Rapper Eve Reveals Jay-Z Called When Her Debut Album Dropped & Told Her Not to Get Her Hopes Up Because Female Rappers "Don't Really Do That Well

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How you trying to paint having a top 3 single as a bad thing? So what the album sold less, the singles did more for her career than her debut album and she still went platinum.

She went onto be a bigger artist after her debut album and that’s a fact.

Because it's proving the point. How did her album sales dwindle after having a single THAT big? It's her biggest single. Yes, she still went platinum, but that's beside the point.

It's misleading to say she went on to be a bigger artist after her debut. She became bigger because she branched out into other avenues besides rapping. How do you not see that this proves Jay Z's point? Eve's next album flopped with a single that featured Alicia Keys.

MicIsGod

They like what that mean
Daps
Reppin
Atl
He wasn't wrong.. for every 1 Eve there's a hundred Ms. JADE

:yeshrug:

Plenty of people have talent and don't make it

And even with all that success I never hear anyone ever mention EvE not even in Philly
I love Jay but yall gotta stop the dikkriding. This is some sucker hating shyt to say on a persons album debut. Why even call her? Eve did great for herself and had more success than 98% of rappers who try.

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
nikka it's called raining on someone's parade. It was uncalled for. On top of the fact the nikka was wrong and the only reason she left music was by choice.
Nothing he said was wrong. Women don’t sell well. it’s a fact. Jay z probably got more plat albums that every woman combined

missy and Lauryn are not just rappers btw

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
nikka Let Me Blow Ya Mind was her top 2 biggest hit. Her singles from the first album are in the bottom half of her top 10 hits. She was clearly a bigger STAR afterwards and started branching off into other things.

You just repeated what I just posted with the first sentence. She was a bigger star because she branched out into other things. Musically, she was not a bigger star because that didn't help out much. Her very next album bricked with an Alicia Keys feature. This proves what Jay Z was saying. We all know female rappers have short shelf lives. I don't know why people are going so hard against that fact. There are only a handful of female rappers that were successful beyond the third album. Most didn't even get a third album before the label dropped them.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Hov was probably just trying to smash. Remember what happened with him and Mya:mjlol:

"Producer Tone, who makes up half of the Trackmasters, told Complex in a 2012 interview that Jay-Z was almost immediately turned off by Mya’s “vibe.”

“So Jay came to the studio that night at The Hit Factory. He got it right away he understood what it was but he didn’t like Mya’s vibe in the room. He looked at her like she was a spoiled brat because she was. [Jay] looked at her like, ‘I’m about to rap on your record, you’re about to have a hit, and I don’t think you really appreciate it,’” Tone recalled.

Annoyed, Jay-Z reportedly left the studio, with the producers telling the singer, “‘Yo Mya, Jay wants to do the record, but he feels like you’re not even giving him any love, like no thank you or none of that.’”

Who do you think you are!?Mya had hits back when Pac was talking to you like a child when you were 30. You get in that damn booth and record a classic verse for her
full

I get the feeling Jay is one of those dudes whos game is to diss women to make them more intrigued on some "Is this ugly ass nikka really talking to me like im ugly too:picard:?"

Not suprised at all it worked on "Beyonce"(because they say shes slightly delayed)
wVDOf3.gif

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I love Jay but yall gotta stop the dikkriding. This is some sucker hating shyt to say on a persons album debut. Why even call her? Eve did great for herself and had more success than 98% of rappers who try.

Telling someone not to get their hopes up is basically saying don't get comfortable or complacent. Just because your first album is successful doesn't guarantee the next one will. Every artist fears the sophomore slump. There's a reason for that.

MicIsGod

They like what that mean
Daps
Reppin
Atl
Telling someone not to get their hopes up is basically saying don't get comfortable or complacent. Just because your first album is successful doesn't guarantee the next one will. Every artist fears the sophomore slump. There's a reason for that.
Oh you’re just glazing nvm

Spidey Man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't see the problem with the statement. In the entire 20 plus years of hip hop up till that point, less than 10 female rappers really sold well.

It might be a little too blunt the way it's being reported, but only 2 people know the context and tone behind it, and 1 isn't going to say anything publicly

King Poetic

The D.O.G.( Disciple of God)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Executive Chair Of The West
Salt n pepa, Queen Latifah, foxy, lil kim and who jj fad only ones who went gold and platinum before eve

Even MC Lyte didn’t sell well on any of her albums, then u had a whole of other chicks heather B, roxanne shante, bahamadia and others wasn’t going gold

Jay wasn’t lying

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
I don't see the problem with the statement. In the entire 20 plus years of hip hop up till that point, less than 10 female rappers really sold well.

It might be a little too blunt the way it's being reported, but only 2 people know the context and tone behind it, and 1 isn't going to say anything publicly
Man I remember jay z threads used to have validity. Whether I agreed or not. i can see an argument to be had on either side. Now these past 5 years while jay z not even active or anything. Anything with his name is blown out of proportion. Why do we care so much about anything he do or say?

this thread probably will finish with over 300 replies over good advice lol

when I discovered his music. There is no way i saw this outcome for his future. He literally one of the most prolific voices ever and he don’t speak lol