Rapper Eve Reveals Jay-Z Called When Her Debut Album Dropped & Told Her Not to Get Her Hopes Up Because Female Rappers "Don't Really Do That Well

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
Her second album generated more money for her than her first album despite selling less. It had hits that’s people outside Hip Hop community know about and provided platform for her to get into Film and shows.

It’s categorically wrong what Jay said, at least in regards to Eve, her second album went platinum and had her biggest hits, her third album still sold more than Gold.

Third album had a number 2 single, sold 133,000 copies in first week, sold more than 600,00 copies domestically that’s a success.
How was saying women rappers don’t sell wrong when it was an actual fact? She never said he told her she would never sell. He said manage expectations and you nikkas are acting like the dudes who cried when your career advisor told you your dream career usually isn’t lucrative.

The story should be about Eve beating the odds, not about anyone hating. You guys are unwittingly undermining how amazing what she did was in a genre that isn’t friendly to women.

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

All Star
Daps
Oh he said something to her that was easily perceivable and readily apparent

He didn't throw some sugar on top for me Eve, so she held onto that and felt it's time to relay that to the public 20 years later

Headlines these days - gotta find a way to get people to tune into the Eve interview so obviously what she was doing back then wasn't remarkable in the least

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
Oh, its a jerk move for sure. And he was probably saying that because he knew he was about to bury Amil. It wasn't WRONG but it was an a$$hole call to make if thats how it went down
It all depends on how he said it. But yeah, he wasn’t wrong based on the precedent at the time. There’s two ways that could’ve gone.

“We rooting for you but you know how nikkas be with women artists so don’t be disappointed if the numbers don’t appear to be what you hope.”

Or “Congrats but odds are you going to flop :hmm:

The latter is a dikk move, the former is the shyt I say to younger cousins that be having them in their feelings and then they come back to me years later after their modeling career didn’t pan out like I get it cuzo.

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
How was saying women rappers don’t sell wrong when it was an actual fact? She never said he told her she would never sell. He said manage expectations and you nikkas are acting like the dudes who cried when your career advisor told you your dream career usually isn’t lucrative.

The story should be about Eve beating the odds, not about anyone hating. You guys are unwittingly undermining how amazing what she did was in a genre that isn’t friendly to women.
if you were Dean or Wah from Ruff Ryders and she came back and said Jay called me and said blah blah blah. Your first reaction would have been tell that nygga to mind his business. stop thinking its some kind of encouragement

Redwing80

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
It was sound advice. And how can you say he was wrong. Look at Eve's music career. Her first album went double platinum. The second one went platinum, which is less. This was with a Dr. Dre produced single featuring Gwen Stefani. Her third album bricked so hard Foxy clowned her ("how you catch a brick with a Alicia Keys"). Then she was about to drop a fourth album and had a hit single in "Tambourine". That album got shelved.

In terms of female rappers, the ceiling was three albums. And out of the three one was probably going to brick. Missy, Kim, MC Lyte, and Nicki Minaj are the only female rappers I can think of that had three or more successful albums. How was Jay Z wrong or hating in this scenario?
How's this any different to 90% of male artists :dead:

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Don't be wrong and strong my nikka

So how many male rappers had a Dr. Dre produced single featuring Gwen Stefani and still sold less than the previous album? Not to mention, this song was the biggest song she had. It was one of the biggest songs of 2001 peaking at #2 on the Hot 100.

Budda

Superstar
Daps
So how many male rappers had a Dr. Dre produced single featuring Gwen Stefani and still sold less than the previous album? Not to mention, this song was the biggest song she had. It was one of the biggest songs of 2001 peaking at #2 on the Hot 100.

How you trying to paint having a top 3 single as a bad thing? So what the album sold less, the singles did more for her career than her debut album and she still went platinum.

She went onto be a bigger artist after her debut album and that’s a fact.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
nikka Let Me Blow Ya Mind was her top 2 biggest hit. Her singles from the first album are in the bottom half of her top 10 hits. She was clearly a bigger STAR afterwards and started branching off into other things.