“People Who Downplay Latinos Role In Hip Hop Are SO STUPID” - KRS-One

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Lets be real here concerning this topic. It's really been a "Lets pick and chose who we want to listen to concerning the origins of Hip Hop."

Notice how you just mentioned Sha Rock. But Sha Rock was 11 years old in 1973. But when I pointed out that its not too far fetched that KRS at 11 years old witnessed what he saw in 1976 at 11 years old on the song South Bronx, a bunch of posters jumped down my throat. Ha Ha Hee Hee KRS wasn't outside at 11 years old he was watching cartoons and eating Cheerios....But here you are mentioning Sha Rock. Someone else mentioned Sha Rock...But she was 11 years old in 1973 and now all of a sudden when her name is mentioned an 11 year old has a say so but KRS doesn't. This 11 year old over here has a good testimony but this 11 year old doesn't. That's picking and choosing

Sha Rock is foundational to the female bgirl element, female rap element and foundational to RAP CREWS; in general.

She came up around the TRUE pioneers

You wont find KRS' name on any of these flyers from the 1970s

because the dude came in the 1980s:lolbron:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
FBAs got Colon
tumblr_n6nfizae3Q1tu7965o1_400.gif

Ricky Fontaine

Superstar
Daps
KRS is really hurting his legacy with this tomfoolery.
:francis:

Someone earlier in the thread asked what incentive would KRS have to lie.

Then someone replied he could be paid by Latinos to teach that Latinos started hip-hop and people in the thread laughed at him.

Tell me how I seen a video of KRS doing EXACTLY THAT for a room full of Puerto Ricans! :dead:

As much as I respected him, dude comes cheap, man. He'll say anything for a dollar fifty and a handshake. I can't look at him the same lol.

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
Interview with old school Rican BBoy JoJo from the Rock Steady Crew:

SIR NORIN RAD:"From which part of the Boogie Down Bronx are you originally?"

JOJO:"I grew up on the West Side of the Bronx which was on Tremont Avenue.......Tremont & Grand which where I lived at was upper Grand Avenue 'cause Grand Avenue and Davidson Avenue cut right through Tremont Avenue and they had a lower Grand Avenue and a upper Grand Avenue and I was living on the upper Grand Avenue. So it was on the West Side of the Bronx."

SIR NORIN RAD:"Were you also born in the Bronx?"

JOJO:"No, I was born in Manhattan.....Metropolitan Hospital...on 3rd Avenue there and I lived in Manhattan until 1970, that's when I moved up to the Bronx."

SIR NORIN RAD:"Which year were you born?"

JOJO:"1964."

SIR NORIN RAD:"Where and when did you witness B-Boying for the first time?"

JOJO:"Okay, well let me just start off by starting how I even got into dancing and it will lead to that, okay?"

SIR NORIN RAD:"Yes."

JOJO:"It started when I was very young. My mother and my father got married and my father went to job corps. He became a welder and he came back to get his family which we were little kids at the time and he took us up to Boston, Massachusetts. We had a house and we lived there for about a year and then he died in a car accident. So my moms couldn't afford to keep the house so we had to move back to New York City. So when we moved back to New York City we really was out of a place. You know, we needed a place fast, we didn't know where.....and there was this Black lady....her name was Miss Vern Tucker.....she was a good friend of my grandmother for years and she offered to take us in and we lived with her for a few years until we got back on our feet and she became my grandmother. So her family had parties and I can truly say that my flavour and my dance spirit and all that came from being at these house parties that they used to throw and we were a part of it.We were there at these parties that they used to throw at Christmas, Thanksgiving......we were also there at their birthday parties. And slowly but surely Miss Vern Tucker became my grandma, you know what I'm saying? And her family became my cousins and that's where my flavour came from when I lived in Manhattan. I used to just dance, I used to just do steps on top and they'd be like, "Go, Jojo! Go, Jojo!!" and actually she is the one that came up with the name Jojo. So that's where that came from. So finally we found a place in the Bronx and we moved up to the Bronx and that's where it all started for me. I lived there from 1970 till 1984. So while I lived there, there was a kid that lived in my building on Grand Avenue, his name was Mark. Black kid, he lived upstairs and I lived on the first floor. So one day I was at a jam... a DJ Whitehead jam (DJ of The Triple A Crew) at 82 Park...so I'm just chilling, hanging out and all of a sudden I see Mark and Mark is Breaking!!! And that was the first time I seen somebody do footwork, so I was like, "Holy crap!" You know, he was pretty good and I just looked at it and I went and I approached him. I said, "That's kinda nice! I like that!" And he's like, "Do you get down?" 'Cause that's what we called it back then.....we called it getting down. He said, "Do you get down?" I said, "Yeah, I get down!" He said, "Can you show me?" So I did some stuff that I just knew but he said, "That's not getting down! This is getting down!!" and so he went down and did these moves. I was flabbergasted when I first seen it, I was like, "Wow! I'm gonna really learn that!" So I went home and I practiced so the next time he would see me I actually had my footwork already. It was something for me to catch it and I caught it quick and it went from there. I just kept on practicing and practicing Then I started noticing more B-Boys and witnessing more circles and that's when I was in Public School 26 on Burnside Avenue. After I left there I wasn't really dancing like in a crew or nothing like that. Then I moved to JHS 115 in the Bronx and that's when I really started exhibiting my style of dancing and all that because I got actually kinda good at it and then I used to come out at lunch time and there was always some B-Boys breaking. Like a circle and people would come out for lunch and watch and then everybody would go back in. So I ate B-Boys for lunch and that's how I met Aby (The Bronx Boys).

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
same interview:
SIR NORIN RAD:"That's very interesting! You were featured in that documentary "The Freshest Kids" and you stated there something to the effect that you were actually already B-Boying when there were hardly any Puerto Ricans around doing that dance...."

JOJO:"That's exactly what I'm meaning. What I'm telling you now that's what I meant when I said that. We were the only Puerto Ricans that got busy. Now DJ Kool Tee and DJ Mr. Lee (early DJs from the West Bronx) used to give us our respect and say, "Check out the Puerto Rican B-Boys in the house! B-Boy Spiderman and B-Boy Spiderweb!" And we got busy and that was way back. Back then there were a lot of Zulu B-Boys around. They sorta ran it back then. As for the Puerto Rican B-Boys we were just up and coming. You know, we were people who wanted to learn it and got good at it 'cause, you know, they say Puerto Ricans actually put B-Boys on their back. We're the ones that started the backspinning and all these kind of moves. As far as the footwork and the flip turns that they did....that came from the Black B-Boys."

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
Old School Rican BBoy, Ken Swift, from the Rock Steady Crew interview
Interview done by M.Sinckler (Graphotism Magazine)
(This article was published in Graphotism Magazine Issue 14 – 1999.
It was about being the best. Better than the other dancers. Dancing to the beat, and making the crowd respond. But it was about playing with the crowd, doing crazy shyt.
The black kids were the ones that I learnt from but you never learned by asking somebody. Back in the days, it was machoism, it was about that street attitude, that attribute like you ain’t gonna sweat nobody.

Who ever had the nerve to say “teach me”, was considered a sucker, a lil’ bytch-ass punk. So you never asked no one to teach you, you never clapped when a nikka did a good move, you just stood there and acted hard, like it didn’t phase you. It was all about attitude, everyone else did the clapping, not the B-Boys.

Because it wasn’t about clapping, it wasn’t no fukking show, it was dancing, “I’m doing what I do”. So you had to hold your own, you had to learn on your own from what you saw, and you had to be original, ‘cos if you did what you saw you’d be disrespected. You could even get smacked sometimes if you did someone else’s move back in the day. So you had to do your own shyt and you had to learn the foundation, and flipping it right.
For me it wasn’t about making the crowd happy, ‘cos they didn’t know what I was doing anyway. I wanted the B-Boys to say “alright”. For me it was like I wanted to please my crew, I wanted my crew to say “Ohhhhh”. So I didn’t show them none of my shyt until a party, or until the jam or until the battle, and I pulled off some crazy shyt and I gave confidence to them and they didn’t know it because I would do something in front of them and hype them up to do something. You know I was a beginner and I had a lot to prove you know. I wanted to be up there with the best kids, and I wasn’t as good as them, that’s all there was to it. So you know, it took me a while, but I started feeling it, and I really started loving it you know. I really loved Breaking man.

Who would you say is your main influence?
There is no main influence. The main influence for me is the music. OK now, as far as persons are concerned there are a whole number of people who influenced me. Some of the main ones were a kid named Grego, from the Executioners, a crew from East Harlem, there was a kid named Shaky, a Puerto Rican kid from Amsterdam Projects, 61st St. There was also the Number One Sure Shot Crew, with Kid Terrific, he’s a Puerto Rican B-Boy and they inspired me more ‘cos all I saw was brothers, but when I saw Puerto Ricans I felt more comfortable about Breaking.

:mjlol:

3rdWorld

Veteran
Daps
Has anyone explained why early hip hop records and slang don't include any island/latino samples/slang? Seems rather odd.

Question never gets answered by those who swear latinos/Caribbeans created hip hop.

You can't create something monumental like hiphop and not have Latino influence elsewhere in Black art, so where is it?
People also conveniently forget that Latino music is practically all African in origin :mjlol:

KRS would argue the Ricans built the pyramids for the right dollar..smh :snoop: