Recently got fired at work. Any advice?

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sorry to hear breh @Ohene

I didn’t read through the thread but did you agree to severance package? I would always tell your company you’re going to talk to an employment lawyer, they will probably double your severance off top because they don’t want the smoke. Especially if the reason for firing was not really concrete

Big FACTS....initial scare tactic

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
gotcha breh. Well you can get EI since you’re fired without cause

In terms of future jobs, you can just say you quit ( they won’t know you got fired if it’s fired without cause, legally the company can’t say shyt about you other than your start and end date of employment). So yeah just make up a story that sounds good about why you quit when you interview for future jobs

Other than that do the shyt like take some time off etc
are you sure about the bold?
just following up...Never SIGN without consultation of people you know who can advise you or get an attorney

2 heads are better than 1
agree. i consulted a lawyer before signing

darius19

R.I.P. Kobe and Nip, that’s off the rip
Daps
Reppin
NULL
are you sure about the bold?

agree. i consulted a lawyer before signing
Yep. My company was going through major layoffs at the beginning of the Covid pandemic so I prepped all this shyt just in case

They are absolutely not allowed to tell anyone you were fired WITHOUT cause. If it was for a specific reason ie for cause, that’s different.

As far as anyone knows when you apply, you just quit your job :manny:

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Lol how much money do you make? I'm giving advice from someone making 6 figures further along in their career. If you scraping by making 70K and no savings of course you wouldn't understand. Then indeed you should immediately look for employment.
My business alone makes $300,000 a year. This is about the threadstarter :comeon:

Telling someone to take a vacation for a month immediately after they've been laid off is fuccking stupidity. :comeon:

DJSmooth

Superstar
Daps
My business alone makes $300,000 a year. This is about the threadstarter :comeon:

Telling someone to take a vacation for a month immediately after they've been laid off is fuccking stupidity. :comeon:

Yea taking a month off to get your mind back right is stupid. You acting like OP didn't make this thread because he feels down bad right now, fukk are you even talking about?? And you yapping about money like he wouldn't make that back the next signing bonus he gets.

Silkk

Daps
Yea taking a month off to get your mind back right is stupid. You acting like OP didn't make this thread because he feels down bad right now, fukk are you even talking about?? And you yapping about money like he wouldn't make that back the next signing bonus he gets.
You clearly don't live in reality breh

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
:dwillhuh:

nikka you can do whatever tf you want for a minute then :dahell:
After tax its more like 70K but I hear you. I know objectively that I am in a much better position and that I just need to be patient but its tough to know/see where the next opportunity is going to come from - especially during a time where unemployment is rising.

I am hanging in there but certain times it hits

Silkk

Daps
After tax its more like 70K but I hear you. I know objectively that I am in a much better position and that I just need to be patient but its tough to know/see where the next opportunity is going to come from - especially during a time where unemployment is rising.

I am hanging in there but certain times it hits
This is what I was trying to explain to @DJSmooth Its not like how it used to be. The market is TOUGH as hell.

And gahdamn at how hard they taxing that shyt :smh:

But yeah in that case, I'd definitely say get to applying. Definitely don't want to be waiting until Oct-Dec when companies stop hiring annually on top of how tough shyt just already is.

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
My heart goes out to you man. I got laid off in 2013 from a cushy City County Building job. “Budget cuts.” One of the bright spots in later years after I got laid off was seeing the guy who gave me my severance paperwork get voted out of office in 2016. It was glorious. :blessed: Keep your head up. :salute:

Volt

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Rio
Hate to hear it :francis:

Honestly, the first thing to do is to take a deep breath. Process whatever information you must, and learn from the experience.

Then, update your resumé. That should give you a clear picture of what you're good at and how you can leverage your way into a new job.

Job hunt efficiently. It's time to use the networking you've done over the years. Look up the market and where the opportunities are. Then optimize your resumé for it and pull up. :demonic: