Rob Liefeld and the horrible comic era of the 90s :russ:

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Leifield was terrible breh...what was that shyt Wildcats or something shyt looked like a bad pastel slayer concert man fukk that art style.

But the 90's still gave us some piff. Jim Lee the GAWD, Alex Ross and DC dropped Kingdom Come in 96, and the Death of Superman was prolly one of the biggest art/cultural events of my young life allong with Logan getting the metal ripped out of him and Bane breaking Batmans back. :blessed:

But seriously the 90's IS Jim Lee. Think about it some of marvels most iconic and recognizable designs are Jim Lee's work. The base for all the sprites in the Marvel v. Capcom fighters ect....dude's Cyclops and Storm are literally the first thing i think of when i think of X-men

Shade

King of Wakanda.
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Priest's Black Panther run was the best thing to come out of the 90s imo.

UserNameless

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere...You never there.
116498-149530-todd-mcfarlane_super.jpg

McFarlane... :wow:

Funny I would come across this thread after reading this Cracked article: 5 Ridiculous Things That Show Up in the Art of Every Comic | Cracked.com

135059.jpg

An ankle pouch though?:dwillhuh: :dahell:

:laff:

My relative owned a comic book business which sold comics in the early 90's. I was conventions every weekend as a kid.

Rob liefield was joke then too. I hated that guys artwork. It always seemed so corny. However, the early 90's was when Jim Lee did the Uncanny X-men. Then when the X-men team split, Jim had had control of "X-men". To me, Jim Lee's X-men was the X-men. When he left, I couldn't really read the comics anymore.Granted, I grew out of comic books by the time I was 10 years old.

90's comic book art was really good. I remember looking back on 80's and 70's era comics as a kid in the 90's, and I thought the art work was plain primitive.

Frank's Miller's Wolverine was good though.

Excellent points... aside from Liefeld of course.

I fux with Jim Lee. He's an artist for sure. But it was just too clean. Characters and penciling during that era were just... outrageous. That's what defined that era... And Jim comes in with all this anatomically correct, generic shyt... FOH, nicca! This ain't no museum ... no curator ... no wall hangings here.

Liefeld created 100 mini me's... his style was replicated and even improved upon later... But that XForce and Cable shyt was ... :whew:

Comics haven't had a run like that since have they??? I can't even tell you where a comic store is.... In the 90s, comic stores were popping up everywhere!

Shyt is ... :wow:

Great work. The detail... the inking... the lines... beautiful. And you do realize cable was huge in stature, right?

But fukked with the Savage Sword of Conan heavy... The graphic novel style, with the larger sized book and the penciling, shading and inking of the GOATS John Buscema and Alfredo Alcala was just :wow:

Pretty much all of the Conans were ridic... Might actually try to find some old Savage Swords...

Camile.Bidan

Banned
Daps
Excellent points... aside from Liefeld of course.

I fux with Jim Lee. He's an artist for sure. But it was just too clean. Characters and penciling during that era were just... outrageous. That's what defined that era... And Jim comes in with all this anatomically correct, generic shyt... FOH, nicca! This ain't no museum ... no curator ... no wall hangings here.

Liefeld created 100 mini me's... his style was replicated and even improved upon later... But that XForce and Cable shyt was ... :whew:

Comics haven't had a run like that since have they??? I can't even tell you where a comic store is.... In the 90s, comic stores were popping up everywhere!

People were buying comics like they were investments back then. I remember there were 6 pack comic book packages that you could be at Walmart back then. I remember Going to the store and begging my mom to buy either an X-men comic, EGM or Gamefan (remember than Magazine?).

My favorite comics back then were: Grendel (Shocked I read that as a kid looking back on it), Sin City, Give Me Liberty, Akira, Lobo, Death's Head, Ghost Rider (remember the Glow in the Dark issue?), Cerebus. I read like X-men from issue 1 to issue 9 (whenever Jim Lee left) and then I stopped reading it. Dark Horse had all those Cool Star wars comic books (was it Called Shadow of the Empire?) , and my one of my all time favorites ----Aliens vs. Predator.

As far as Jim Lee is concerned, I remember he teamed up with a different Inker for some comic name Deathblow. I remember I was really impressed by the artwork.

UserNameless

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere...You never there.
People were buying comics like they were investments back then. I remember there were 6 pack comic book packages that you could be at Walmart back then. I remember Going to the store and begging my mom to buy either an X-men comic, EGM or Gamefan (remember than Magazine?).

My favorite comics back then were: Grendel (Shocked I read that as a kid looking back on it), Sin City, Give Me Liberty, Akira, Lobo, Death's Head, Ghost Rider (remember the Glow in the Dark issue?), Cerebus. I read like X-men from issue 1 to issue 9 (whenever Jim Lee left) and then I stopped reading it. Dark Horse had all those Cool Star wars comic books (was it Called Shadow of the Empire?) , and my one of my all time favorites ----Aliens vs. Predator.

As far as Jim Lee is concerned, I remember he teamed up with a different Inker for some comic name Deathblow. I remember I was really impressed by the artwork.

So true about the underlined. Think that's why the bubble burst... kinda like baseball cards, but the devaluation and flight from the hobby wasn't as rapid.

Sin City had excellent storytelling.

Cerebus... :wow: ... I remember that was critically acclaimed at the time. It was tough to find those issues where I was located at the time.

Speaking of mags, I used to cop Wizard faithfully. Is Wizard still in business?

Easy-E

I đź’—My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
:guilty: Why ya'll hatin' on Knightfall?

Bane breaking Batman's back got me into comic books, when I went thru my Dad's stuff, in the 90s

I bought all of the issues a couple of years ago and :to: @ the Shondra Kinsolving part