of working in their game. The ASG is just a meaningless exhibition in the middle of the season

What lol the players are warmed up and active during the season, not to mention the risks of not playing on NBA regulated courts (Chet Holmgren). NBA has a summer league every team participates in for guys to get off-season reps in. The league should force their players out of all those offseason leagues and competitions

dh86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
They’re treating it like a job because it IS a job.

And its human nature to fully leverage whatever power you have to your own convenience. Owners have been doing it for decades and now players are doing it, it was inevitable.

The only player I feel is flagrant has been Kyrie simply because he’s an idiot. When KD’s healthy KD PLAYS. He might be the ONLY superstar it can be argued that literally shows up to hoop for the “love” of the game.

Other than that revenue is UP across the board for the league and the next television deal is going to be massive. The fans aren’t really suffering much and contrary to popular belief, many star players do not WANT to load manage and actively fight against it. Lebron shows up and plays when he can, battling foot, groin, and hand injuries. Giannis plays hurt. Steph TRIED to play hurt. Like I said other than Kyrie most stars at least on a basic level WANT to be on the floor night in and night out.

TNT is going to pass on the NBA and exponential growth isn’t guaranteed unless Jeff Bezos and Tim Cook get involved in talks and I guarantee you they won’t be as hands off as Disney and Turner are in player availability.

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
And that's the thing, Goodell is trying to do the same thing as well, but failing miserably at it with only doing overseas games.

For the NBA and the international market, it was game over after the 92 Olympics and the Dream Team.

Nobody gives a fukk about the NFL globally. Just like nobody globally gives two shyts about MLS :mjlol:

Nba still has a chance. Look how 3 of the top players in the league are euro. Look how the NBA players struggled I. The Olympics with their bullshyt whining and crying for fouls. They got China on board already. It's coming

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Why even play then? And why get mad and take it personal when you don’t get that all star selection when it’s ultimately meaningless? Those two things contradict each other. These players will legit be catty, sassy, and bitter for not getting an all star selection, but then turn around and be like “it’s just an exhibition game, what do you expect?”. :dead:

They should shut down all star weekend completely, if these players are so shook by “ring culture”. This ain’t the fans fault. Folks act like playing hard for ONE game, is gonna hurt your chances of getting a ring or making a deep playoff run. Y’all can’t scapegoat the fans and ring talk, for players showing zero effort at the all star game. Maybe I’m ignorant, but who was the last title contending team to have their star player get hurt during ASG? Played are getting paid more money than ever in league history. Role players are gettin that bag. What do these players even want anymore? The fans haven’t changed what they expect to see out of the league. It’s the players who seem to be confused. :dead:

Players care about the achievement of being named an all-star, not the actual game itself. No different from NFL players relation to the Pro Bowl.

I’m pretty confident that a lot of guys would choose to just be named an all-star and not have to play in the game if they could.

If these dudes don’t care they don’t care, you can’t make them give a fukk no matter how hard you complain. Best advice would be to not watch because 1993 ain’t ever coming back.

What lol the players are warmed up and active during the season, not to mention the risks of not playing on NBA regulated courts (Chet Holmgren). NBA has a summer league every team participates in for guys to get off-season reps in. The league should force their players out of all those offseason leagues and competitions

A sprained ankle in July > A sprained ankle in February

And if it were up to the owners the players wouldn’t participate in pro-ams, offseason pickup runs or FIBA tournaments. When’s the last time you saw a player on a max deal running in the Vegas summer league? They care about protecting their “assets” more than anyone else

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Players care about the achievement of being named an all-star, not the actual game itself. No different from NFL players relation to the Pro Bowl.

I’m pretty confident that a lot of guys would choose to just be named an all-star and not have to play in the game if they could.

If these dudes don’t care they don’t care, you can’t make them give a fukk no matter how hard you complain. Best advice would be to not watch because 1993 ain’t ever coming back.

A sprained ankle in July > A sprained ankle in February

And if it were up to the owners the players wouldn’t participate in pro-ams, offseason pickup runs or FIBA tournaments. When’s the last time you saw a player on a max deal running in the Vegas summer league? They care about protecting their “assets” more than anyone else
I didn’t watch because I knew what was coming. I wasn’t expecting it to be this bad. I wasn’t expecting those comments from Shai Alexander. It’s corny. But more ppl will stop watching. And I guess this is what the players want. God bless ‘em. :yeshrug:

RhodyRum

Mark Gassed-A-Heaux
Daps
Reppin
The Great Green North
I didn’t watch because I knew what was coming. I wasn’t expecting it to be this bad. I wasn’t expecting those comments from Shai Alexander. It’s corny. But more ppl will stop watching. And I guess this is what the players want. God bless ‘em. :yeshrug:

An even bigger problem may be the fundamental one of the players (for whatever reason) not understanding how the fans play just as big a part as the players and front offices in the business cycle of pro sports.

That's a huge issue because all that'll lead to is the eventual "humbling due to thinking you're too big for your britches" moment.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
An even bigger problem may be the fundamental one of the players (for whatever reason) not understanding how the fans play just as big a part as the players and front offices in the business cycle of pro sports.

That's a huge issue because all that'll lead to is the eventual "humbling due to thinking you're too big for your britches" moment.
Players act like they completely fed up with fans. I get it, some fans can suck, but they’re the bread and butter if the league. Players live in their own bubble. It’s like they’re insulated from the viewership numbers.

RhodyRum

Mark Gassed-A-Heaux
Daps
Reppin
The Great Green North
Players act like they completely fed up with fans. I get it, some fans can suck, but they’re the bread and butter if the league. Players live in their own bubble. It’s like they’re insulated from the viewership numbers.

They gotta understand that part of cashing in on your God-given elite athleticism is the population's desire to watch you display that God-given elite athleticism. It's as simple a lesson in economics as one can get.

The biggest thing that the anti-capitalism crowd ALWAYS disregards in their arguments is while the consumer gets downplayed as this woe-is-me doormat for the corporate sector, the final say is and will always lie with where consumers spend their money. Money is power on  every head of this societal hydra.

NBA in general needs to wake up and completely understand they're part of the service industry and act accordingly before they receive that lesson in the consumer's power in real time.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
They gotta understand that part of cashing in on your God-given elite athleticism is the population's desire to watch you display that God-given elite athleticism. It's as simple a lesson in economics as one can get.

The biggest thing that the anti-capitalism crowd ALWAYS disregards in their arguments is while the consumer gets downplayed as this woe-is-me doormat for the corporate sector, the final say is and will always lie with where consumers spend their money.

NBA in general needs to wake up and indeed they're part of the service industry and act accordingly before they receive that lesson in real time.
But what gets me is, players have been empowered. We’ve accepted the player movement era. We’ve accepted and cheered on players getting paid what they’re worth. We accepted, applauded, and cheered on players voicing their own opinions on race, life, etc free from of the puppetry of the franchise they play for. Folks cheered on the Kyries, and other outspoken players. And yet…still, they shyt on the fans and act like they just can’t be bothered and refuse to put on a show. What’s their beef? :dead:

RhodyRum

Mark Gassed-A-Heaux
Daps
Reppin
The Great Green North
But what gets me is, players have been empowered. We’ve accepted the player movement era. We’ve accepted and cheered on players getting paid what they’re worth. We accepted, applauded, and cheered on players voicing their own opinions on race, life, etc free from of the puppetry of the franchise they play for. Folks cheered on the Kyries, and other outspoken players. And yet…still, they shyt on the fans and act like they just can’t be bothered and refuse to put on a show. What’s their beef? :dead:

The law of nature my brotha. We all talk about holding hands across the world and all that "my brother's keeper" bull jive but at the end of the day it's all about self-preservation for each and every last one of us.

"You were on my side to help me secure this treasure? You're happy for me that I'm now receiving 'generational wealth?' Thanks breh. Now you can watch me spend it as a token of my appreciation."

It's why I laugh at fans who pick sides during these millionaires vs billlionaires labor disputes. Both sides (with the help of the networks and the sponsors who buy up ad time) just wanna fleece you for as much as they can bleed from you. I can't blame them, that's the point of a business. The problem is if you wanna fleece me, cool, but the product you're fleecing me for ain't worth it.

The blame lies with the fans who won't respond with the same amount of apathy and ruthlessness because they see themselves as just the eyes who are addicted to pro sports instead of understanding the power that they wield within pro sports.

Last edited:

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Offer up straight cash.. In ANY league.. These leagues are cheap as fukk considering how much they make.

NFL made 17 billion last year, MLB, NBA made 9. Even hockey made 4.

Every league could afford to offer the winning team, $1 million each, cash, and not even blink. Loser gets NOTHING. Now tell me who wouldn't be playing hard? Offer up that shyt for the contests... Would a few stars want to join up then? I bet they would.

These players ain't from the 80s. They are aware that the name of the game is money and you are the money, so don't risk money unless it's for more money.