“People Who Downplay Latinos Role In Hip Hop Are SO STUPID” - KRS-One

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
First of all, You mentioned SalSoul (Disco label) records because you THOUGHT that represented some type of unity between Blacks and Latins.
It did. You have yet to show how it didn't represent the marriage of Black music to Salsa. State how it didn't because you already posted examples of Ricans who embraced Black music and the push back they received only to now say a label LITERALLY called SAL (salsa) SOL (Soul music) didn't demonstrate that very embrace.

And YOU are the outta towners in here are co-signing?

:camby:

Uncouth Savage

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY
You obviously aren’t able to comprehend my message

What the hell do you think I’m saying here? Lol. I’m talking about the Afro-Latino’s who are descended from the enslaved Africans who were actually integral to the cultivation of music in Latin America. Same as in Brazil, Cuba, Colombia and every where else where black people inhabit. Black people are the common denominator.​

Apologies, we on the same page then.

I think it goes deeper than race though.
Whether it be Egypt, Atlanta, Harlem, London etc

Anywhere the best and brightest congregate and unite
Something new/better is always created.

Hiphop could only have been created in a certain place
No surprise in the same place the Harlem Renaissance happened

The best thing we can do is being open minded to learning and seeing other perspectives.

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Yet Black caribs like Red Alert and others played a role in it and the youth in their neighborhoods embraced the new counterculture that was hip hop.

That's how it works.

New Black American Artform ---> Counterculture --> Non Black American Blacks and Rican youth embraced the culture.

DO YOU REALIZE YOU'RE AGREEING WITH US????

YOURE SAYING THE CORRECT THINGS
BUT THATS NOT WHAT MANY FROM
THE OTHER SIDES ARE SAYING NOWADAYS.

THEYRE TRYING TO REWRITE HISTORY.

:devil:
:evil:

Lootha VanDraws

'The Night I Fell in Love' is the GOAT R&B album
Daps
I watched a documentary about a guy called Disco King Mario who was from the Bronx, who was said to have thrown the earliest proto hip-hop parties, well before Herc did.

NYC Rebel

Daps

DO YOU REALIZE YOU'RE AGREEING WITH US????

YOURE SAYING THE CORRECT THINGS
BUT THATS NOT WHAT MANY FROM
THE OTHER SIDES ARE SAYING NOWADAYS.

THEYRE TRYING TO REWRITE HISTORY.

:devil:
:evil:

There's no large contingent of Ricans I've ever seen in this city say that they created hip hop.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
And when Bob Marley grew locks the folks who loved him when he sang motown music, hated him then.
That is normal and regular.

These places had slavery sir
They still have power structures of racists sir

Yes the racists will always fight against anything blk

As with WHITE AMERICA, the youth choose what they want to listen to.
And the youth will always choose unity.

Even today, my white neighbors, the kids LOVE drill music.

What you proving, that there were elderly musicians and racists in puerto rico against rap music?

I was talking latin Boogaloo in the post, not HipHop

NYC Rebel

Daps
What it largely shows is that the two groups didn't rock with each other like that. Something many of you are in denial about

they even were:mjpls: to their own people

I know who these people are. My uncle worked with the late Pablo who was a big time Yoruba follower. What do you think you are showing other than Ricans having elements of colorism that you expected hip hop to erase? :mjlol:

Why not post Felipe talking about him being that bridge that got Ricans comfortable with shyt?

Hip Hop, disco, salsa, was NOT going to erase their issues with blackness.
Meanwhile, their blanquitos were crying over my uncle's casket as Ifa followers.

Uncouth Savage

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY
I was talking latin Boogaloo in the post, not HipHop

And what I am saying is the music industry always been corrupt and many times racist.
So a new art form would be viewed as competition.
The racists would not stop be racists.

Can you agree that there are a large majority of ricans that look no different from blk americans?
And that if they did not tell you they rican, you would not know?

Point is unless you close to or went to school with a person, you would never know they Rican if they brown or dark.
Hence could be a thousand ricans in parties that look like blk americans.
As Herc looked no different from most blk americans, and could even pass for a Rican.

Is that true sir?

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
I know who these people are. My uncle worked with the late Pablo who was a big time Yoruba follower. What do you think you are showing other than Ricans having elements of colorism that you expected hip hop to erase? :mjlol:

Hip Hop, disco, salsa, was NOT going to erase their issues with blackness.
Meanwhile, their blanquitos were crying over my uncle's casket as an Ifa follower.
Bro, you know I fuk with you (pause) but this directly counters your argument earlier about everything being koombya between Black Americans & PR's. You're a little older than me but you know our peer groups parents were racist AF towards Black Americans & didn't want their kids around us. It wasn't until the very late 70's into the 80's where things got a little better because they started assimilating into our culture. Before that, (and I'm talking the early 70's & before) shyt was still segregated between all of us & they didn't fuk with us like that

NYC Rebel

Daps
Bro, you know I fuk with you (pause) but this directly counters your argument earlier about everything being koombya between Black Americans & PR's. Y
Who the fukk is that stupid? There was MUCH more ease compared to the past. WTF are you changing my point?

NYC Rebel

Daps
I'm not changing your point. Do I need to quote your post lol?
You are changing my point. Who the fukk said there was wholehearted kumbya between Blacks and Ricans when I stated the Ricans still had their age old issues with anti-blackness that hip hop couldn't solve? :dahell:

But to outright say their wasn't an embrace after the gang truces in the early 70s would be an outside lie. That's evidenced in the cultural outgrowth by the ease between each group compared to years prior. I LAID that out but yall want to wrap shyt up into these simpleton statements I never made.

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
Wrong

I'm only responding to correct you because you got it wrong. I didn't make a mistake, you did. I said 2020's as in the decade...Not 2020 the year. Read it again.

I'm clearly referencing the decade not the year. Joe hosted it in 22 and 23. My wording signals that I'm referencing an event that happened more then once. Not once like u claimed.

The reason that you made the mistake is because, just like everyone else, you aren't listening or paying attention to anything I am saying. You are just waiting to say anything that negates my comment. Look at how the poster Kony dapped you even tho u are wrong. Had u actually been paying attention u wouldnt have made that blunder and thats why I dont want to have a discussion with you on this topic any further.

:snoop: now your trolling

and whether or not you meant the 2020s it’s still irrelevant because Fat Joe made those comments about Puerto Ricans being co-creators from the very beginning of hip-hop way before he was given the opportunity to host BET’s hip-hop awards which for the last and final time makes Tariq have every right to criticize that decision

At the end of the day, you can’t get yourself outta this
you are 100% wrong
you should just be man enough and take your L with dignity

Rakim Allah

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Bruh....Yoruba people were brought their and Cuba. You had some Yorubas on both islands RETURN to Nigeria in the late 1800s.

Ricans worship African God's while carrying colorist and colonial baggage.

No one is STUPID enough to think Hip Hop would erase that other than buffoons in here.
You’ve created about 4 or 5 different arguments to deflect from the fact that Ricans were not 50/50 with Foundational Black Americans. No one is denying their participation or influence after Hip Hop was created, friend.