Personally, what do you think of Affirmative Action?

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits

I just sat down to read this and im pissed. Everything you said was a 100% correct. IM GONNA GET AN F THIS IS A DISASTER :damn:

Not too bad, it's better than I thought.

But you definitely need to stop using the word, "that"

I'd recommend signal phrase quotations, so that easier, to see the reference, instead of having to scroll all the way down to the works cited page....

always avoid using words like: "that", "thing" etc...

Like BP mentioned, it's around a B / B-

ogc163

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
I think it's something most agree would be a better idea.

Race vs. Class: The Future of Affirmative Action - FORA.tv

Great debate from 09 --interesting points on Black immigrants and 86% of the beneficiaries of Affirmative Action being middle class or upper middle class :wow:

When I bring up class considerations with my friends and former classmates who are pro AA (most of whom are middle class) I get answers similar to the ones Julian Bond was giving. I really don't think there is a good deal of support for changing AA to a class based system among that crowd based on my experience in discussing the subject :manny:

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
We don't need this shyt anymore - It just takes away from the fact that we have to work 3 times harder in everything we do.. People like to pretend that AA actually makes up for shyt, lol.. in My state it's all but done because c00ns like Ward Connerlly feel that black people should stay in their place.

We simply need to get the qualifications.. America has financial problems, it's best to be an owner, but if you can't - the highest institutions and most technical and/or complex positions go to the man w the skill... The better you are the harder it is for them to CAC

I participate in my own Affirmative Action. I may have worked hard to get positions, but fuk that I know the situations people get in. I always help out black people first, I suggest black people for basically everything...shyt's borderline racist, but there are always qualified people of all races, so why not help those who are systematically shyt on the most?

Daps
Reppin
NULL
They should cancel affirmative action and give free college education to all African American/First Nations people who want to enrol.

Easier, barrier free access to education = upward mobility.

lol @ white feminists gaming the system and getting affirmative action quotas in their favour. Anytime i hear someone talk about AA it's always, we need more women in boardrooms, we need to uplift women, blah blah blah.

I just sit there like :ld:

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
Aa in academics and in employment work differently, I think it's on open question wether standards are lowered for aa hires, because there is a lot of subjectivity in the hiring process

But in academics it's very clear that aa represents lowering standards, because in academics admittance is way more objective because you have grades and test scores, so in academics aa is basically a program that allows minority students with lower grades and lower scores into the school

For links google university of California or university of Michigan, 2 schools that got rid of aa

I didn't catch this back then, but you're wrong and your assumptions are flawed. You assume that because AA is gone that the only cause in those drop in numbers could be because of AA. In actuality, I sat on the panel that looked into that stuff and AAs were accepted at the exact same rate as before and were no longer choosing to attend Michigan. There was a stigma attached after the AA misrepresentation. We had recruiters trying to figure out how kids were now choosing Iowa over Michigan.

Last edited:

ltheghost

Payin Debts.... N40
Daps
Reppin
Japan, but from the 989
I didn't catch this back then, but you're wrong and you're assumptions are flawed. You assume that because AA is gone that the only cause in those drop in numbers could be because of AA. In actuality, I sat on the panel that looked into that stuff and AAs were accepted at the exact same rate as before and were no longer choosing to attend Michigan. There was a stigma attached after the AA misrepresentation. We had recruiters trying to figure out how kids were now choosing Iowa over Michigan.

I've actually heard the stigma when I went "trying" to recruit some kids to U of M while visiting my old city. "Only white people go there". "I'm not smart enough to get in". "They don't want Black people there". I swear after the Gratz case, you did notice a drop off in black female freshman...I was one of the vultures who would check out Markley during the Summer...looking for Bridge students to mentor..lol.. But that stigma was real for a long time.