Personally, what do you think of Affirmative Action?

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
Good response, but I dare I say that most employers are publicly traded and are subject to affirmative action policies, are they not?

Well, most employers that blacks are trying to work for anyway...

being public has nothing to do with anything, the only companies that are required to have AA programs are government contractors and like i said the main beneficiaries of that are not black

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
Ok. So basically, there was never any natural unity? All the camaraderie in the black community was due to circumstances and integration just revealed our true character?

Bruh...It's a reason why our inter continental brothers\sisters of African ancestry look at American blacks sideways, and most of it isn't because of media programming either..........

Sad to say, we needed a guide during the first 10-20 years of integration but unfortunately they were strategically removed from the picture....

im just explaining the facts of what happened, i wouldnt interpret those facts the way you are interpreting it

Daps
Reppin
Dreadfort
tbh if it wasn't for AA i probably would have never got into the university i wanted..my average was def below the cutoff mark but i still got in wtv i don;t make the rules brehsO_O

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
So basically, most companies are using EOE laws, not affirmative action?

yeah EOE laws and civil rights laws in general

now admittedly im sure companies hire black people just to make it look like they dont discriminate but that is not affirmative action, technically speaking, and so getting rid of aa wouldnt really impact that either way because the normal civil rights laws would still be in effect and lawsuits can be filed for any gross discrimination

the impact aa is highly exaggerated by both sides of the argument

Fervid

Largest Member
Daps
I'm paying on my student loans. I didn't have to. There's my opinion.

Ski Mask

Friendzone: Collection 1
Daps
Reppin
Vegas/seattle
Like how white women are the ones who benefit the most from aa yet get the least criticism from benefiting from it. Then there's the whole double standard involving Legacy admissions.

Brown_Pride

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atheist for Jesus
Outside of college admittance AA is a non issue issue.

On the issue of college admittance....
I used to think along the lines of "let the most qualified in..."

Then I worked as a professional for 10+ years and realized college, by and large, don't mean shyt. Yeah you heard it here first.

And when I say, "don't mean shyt" i mean it's a poor indicator of intelligence, skill, ability and work ethic. *Caveat* That's not to say very intelligent, skillful, able and hard working people don't go to college.

The only instance a degree is important is when it keeps you from advancing in your career...which it will if you don't have one.

The kids who benefit from AA are no dumber or less able than the kids who get better HS grades or score better on ACT/SAT's, in a lot of cases they just haven't had the benefit of a good highschool/gradeschool education like some of the people they are competing against.

Sadly Universities IMHO just don't pump out the same standard of people as they used to and most people end up "learning" on the job.

I'd rather have experience > degree any day (this does not apply to all fields).

AA only removes the paper ceiling created by NOT having a degree.

It's not a solution to the problem, it's a bandaid. The problem is kids in poorer areas are not being educated like they should be. THAT, IMHO, needs to be addressed and a solution needs to be found.

J-Fire

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Outside of college admittance AA is a non issue issue.

On the issue of college admittance....
I used to think along the lines of "let the most qualified in..."

Then I worked as a professional for 10+ years and realized college, by and large, don't mean shyt. Yeah you heard it here first.

And when I say, "don't mean shyt" i mean it's a poor indicator of intelligence, skill, ability and work ethic. *Caveat* That's not to say very intelligent, skillful, able and hard working people don't go to college.

The only instance a degree is important is when it keeps you from advancing in your career...which it will if you don't have one.

The kids who benefit from AA are no dumber or less able than the kids who get better HS grades or score better on ACT/SAT's, in a lot of cases they just haven't had the benefit of a good highschool/gradeschool education like some of the people they are competing against.

Sadly Universities IMHO just don't pump out the same standard of people as they used to and most people end up "learning" on the job.

I'd rather have experience > degree any day (this does not apply to all fields).

AA only removes the paper ceiling created by NOT having a degree.

It's not a solution to the problem, it's a bandaid. The problem is kids in poorer areas are not being educated like they should be. THAT, IMHO, needs to be addressed and a solution needs to be found.

outside of customer service and adminstrative assistant...what type of career are you breaking into without a degree or served in the millitary? You can go from admin assistant to doing something more analytical....but that will take quite a bit of time and luck.

it is 2013...aassociates is like a high school diploma especially in a bad economy where noone including government wants to spend time and money on a project.

Brown_Pride

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atheist for Jesus
outside of customer service and adminstrative assistant...what type of career are you breaking into without a degree or served in the millitary? You can go from admin assistant to doing something more analytical....but that will take quite a bit of time and luck.

it is 2013...aassociates is like a high school diploma especially in a bad economy where noone including government wants to spend time and money on a project.

For someone with no brain yes, it can take a long time. If you don't have a degree and you stay with a company for more than 2 years without either getting a promotion or tuition assistance then you're doing it wrong (unless you get in a good company...in which case they have tuition assistance.)

Best advice i got from my very first controller at Bechtel. I started in the mail room there, opening AP envelopes and data entering those sons of biotches. Hopped around and temped for a bit 2-5 years. Honestly I learned so much more doing that than going to college.

What's sad is some companies have that paper ceiling and they miss out on a lot of good people while also hiring morons because they managed to cliff note their way through a degree. No joke I work with a principle analyst from ASU that has NEVER...I mean NEVER read a book...ever. Like Ever. Got through college with cliff notes. He's pretty smart though so i know he's not the norm.

just saying AA, IMHO, opens up more opportunities for slightly less qualified candidates in some cases and honestly i don't see a problem there.

SOme say it's not fair, that's life. What's not fair is being born to crack parent. Having to go to your safety school is hardly "rough".

ogc163

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC

Interesting, here is Richard Kahlenberg's review on Mismatch Richard D. Kahlenberg Reviews "Mismatch: How Affirmative Action Hurts Students It

I personally am still skeptical of going towards a income based Affirmative Action. But a question for those in favor of AA, how would you feel about an income/SES based Affirmative Action?

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
@BarNone :beli:

But Sander and Taylor’s main argument is that there may be subsets of students who are hurt. In particular, they cite evidence that students who receive large admissions preferences at elite colleges are more likely to shift away from science and engineering than those who have not received preferential treatment. Likewise, law school graduates appear more likely to fail the bar if they are at the bottom of the class in a highly selective school than if they are in the middle of the pack at a less selective school.
Richard D. Kahlenberg Reviews "Mismatch: How Affirmative Action Hurts Students It

:rip:

GL luck bro :to:

Last edited by a moderator: