Recently got fired at work. Any advice?

Daps
What makes you think this brother is militant?

i think i have mostly interacted with him on gender war topics so idk but i'm going off the OP post where he decided to pipe up about race relations.... and i know the coli.com is generally like 50% talk about race issues, so i'm making an educated guess.

but my point is, if you gonna bring it up, you don't just get fired and plan a vacation if you bout it bout it. aint no such thing as half way militant..... unless you are online i guess lol.

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Sorry to hear breh @Ohene

I didn’t read through the thread but did you agree to severance package? I would always tell your company you’re going to talk to an employment lawyer, they will probably double your severance off top because they don’t want the smoke. Especially if the reason for firing was not really concrete
went that route but it didnt lead to anything
considered paying a lawyer to get me more money but it woulda just been some he say she say shyt and i already know they capable of lying so i didnt bother risking the lawyer fees

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
i think i have mostly interacted with him on gender war topics so idk but i'm going off the OP post where he decided to pipe up about race relations.... and i know the coli.com is generally like 50% talk about race issues, so i'm making an educated guess.

but my point is, if you gonna bring it up, you don't just get fired and plan a vacation if you bout it bout it. aint no such thing as half way militant..... unless you are online i guess lol.
@AVXL :guilty:

SupaVillain

Keep your glory, gold and glitter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
I don't want to get into any kind of sob story/type out anything thats too long to read.

But anyways, about a month ago I was fired at what was once a dream job. I currently live in Canada and was working in a niche industry within finance and it looks like the job market is pretty bleak out here at the moment. I have a CPA but havent been an accountant for 5+ years so I aint even really getting consideration for those kinds of jobs. I feel kind of lost and alone right now. Of course my friends and family all have sympathy but the truth of the matter is that none of them really can help me in anyway.

I figure its a lot of people on this forum who have been laid off or fired before and had to pick up the pieces. Any advice or stories to share?
sidenote, you got a CPA? I've been procrastinating on getting mine lmao you have any tips to study

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
sidenote, you got a CPA? I've been procrastinating on getting mine lmao you have any tips to study
canadian cpa a bit different than american. that being said you just gotta lock in and study lol. i worked for a big 4 company and they also gave us a 2 month study leave + study plan for the final exam

darius19

R.I.P. Kobe and Nip, that’s off the rip
Daps
Reppin
NULL
went that route but it didnt lead to anything
considered paying a lawyer to get me more money but it woulda just been some he say she say shyt and i already know they capable of lying so i didnt bother risking the lawyer fees

gotcha breh. Well you can get EI since you’re fired without cause

In terms of future jobs, you can just say you quit ( they won’t know you got fired if it’s fired without cause, legally the company can’t say shyt about you other than your start and end date of employment). So yeah just make up a story that sounds good about why you quit when you interview for future jobs

Other than that do the shyt like take some time off etc

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
yup

I asked the head of my team once he mentioned HR if I was being put on a PIP. He said whats that? I said a performance improvement plan, and mentioned how a friend went through that once and how the mention of HR made it seem that I was being put on one.

He said, no we dont want to do that because it would be the easy thing to do but if your performance doesnt improve then you could be put on one.

Then when I was trying to negotiate severance, HR basically told me that they put me on a performance plan and set me up with mentors to help so they did what they were meant to. Iunno, maybe I shoulda sued them or hired counsel off the strength but its too late now.

Get in touch with an employment attorney
DO NOT SIGN anything related to severance or leaving yet

"set me up with mentors"...elaborate
"so they did what they were meant to"...what exactly do you mean?

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i already signed the severance document though + how could i prove the dude said that

just following up...Never SIGN without consultation of people you know who can advise you or get an attorney

2 heads are better than 1