Rappers/Albums That Put Up Big Numbers But Lacked The Cultural Impact To Match

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Chingy's first album did 3 million
you took mine, and that was followed by a second album that went plat....yet there is only one name from STL we all remember

Also gonna add Ludacris, dude sold ~10m albums between his first four albums yet I don't feel like he ever had that momentum that Wayne, TI, Ross, or Jeezy had as "the nikka from the south" during their respective runs.

Last edited:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Chingy's first album did 3 million

yea but off the strength of 3 huge jams.

put him in the nelly room......but lets just hope that nelly doesnt beat his ass while theyre in there.

:manny:

Last edited:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Chronic 2001 definitely didn't make the impact that the original Chronic did, but it's being severely downplayed here. That album basically birthed Kanye's style. "But, but, he could've bit any drum pattern", he did (he admittedly bit Jermaine Dupri's drums), but he bit the "Xxplosive" drums for "This Can't Be Life" and the rest is history. Not to mention, 2001 was the album that had the most impact on the West Coast post Pac. True, the momentum started with Snoop's Top Dogg, but we saw the careers of Eminem and Xzibit grow exponentially after 2001. That album had non-single joints that were just as big as the singles ( "Xxplosive", "What's The Difference").
Agree that Chronic 2001 is being downplayed, I know being from Cali, that album was everywhere, at every function, people knew all the words to every song, it was huge. But even looking nationally, that was a big "comeback" for Dre, Em had been elevated, Snoop was back after flailing without Dre, this was the last time Cube really mattered, shyt was big. Nothing is touching the original Chronic since that basically set off the west coast sound/identity from 92-96, but in the spirit of this thread, 2001 doesn't belong on this list.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Agree that Chronic 2001 is being downplayed, I know being from Cali, that album was everywhere, at every function, people knew all the words to every song, it was huge. But even looking nationally, that was a big "comeback" for Dre, Em had been elevated, Snoop was back after flailing without Dre, this was the last time Cube really mattered, shyt was big. Nothing is touching the original Chronic since that basically set off the west coast sound/identity from 92-96, but in the spirit of this thread, 2001 doesn't belong on this list.

nah you mustve missed it.

as a regional album, we gave 2001 its props but thats where it stops.

Ronnie Lott

#49erGang
Daps
too many things are getting lost in translation now.

there needs to be a thread for this. dont be shy folks. lets hurt some feelings in here too.

im gonna start it off with dr dre 2001. big numbers, critical acclaim from the mags, but culturally, it wasnt a top-tier run.

:why:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
All that needs to be said.

:comeon:

you do realize that the media throws hip-hop under the bus every chance they get, right?

initially, they even tried to blame hip-hop for those racist white kids that shot up columbine.

hip-hop gets thrown under the bus everyday b. 9 times out of 10, its not an issue.

1) There's more people than just the ones you know. That's why it's speculation.

2) Then why are you speaking for him

3) no thanks

4) that's obvious

5) Either way , him saying it holds more validity than your personal observation

6) LOL at his opinion. It's Kanye's own career, so that makes his statement far more valid than yours in regard to it. At this point, I'm done responding because you're beyond logical discussion if you think you being "out here" holds more weight than what he said about his career. Especially since "This Can't Be Life" (the song in which he stated he used the bitten Dre drums) led to him getting work on Blueprint which is when he really blew up.

1.) observation >>> speculation

2.) i wasnt. i said "i think" and i also said for you to ask him. i dont know who posted it.

3.) just let it out man.:hug:

4.) thats right.:hug:

5.) youre naive.

6.) i think he means that dre's drums got him over the hump. cuz kanye clearly blew off of soul sampling.

7.) you conveniently skipped over part 7. THE BEST PART. i asked you how dre 2001 sparked a west coast resurgance, and you went on mute.

Last edited:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
i'll name names after you admit that you were wrong and just talking out of your ass.

you not running chit over here jim. and you definitely aint using me as a pawn.

after that, we can name names thru the next 5 pages.
How could I admit I'm wrong? No one has posted a single name to prove me wrong.

I don't claim to run anything. I thought we were on here to discuss hip hop? I gave you about five examples. You can't do the same apparently. I have no choice but to conclude that you are conceding the truth of my point.

:rudy:

So what quality artists are big in the streets?

This guy wants to know too.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
I am a Hov stan but... :yeshrug:

Vol2+Hard+Knock+Life+hkl.jpg

:wtf::what::facepalm:
:whoa:

thats his MOST culturally-impactful album.

good grief.

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
:wtf::what::facepalm:
:whoa:

thats his MOST culturally-impactful album.

good grief.

:wtf: how so? Other than it blowing him up

The Blueprint did a better job of popularizing that sped up soul shyt that characterized a lot of 00s production, and had shyt like takeover on it

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
The only reason this terrible thread is doing numbers is because Wacky D has the majority of the posts and I blessed him with a few of my own. :why:

Anyway, I figured by the time we got to about page 4 pretty much every album ever made would be listed so here we are. Typical coli :heh: