Rappers/Albums That Put Up Big Numbers But Lacked The Cultural Impact To Match

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
:wtf: how so? Other than it blowing him up

The Blueprint did a better job of popularizing that sped up soul shyt that characterized a lot of 00s production, and had shyt like takeover on it
how so? this album made Jay-Z a superstar, and it's clear the impact he's had on rap, pop culture,and entertainment since. This shyt had people take notice of roc-a-fella, people started wearing roc-a-wear, this album, along with DMX being hot, created one of the hottest hip hop tours. If that damn "Hard Knock Life" song didn't blow like it did, Jay could easily be just another dope consistent rapper, but not a mogul.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
How could I admit I'm wrong? No one has posted a single name to prove me wrong.

I don't claim to run anything. I thought we were on here to discuss hip hop? I gave you about five examples. You can't do the same apparently. I have no choice but to conclude that you are conceding the truth of my point.

This guy wants to know too.

how could you admit youre wrong? are you serious right now?

LETS LOOK AT EXHIBIT A:

The better question is when did the streets start embracing lowest common denominator music? In other words, when did the streets and quality divorce?

for starters, this is WAY off-topic and i have no clue why you even posted this.

but i tried to entertain your question anyway since you are good for a hip-hop discussion. so i asked you to be more specific.

this then led to you naming a bunch of names that were never hot and/or never taken seriously.

and from there, we end up with you asking me to name rappers for you, because you didnt know what you came in here yappin about.

:mindblown: i figured that maybe you were drunk but this is a whole 24 hours later.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
:wtf: how so? Other than it blowing him up

The Blueprint did a better job of popularizing that sped up soul shyt that characterized a lot of 00s production, and had shyt like takeover on it

- for one, it was alot more popular than blueprint(which i wouldnt even call his 2nd most impactful album).

- it was a thriller type album full of big hits and big-time bangers. the electricity & feeling in the air in '98-99 is un-matched by anything else jay did, and its not even close.

- along with DMX, they officially changed the landscape of hip-hop by late '98/early '99. well i guess you can say that.

- co-headlined the hard knock life tour with DMX, which was MONUMENTAL because it was the 1st 100% str8 up hip-hop arena tour to get off the ground since the "raising hell" tour in '86/87. and then after that, hip-hop FINALLY started having major arena tours again.(@saysumthinfunnymike where you at?)

- takeover cant hold a candle to half the songs on volume 2.

- all jay really did culturally with the blueprint was put his name over the resurgance of soul-sampling, which was already taken off again anyway.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Wacky D is the epitome of an ignoramus when it comes to anything concerning Outkast

im not even the first person that brought them up. and i was far from being the last person to mention them.

so why you on mine?

that good ole "lets make the OP seem crazy since we cant dispute him" tactic eh?

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I never said the Up in Smoke Tour was the only successful hip-hop tour that sold out arenas, it was one of the first especially for street music and no disrespect to Cash Money/Ruff Ryders but they only had a couple west coast dates. Up in Smoke Tour hit every corner of the U.S. and made an impact.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
I never said the Up in Smoke Tour was the only successful hip-hop tour that sold out arenas, it was one of the first especially for street music and no disrespect to Cash Money/Ruff Ryders but they only had a couple west coast dates. Up in Smoke Tour hit every corner of the U.S. and made an impact.

It wasn't just big numbers and critical acclaim. The Up in Smoke Tour was a big deal. It was pretty successful and showed that if you can get the right mix of talent together a hip-hop tour can sellout arenas just as a rock band or singer can. Plus, it was relatively low on violence, just everyone out there having a great time.. Trying to minimize the impact of that run is stupid. It's partially the reason why hip-hop artists can do big dates in big cities. And yeah, like it or not Eminem was part of that too.
:snoop:

:comeon:

thats not what you said.

and youre still wrong either way.

and now youre yappin about rr/cmr tour dates, knowing dam well you never saw their schedule. you didnt even acknowledge that tour's existence yesterday.

and no, the "up in smoke" tour didnt make an impact everywhere. the burbs were the main ones showing up to those concerts.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
@Wacky D

It's partially the reason why hip-hop artists can do big dates in big cities

:beli:

Wacky D said:
know dam well you never saw their schedule

Of course I saw the schedule, MTV News covered the tour back when MTV still talked music, they had a show on it and I read about it also. I'm not trying to tell anyone I was at the RR/CM tour but I obviously knew it existed

Last edited:

Black_Jesus

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
from the home of coca-cola, i'm not referring to s
im not even the first person that brought them up. and i was far from being the last person to mention them.

so why you on mine?

that good ole "lets make the OP seem crazy since we cant dispute him" tactic eh?
in this thread all I see is breh that said one album...SB/LB (which is false btw).. and you following him by saying, Outkast as a whole... you've already been disputed and sonned to oblivion in other threads on this issue... But I see you're trying to save yourself now with the "oh I wasn't the only one who mentioned them" tactic when you pretty much are the only person

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps

and again youre still wrong. it was just another tour after "hard knock life" brought the tours back.

and more importantly, it didnt even attract that type of crowd.:laugh: that chit was a non-factor.

one of the main reasons why there was an arena tour drought for all those years was because of arenas thinking that filling up the building with hoods was risky, with the "raising hell" tour incident in mind.

"up in smoke" didnt attract hoods like that. hell, the nellyville tour attracted more hoods across-the-board than "up in smoke". lets keep things in perspective here......i mean after all, thats what this thread was made for.

i'll give dre props tho. they almost brought it back with '93 death row. but they cancelled the tour after a few dates cuz of money issues or whatnot.

Darts

Spittin' em
Daps
Speakerbox/the love below

:what: tha fukk???

For better or worse this album had a crazy impact on pop culture to this day, from pop artists taking risks musically to wacky fashion trends. 3000 made it "cool" to sound/dress different when "Hey Ya" blew up. shyt, Kanye's whole steez was influenced by this album.

Hell you might even say that the whole urban "hipster" movement can be directly traced back to this album (like I said for better or worse lol).

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
in this thread all I see is breh that said one album...SB/LB (which is false btw).. and you following him by saying, Outkast as a whole... you've already been disputed and sonned to oblivion in other threads on this issue... But I see you're trying to save yourself now with the "oh I wasn't the only one who mentioned them" tactic when you pretty much are the only person

i see more than one "breh" speaking on it. and yet, you didnt respond to any of them. not even the "one breh" that you acknowledged.

instead, you come in here bothering me about it when im not even thinking about them dudes. we frying bigger fish right now.

it looks like you just want my attention. i'll up the outkast thread for you in the spot.

go play.