Rapper Eve Reveals Jay-Z Called When Her Debut Album Dropped & Told Her Not to Get Her Hopes Up Because Female Rappers "Don't Really Do That Well

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker

Eve had to fight her way through, persuading her label that, yes, actually, a song with Stefani would be a good idea. “I always got a lot of pushback,” she says, rolling her eyes. On the day her debut album dropped, Jay-Z rang to congratulate her but also warned her not to get her hopes up because female rappers “don’t really do that well”. She sold two million copies. One exec later told her she should give up and get pregnant. Others were openly rude in meetings. “The audacity that these men had.” She wouldn’t tolerate that today. “Now I have age and experience on my side, nobody’s coming at me like that.”

sure he did,,,,did he call the da brat...mia x...

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It was sound advice. And how can you say he was wrong. Look at Eve's music career. Her first album went double platinum. The second one went platinum, which is less. This was with a Dr. Dre produced single featuring Gwen Stefani. Her third album bricked so hard Foxy clowned her ("how you catch a brick with a Alicia Keys"). Then she was about to drop a fourth album and had a hit single in "Tambourine". That album got shelved.

In terms of female rappers, the ceiling was three albums. And out of the three one was probably going to brick. Missy, Kim, MC Lyte, and Nicki Minaj are the only female rappers I can think of that had three or more successful albums. How was Jay Z wrong or hating in this scenario?

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Her first album went platinum, second album moved 165,000 units first week

:unimpressed:

Whole thread downplaying Eve like she didn't do it back to back.

3rd album did 600,000 units in the US.

Jay a hater. Plain and simple.

She was hot for like three years though. We like to toss around "oh Jay had to have big features to stay relevant". By that same logic, Eve had a single featuring Gwen Stefani produced by Dre. That album sold less than the previous album. The third album had a single featuring Alicia Keys, who was one of the biggest names in music at that point. Album bricked. 1999-2002.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Eve is a weirdo and lies a lot.

I'm saying this from personal experience. She's trying to sell a book. So I expected her to start saying all kinds of wild sh*t to get people to care. She's a bum.

I could see Jay telling her this though. And I'm sure people are going to leave out the part, where she may have taken his comments as inspiration. She went on to have her own TV show, was in movies, and had a fashion line. So it's not like she was depending on a music career to keep her afloat.

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
I could see Jay telling her this though. And I'm sure people are going to leave out the part, where she may have taken his comments as inspiration. She went on to have her own TV show, was in movies, and had a fashion line. So it's not like she was depending on a music career to keep her afloat.

Jay was trying to help her a lot back then.

That's why I don’t know about this one. And she knows Jay isn't going to respond to any questioning about this, so I don’t know if he said it the way she's making it sound. Dude was adamant about her coming to be on the Backstage soundtrack. She was touring, and he was basically like, "The track isn't moving forward unless we get Eve on it". Dude used to be campaigning to find her things to hop on (Pause). So I think she's using his name to get interest on this corny book.

No lie, I'm waiting on some sh*t to be said about ME and the homies in this book. HAHA!! I don’t trust that MF, at all.

Braman

Superstar
Daps
Not to hate, but her career kinda proved his point, no? Might have been out of the loop, but didn't hear much about her after her debut.

This is the comedy of it. Ok she sold albums but not a chance in hell she wasn’t gettin jerked on her deal. She wasn’t going to, and didn’t, make a living off rap. He basically told her have a fallback plan. Where is she now? Married to a billionaire. Fallback plan

Budda

Superstar
Daps
It was sound advice. And how can you say he was wrong. Look at Eve's music career. Her first album went double platinum. The second one went platinum, which is less. This was with a Dr. Dre produced single featuring Gwen Stefani. Her third album bricked so hard Foxy clowned her ("how you catch a brick with a Alicia Keys"). Then she was about to drop a fourth album and had a hit single in "Tambourine". That album got shelved.

In terms of female rappers, the ceiling was three albums. And out of the three one was probably going to brick. Missy, Kim, MC Lyte, and Nicki Minaj are the only female rappers I can think of that had three or more successful albums. How was Jay Z wrong or hating in this scenario?

Her second album generated more money for her than her first album despite selling less. It had hits that’s people outside Hip Hop community know about and provided platform for her to get into Film and shows.

It’s categorically wrong what Jay said, at least in regards to Eve, her second album went platinum and had her biggest hits, her third album still sold more than Gold.

Third album had a number 2 single, sold 133,000 copies in first week, sold more than 600,00 copies domestically that’s a success.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
He wasn't.
Yes, he was. You nikkas are just haters lmao. Eve was literally the third woman rapper to EVER go platinum. You guys are speaking with the gift of hindsight to justify hating on son. Like it’s a constant on here to try to spin anything son says into him being satan. Its corny. Eve was literally the only platinum “First Lady of the label” of her entire generation.

I don’t see how that’s hate @FreshAIG fam . (1) that’s her paraphrasing and (2) that’s no different than any person telling someone embarking on a long shot career to be aware of the risk involved. And he never dropped Amil’s album so it ain’t like he believed women rappers could sell :deadrose:. Eve dropped in 99 - Amil was dropped from the label by 2001.

Another superstar woman rapper literally did not emerge until Nicki Minaj nearly a decade later. He was clearly right :deadrose:. People love calling anyone who gives it to them straight a hater.