Rob Liefeld and the horrible comic era of the 90s :russ:

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
my sentiments exactly. watered down art.

the marvel movie is what hurt comic book art, too.
plus computers, when it comes to penciling.

I was around some art students in a starbucks a while back.
they could not believe I was self taught and I was drawing stuff that killed their shyt.
I went to comic school, in high school.
yet, it was about knowing how to story tell panel to panel.
plus how to write, ink, letter, and produce/manufacture.
a guy going to classically trained art school.
really is not really cut out for comics.
when, it comes to the style approach of how comics are penciled.

art barr

Fury616

www.illdust.com
Daps
Reppin
( o Y o )
death of superman
knightfall

were the two worst all time stories in the history of the big two, EVER.
close followed by age of apocalypse and the later scott lobdell, to who ever makes xmen, now run.
people crap on liefeld over the time of his career.
yet, he was young as fukk, and actually made new mutants enjoyable when he first appeared and later took over.
now, granted I did not like new mutants being canceled.
yet, for the time, the first few issues of xforce were okay.
the problem where liefeld got initially exposed.
was the spiderman issue when he drew the xmen.
that is when the complete uproar began and started the negative backlash.
which over time was warranted.
yet, originally youngbloods was interesting and his character models were okay.
it is he just never tried to grab a bridgeman's and started to become a grade A @sshole in person at con.
which also, lead to his wOAT label.

he was the first guy.
that critiqued artist's pages and smashed on them for no reason.
while he had pages that had the same errors he was overly critical of.
that also, hurt liefeld and his draw, hugely.

as he shunned the very guys who were young trying to get on like he did.
with the same types of errors as he had.

art barr

yea Death of Superman and Knightfall were bad. THey were money grabs and going off the collector bullshyt hype. But regardless of the bullshyt they were groundbreaking for the time.

Liefeld got too caught up in his own rockstar image hype. Dude was taking pics wit Eazy-E, doing GAP commercials and shyt, crashing whips and coppin' new ones.
So he was all on his rockstar bullshyt not giving a fukk. That and his art being punchlines across the board didn't help.

Fury616

www.illdust.com
Daps
Reppin
( o Y o )
26792.jpg

x-men-1.jpg

Jim fukking Lee.. muthafukkas...

tumblr_mjxp0nfOVU1r7glfto1_400.gif

I miss those jim lee designs from back in the day, that's my childhood all over again...

I have jim lee's autograph on:
xmen 248
xmen 267
*read my daughter danger girl #5, for her bedtime story.
she loves danger girl...!!

Met the legend Jim Lee in person at 2012 SDCC...dude is cool as hell. Didn't have to take a pic wit me but did anyway.
He short as hell too...about 5'5. He that dude though :salute:

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous
lol , i just seen this nikka rob yesterday, wantd to link him to the coli...

jim lee cool, but to front on the 'college acredited pencilers" then talk abotu shading, then big up jim lee.... jim lee uses the same god damn shadow shape and lighting regardless of where the light actually is OR he puts the light in the same exact place every fukking time.. his inker a beast tho. but :manny: he isnt ass like liefeld so i dont really give a fukk.

80's comics have the best writing, 090's have best diversity as far as art styles, 00's had technically on point beasts.

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
jeesus lord this thread right here. :snoop:

buying those #1 die cut chromium cover death of gatefold polybagged books hoping we'd pay for college one day

Harbinger #1 was worth 500 dollars, dudes were scrambling to pay 380 for some books that may have had Dr. Mirage in the background of a panel but they're in the 50 cent bin now.....

Shadowhawk was black and it was a BIG DEAL.

this is honestly one of the things I can look back on and wonder what the fukk was we thinking.:snoop:

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Thread takes me back...you guys ruined some shyt for me tho....

Them pouches....LMFAO

Here's how I look at it...

60's-70s best characters...
80s best story lines...
90s best art...

After 96 or so, I stopped reading comics...I may have missed one of the best story lines in the onslaught and age of apocalypse stories...but most of that shyt was garbage...

I remember wanting to follow a brand new character from origin, and grow up with that character...I picked that wackass Thor replacement Thunderstrike...I can admit it now, but got Damn his comic was wack as shyt...I can't even remember his villains...I want to say he gave out parking tickets or some cornball shyt for the issues I had...

Jim Lee had to be the best artist from this era...

I had Wildcats issue one autographed by him in an unopened package...my big head fukking nephew ripped it apart...I could have splattered his brain all over my room back in the day. My pain eased over time because image was fukking wack as far as stories went.

Fury616

www.illdust.com
Daps
Reppin
( o Y o )
the marvel movie is what hurt comic book art, too.
plus computers, when it comes to penciling.

I was around some art students in a starbucks a while back.
they could not believe I was self taught and I was drawing stuff that killed their shyt.
I went to comic school, in high school.
yet, it was about knowing how to story tell panel to panel.
plus how to write, ink, letter, and produce/manufacture.
a guy going to classically trained art school.
really is not really cut out for comics.
when, it comes to the style approach of how comics are penciled.

art barr

I'm in art school right now but mostly self-taught drawing comics growing up. Its good for the basics (perspective/line weight/shadow tone/etc) but thats it.
These fukking instructors don't know shyt about style and/or how to grade it. You turn something in for a good grade it has to be some cookie cutter bullshyt.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
lol , i just seen this nikka rob yesterday, wantd to link him to the coli...

jim lee cool, but to front on the 'college acredited pencilers" then talk abotu shading, then big up jim lee.... jim lee uses the same god damn shadow shape and lighting regardless of where the light actually is OR he puts the light in the same exact place every fukking time..

just cut it out, breh...

jim lee is the best penciler in comic history.
scott Williams is the best inker in comic history.

also,..if you don't draw as well as jim lee.
especially in a comic book style...there is no way to even critique the man.
especially when his hatching and shading style is the GOAT, period.

I can draw as well as jim lee, and I draw as well as jim lee, because I understand the mechanics of line weight, hatching and shading.
that obviously, you don't comprehend from a drawing comic book pencils perspective.

the new artist in the 2000's all draw like we were doing life drawing and that is not what a great comic is about.

as a matter of fact,...if not for computers.
those dudes would have never translated in the real penciler's era.

all that shading and shyt dudes do in the 2000's.
is completely aided by computers and being able to digitize their work with effects.
it is not actually compatiable to old school board Bristol and the reproduction in real ink.
which is also, why the shyt is corny and no one really buys comics like that anymore.
art school pencils is huff in comics.

that shyt is cool for a different perspective every now and then.
yet, in a comic reproduction context.
it is huff as hell.
especially in comparison to fukk'n jim lee's goat shading and hatching technical perspective based art work.

no dude in comic history is ever seeing jim fukk'n lee, period.

so, kill that noise on the shading critique.

especially if you never fukk'n penciled pages to complete a monthly title, in ya life, professionally.

art barr

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous
just cut it out, breh...

jim lee is the best penciler in comic history.
scott Williams is the best inker in comic history.

also,..if you don't draw as well as jim lee.
especially in a comic book style...there is no way to even critique the man.
especially when his hatching and shading style is the GOAT, period.

I can draw as well as jim lee, and I draw as well as jim lee, because I understand the mechanics of line weight, hatching and shading.
that obviously, you don't comprehend from a drawing comic book pencils perspective.

the new artist in the 2000's all draw like we were doing life drawing and that is not what a great comic is about.

as a matter of fact,...if not for computers.
those dudes would have never translated in the real penciler's era.

all that shading and shyt dudes do in the 2000's.
is completely aided by computers and being able to digitize their work with effects.
it is not actually compatiable to old school board Bristol and the reproduction in real ink.
which is also, why the shyt is corny and no one really buys comics like that anymore.
art school pencils is huff in comics.

that shyt is cool for a different perspective every now and then.
yet, in a comic reproduction context.
it is huff as hell.
especially in comparison to fukk'n jim lee's goat shading and hatching technical perspective based art work.

no dude in comic history is ever seeing jim fukk'n lee, period.

so, kill that noise on the shading critique.

especially if you never fukk'n penciled pages to complete a monthly title, in ya life, professionally.

art barr
my mans art bar, i always appreciate your perspective on things, but ya dont know me OR who i know in said comic book industry right now. most pencilers still use bristol to this day, most inkers use real ink to this day, so your computer talk is pure conjecture. a nikka doesnt have to pencil comics monthly to know art. jim lee is not the best penciler in history, but you can feel that way ALL day. jim would tell you himself he's not the best, and he's a cocky mofo :russ: jim is legendary, and at a time when i understood less about comics and art in general was one of my favorites, so i'll never say some shyt like him being trash, but him being the best ever is laughable. his storytelling alone isnt fukking with mad people. but i'm not gonna go back and forth with you. good day to you G.

I'm in art school right now but mostly self-taught drawing comics growing up. Its good for the basics (perspective/line weight/shadow tone/etc) but thats it.
These fukking instructors don't know shyt about style and/or how to grade it. You turn something in for a good grade it has to be some cookie cutter bullshyt.
depends on where you go, and who your instructors are.. BUT art school in general is bs. :manny:

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO

that is the reason I did no go to a classically trained art school.
when I could have easily garnered and per my mom's account.
turned down a mysterious full ride to numerous art schools.

as I hate, art school cause they only teach you to copy, everything.
while never developing what you really like to really draw.
art is about being proficient at what you like to create.
not going to systematically copy and piggy back off of the past.
now, granted I like jim lee.
yet, if I pick up a paint brush.
I don't want some punk ass teacher who doesn't draw or paint as well as me.
telling me to go copy van gogh or Picasso.
I hate that copy everybody's work bullshyt.

art barr

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
my mans art bar, i always appreciate your perspective on things, but ya dont know me OR who i know in said comic book industry right now. most pencilers still use bristol to this day, most inkers use real ink to this day, so your computer talk is pure conjecture. a nikka doesnt have to pencil comics monthly to know art. jim lee is not the best penciler in history, but you can feel that way ALL day. jim would tell you himself he's not the best, and he's a cocky mofo :russ: jim is legendary, and at a time when i understood less about comics and art in general was one of my favorites, so i'll never say some shyt like him being trash, but him being the best ever is laughable. his storytelling alone isnt fukking with mad people. but i'm not gonna go back and forth with you. good day to you G.

depends on where you go, and who your instructors are.. BUT art school in general is bs. :manny:

who is better than jim lee, and real talk.
you keep talking but you don't pencil as good as jim fukk'n lee, at all.

I can pencil as well as jim lee, and I even posted the shyt here for people to see from the medium of just photos of my shyt.

I am not into people who are not actualized in skill critiquing other people's work.
as you are not actualized in skill level to say shyt to someone.
which is what rob liefeld did and how he actually garnered his WOAT tag.
it came from giving critiques to budding pencilers and being grossly in error in critique and actual actualized skill.

I am a legend in this critic shyt because I only really talk about shyt I really can fukk'n do for real.
plus, actually have a real highly expert skilled back ground and pedigree on.

I was taught in comic school for real.
I earned my way there, from being a gallery 37 year one student.
to being given a wildcard placement in the comic program at marwen.
which is a long waiting list that goes back years.

in said program, I was not that great of a penciler at all.
yet, I was taken under the wing by said creators of comix and I worked to ramp up, in a very rapid fashion.
which came from my inquiry on how to get better, and following what to do, by said professionals.

so, I know this shyt, and real talk....
I don't have to cite who I know, because I fukk'n can actually show with real fukk'n skill.
what I can actually do.

if someone is a better penciler than jim lee.
than, why are they not from there fukk'n art, the head of dc.
while also, ruling the very gen, and making better penciled submissions alltime in the comix.
which occurred, from a logical admin based choice.
that extended from real fan fare perspective.
if they are the best,...why are they not given the next nod as the best.
after someone like cockrum.

spare me that critique on lee's shading....the shyt is complete bullshyt.
[especially when he already worked to dispel the shading bullshyt with his own ink and brush on deathblow. to squelch the lee is no mignola with black talk. he did the oh, he can not do the manga type style well, and dominated.
when, real talk,....
if lee did do any other book.
it would shyt on anybody else's submission in their fukk'n style.
or he would dominate if he used his clean style as well.]

spare me on him not being the goat as that shyt is complete bullshyt.
spare me that , oh...he is only as good as scott Williams ink...
that shyt is bullshyt and over his career he has dispelled all those naysayer bullshyt spins to hate for no reason.
if you wanna pencil or be better than jim lee.
be able to outdo him in his style and your own.
jim lee has outdone the entire history of comix.
socalled best styles and to this day...no one does his style better than him, period.
so kill that bullshyt noise, breh.

never in ya fukk'n life try to critique no fukk'n jim lee.
while i'm around,......
I won't stand for that shyt, at all, period..

art barr

Last edited:

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous
who is better than jim lee, and real talk.
you keep talking but you don't pencil as good as jim fukk'n lee, at all.

I can pencil as well as jim lee, and I even posted the shyt here for people to see from the medium of just photos of my shyt.

I am not into people who are not actualized in skill critiquing other people's work.
as you are not actualized in skill level to say shyt to someone.
which is what rob liefeld did and how he actually garnered his WOAT tag.
it came from giving critiques to budding pencilers and being grossly in error in critique and actual actualized skill.

I am a legend in this critic shyt because I only really talk about shyt I really can fukk'n do for real.
plus, actually have a real highly expert skilled back ground and pedigree on.

I was taught in comic school for real.
I earned my way there, from being a gallery 37 year one student.
to being given a wildcard placement in the comic program at marwen.
which is a long waiting list that goes back years.

in said program, I was not that great of a penciler at all.
yet, I was taken under the wing by said creators of comix and I worked to ramp up, in a very rapid fashion.
which came from my inquiry on how to get better, and following what to do, by said professionals.

so, I know this shyt, and real talk....
I don't have to cite who I know, because I fukk'n can actually show with real fukk'n skill.
what I can actually do.

if someone is a better penciler than jim lee.
than, why are they not from there fukk'n art, the head of dc.
while also, ruling the very gen, and making better penciled submissions alltime in the comix.
which occurred, from a logical admin based choice.
that extended from real fan fare perspective.
if they are the best,...why are they not given the next nod as the best.
after someone like cockrum.

spare me that critique on lee's shading....the shyt is complete bullshyt.
[especially when he already worked to dispel the shading bullshyt with his own ink and brush on deathblow. to squelch the lee is no mignola with black talk. he did the oh, he can not do the manga type style well, and dominated.
when, real talk,....
if lee did do any other book.
it would shyt on anybody else's submission in their fukk'n style.
or he would dominate if he used his clean style as well.]

spare me on him not being the goat as that shyt is complete bullshyt.
spare me that , oh...he is only as good as scott Williams ink...
that shyt is bullshyt and over his career he has dispelled all those naysayer bullshyt spins to hate for no reason.
if you wanna pencil or be better than jim lee.
be able to outdo him in his style and your own.
jim lee has outdone the entire history of comix.
socalled best styles and to this day...no one does his style better than him, period.
so kill that bullshyt noise, breh.

never in ya fukk'n life try to critique no fukk'n jim lee.
while i'm around,......
I won't stand for that shyt, at all, period..

art barr
:russ: i didnt name drop, nor did i toot my own horn saying how 'great i am' yet u aint penciling shyt, i have have a job making pencils move on paper. :manny: anyway your right, i dont know shyt, and you pencil as well as jim lee. i'm gonna go back to drawing while you type up mad paragraphs. cuz i literally dont have time for this. :salute:

is tis yoou penciling as well as jim lee breh?
1348920423_zps77998971.jpg