Personally, what do you think of Affirmative Action?

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
Last edited by a moderator:

J-Fire

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Outside of college admittance AA is a non issue issue.

On the issue of college admittance....
I used to think along the lines of "let the most qualified in..."

Then I worked as a professional for 10+ years and realized college, by and large, don't mean shyt. Yeah you heard it here first.

And when I say, "don't mean shyt" i mean it's a poor indicator of intelligence, skill, ability and work ethic. *Caveat* That's not to say very intelligent, skillful, able and hard working people don't go to college.

The only instance a degree is important is when it keeps you from advancing in your career...which it will if you don't have one.

The kids who benefit from AA are no dumber or less able than the kids who get better HS grades or score better on ACT/SAT's, in a lot of cases they just haven't had the benefit of a good highschool/gradeschool education like some of the people they are competing against.

Sadly Universities IMHO just don't pump out the same standard of people as they used to and most people end up "learning" on the job.

I'd rather have experience > degree any day (this does not apply to all fields).

AA only removes the paper ceiling created by NOT having a degree.

It's not a solution to the problem, it's a bandaid. The problem is kids in poorer areas are not being educated like they should be. THAT, IMHO, needs to be addressed and a solution needs to be found.

school is showing you can sit there and focus on your work and do what you have to do. Most failures in school come from poor work ethic and not getting extra help and communicating with professors. Most professors are there for research and don't like to give out bad grades.

you learn humility along the way. Sometimes you have to re-prove yourself (do it over again even if you learned it in high school or undergrad) and don't need to be on I know everything type of attitude. And if you don't go to a target school you gonna have a situation on top of that and need a higher gpa or what-have-you regardless of race. You have to be able to compete, work hard, and be humble.

this is 2013 Most jobs require a degree for them to even look at your resume. and usally an internship to boot. Ain't nobody teaching you the concepts of accounting, finance, and engineering in the work place nor will they risk unproven mental work-ethic.

https://www.morganstanley.com/about/careers/online_ap.html
they not given out internship to someone straight out of high school....

J-Fire

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL

no. just like in the wsj article. kids come in thinking they da sh!t and get humbled. humility is learned and you go from there! once you learn to read and write you can educate yourself on new topics with some hard-work.

Learn to take certain classes online so you can be open book. You mean to tell me white kid from bumfu*k Alabama is more educated than black kid from Syracuse, hahaha! no way!

Lots of kids struggle 1st yr of college because they wasn't used to putting in hard work to get good grades...they did well because they raised their hand in class and had good behavior instead of actually having acceptable knowledge in a lot of cases during grade school.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
Ill post an essay i just wrote on this topic to switch it to a class based system. Its terrible, but the idea is alright.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Brown_Pride

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atheist for Jesus
school is showing you can sit there and focus on your work and do what you have to do. Most failures in school come from poor work ethic and not getting extra help and communicating with professors. Most professors are there for research and don't like to give out bad grades.

you learn humility along the way. Sometimes you have to re-prove yourself (do it over again even if you learned it in high school or undergrad) and don't need to be on I know everything type of attitude. And if you don't go to a target school you gonna have a situation on top of that and need a higher gpa or what-have-you regardless of race. You have to be able to compete, work hard, and be humble.

this is 2013 Most jobs require a degree for them to even look at your resume. and usally an internship to boot. Ain't nobody teaching you the concepts of accounting, finance, and engineering in the work place nor will they risk unproven mental work-ethic.

https://www.morganstanley.com/about/careers/online_ap.html
they not given out internship to someone straight out of high school....

oh don't get me wrong a degree is OPTIMAL and prefered. As for "work either" in college :beli:

Maybe in some places. I know more than a few people who have admitted they have their degree and didn't read a SINGLE BOOK. Shouldn't be possible but it is. You said ityourself profs aren't their to give out bad grades... You can learn accounting/finance (i'm not an engineer so i don' t know)in the field, you just gotta start from the bottom and if you're ABLE then you can. More or less what i did.

Yes you'd not get an internship ant morgan stanley, thing is morgan stanley aint' the only game in town. Drive down the street and damn near ever building you see has someone "working the books" cutting checks, reconciling accounts. Not everyone in those buildines has a degree and they eat well...they could do better :manny:

again, i've worked at well over 10 companies in my 10 years (i was a contractor for 5) and if there's one thing I learned to spot is "smart people" with degrees and just people with degrees.

J-Fire

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL

that' s cool. But how do you combat legacy admissions and rich white daddy doner/booster admissions? How do we get our under-qualified but well off blacks into good schools? well-off ain't good enough to buy your way into a school!

AA with a well-off black or Latino gives us the same power of the rich white daddy that sends his ditzy daughter to Stanford because of money and maybe being golf buddies with the board of directors. AA gets our qualified and under-qualified black and Latinos into the school just like the whites. Not every white person at an elite university is a genius!...white under-qualified can get in through networking and paying off people.

Why do minorities have to be qualified when a white person can networking behind the scenes?

get rid of doners, boosters, and legacy and only take qualified white people......then I will support economic based admission. As long as the rich white golf buddy culture exists affirmative action should continue and be tweaked to benefit blacks and latinos even more.

Brown_Pride

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atheist for Jesus
my 2 cents...

Well i read it. Didn't like it. :manny:

First I don't like your view of AA, i don't like your solution....completely.

So I'm gonna grade the paper, I'm not gonna argue your thesis mostly just maybe give you some "here's what i'd have done" type suggestions for future reference. Again, while i disagree with it i'm mostly gonna try and point out some areas you could have improved on for future writing.
I'm also assuming the requirements of the paper were that you argue one side or the other right?

So first off the title is not very academic... :manny: if you were writing this for a blog or magazine then have at it...that's mostly style though.

Your opening paragraph deals mostly with timeline. You tell us WHy we have AA, hell up until the last sentence i thought you were taking this in another direction but then you said, " but its time to make a change to truly achieve the color blind society Martin Luther King Jr dreamed of." You never built up or even touched on WHY we might need to do this...so it reads sorta odd in that you sound like you're supporting it, then you say we need to change it, then you offer up your solution at the last second never really laying a foundation. Essentially your thesis is preceded by nothing.

Your next paragraph starts out providing proof as to why AA is good and you admit large corporations support it.
This is a sizeable sample of corporations who support affirmative action as if they could not hire colorblind themselves. It is pretty unfair that just because a person is black or brown you are getting special treatment over more qualified individuals.
Why is it unfair? The counter argument is usually, "because of past racism in an effort to "level the playingt field" If you're trying to persuade someone ofyour point the best way to do that is first take out their arguments. You didn't do this here.

You ask, "why should a poor white kid get screwed in exchane for a rich black kid". Now i get where you're going but you never answered your own question...again when arguing a point it's best not to let your reader arrive at their own conclusion. If you ask a questions, answer it. Otherwise, like me when i read it i said in my head, "YES it is", and you left me with that thought in my head. ...

You brought up the point of disgruntled classmates, detriment to school prestige but never really back it. You quoted an opinion...or at least it looked like one because there was no evidence as to any of your claims.

Then you said this
Taking this as an example, the policy has actually done more to further racism in society than regress it.
That's a pretty bold ass statement to make, essentially you're saying without AA we'd have LESS racism. Your argument doesn't support this.

this is getting long winded and the majority of what i found you could improve on was the first two paragraphs so i'll stop...

actually on the 3rd paragraph just a high level
1. It curtails prejudice because of disdain for an unachieved status given to minority students and 2. produces upwards social mobility for the lower economic class.

on 1. as i said you never really proved that point and since you linked it to your 3rd paragraph it makes the argument a little watered down.

on 2. You quoted Deparle but never really said how this would be DIFFERENT. If anything the numbers you gave painted teh reverse. With AA 12% blacks and latinos WITHOUT 10%. More is better right?

Overall i'd give it a b to a b-.

It was spotty and could hvae used a more persuasive argument and some ends could have been tied up better but overall wasn't to bad.

On your argument you're just flat wrong though bruh lol.

OH and PROOF READ OUT LOUD. And have someone else read your shyt first. Had you posted this here first I could have pointed out typos and little shyt that might cost you on your grade.

Mook

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
my 2 cents...

So I'm gonna grade the paper, I'm not gonna argue your thesis mostly just maybe give you some "here's what i'd have done" type suggestions for future reference. Again, while i disagree with it i'm mostly gonna try and point out some areas you could have improved on for future writing.
I'm also assuming the requirements of the paper were that you argue one side or the other right?

So first off the title is not very academic... :manny: if you were writing this for a blog or magazine then have at it...that's mostly style though.

Your opening paragraph deals mostly with timeline. You tell us WHy we have AA, hell up until the last sentence i thought you were taking this in another direction but then you said, " but its time to make a change to truly achieve the color blind society Martin Luther King Jr dreamed of." You never built up or even touched on WHY we might need to do this...so it reads sorta odd in that you sound like you're supporting it, then you say we need to change it, then you offer up your solution at the last second never really laying a foundation. Essentially your thesis is preceded by nothing.

Your next paragraph starts out providing proof as to why AA is good and you admit large corporations support it. Why is it unfair? The counter argument is usually, "because of past racism in an effort to "level the playingt field" If you're trying to persuade someone ofyour point the best way to do that is first take out their arguments. You didn't do this here.

You ask, "why should a poor white kid get screwed in exchane for a rich black kid". Now i get where you're going but you never answered your own question...again when arguing a point it's best not to let your reader arrive at their own conclusion. If you ask a questions, answer it. Otherwise, like me when i read it i said in my head, "YES it is", and you left me with that thought in my head. ...

You brought up the point of disgruntled classmates, detriment to school prestige but never really back it. You quoted an opinion...or at least it looked like one because there was no evidence as to any of your claims.

Then you said this

That's a pretty bold ass statement to make, essentially you're saying without AA we'd have LESS racism. Your argument doesn't support this.

this is getting long winded and the majority of what i found you could improve on was the first two paragraphs so i'll stop...

on 1. as i said you never really proved that point and since you linked it to your 3rd paragraph it makes the argument a little watered down.

on 2. You quoted Deparle but never really said how this would be DIFFERENT. If anything the numbers you gave painted teh reverse. With AA 12% blacks and latinos WITHOUT 10%. More is better right?

It was spotty and could hvae used a more persuasive argument and some ends could have been tied up better but overall wasn't to bad.

OH and PROOF READ OUT LOUD. And have someone else read your shyt first. Had you posted this here first I could have pointed out typos and little shyt that might cost you on your grade.

I would have put it here earlier if i knew yall would read it :russ: what happened was. I was gonna support aa, but i read the instructions wrong and i had to be against. I did so much research though i couldn't change it so i made a pivot. Im at work now so ill add more later. I think the proposal i put is as fair AS you can make it without screwimg us (coloreds)

Brown_Pride

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atheist for Jesus

I would have put it here earlier if i knew yall would read it :russ: what happened was. I was gonna support aa, but i read the instructions wrong and i had to be against. I did so much research though i couldn't change it so i made a pivot. Im at work now so ill add more later. I think the proposal i put is as fair AS you can make it without screwimg us (coloreds)

makes sense lol. I don't mind reading shyt for future reference. :thumbsup:

J-Fire

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Oh...no point in arguing with you since You're not against affirmative action. Colleges are in the money making business...it's possible to buy your way into school and its mostly done by rich whites. Clean up the fake donations and conflicts of interest then we can see about getting rid of affirmative action once everything is equal forreal. The white kids complaining need to take it out on the rich daddy of the ditzy white girls taking spots.

Mook

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
my 2 cents...

Your next paragraph starts out providing proof as to why AA is good and you admit large corporations support it. Why is it unfair? The counter argument is usually, "because of past racism in an effort to "level the playingt field" If you're trying to persuade someone ofyour point the best way to do that is first take out their arguments. You didn't do this here.

Then you said this

I just sat down to read this and im pissed. Everything you said was a 100% correct. IM GONNA GET AN F THIS IS A DISASTER :damn:

Brown_Pride

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atheist for Jesus

I just sat down to read this and im pissed. Everything you said was a 100% correct. IM GONNA GET AN F THIS IS A DISASTER :damn:

Nah man it wasn't horrible. For a 8th grade midterm paper it was good. :ooh:

just fukin with you. Let's see how did my english teacher used to tell me.

You had the general idea down but didn't dig deep enough and if you were trying to persuade me you did the exact opposite.

:( it sounds bad if you take it the wrong way lol.
Daps to Dr. Allison (my High School english teacher)