People no longer believe working hard will lead to a better life

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
I understand to some extent. We need to define what “working hard” in 2024 means because it doesn’t mean what it did 10yrs ago.

If there was some way to measure force mentality or physically, the force you exerted in the past doesn’t give you the same rewards today.

Yep. My parents generation, hard work got you a house and 2 cars with a college education. Now, it's roommate in a rundown apartment and price gouging galore.

French Revolution 3.0 around the corner.

Scaaar

Superstar
Daps
This is the participation trophy generation. Everyone wants a medal without doing any of the work. I remember growing up my dad telling me as a man you're job is to work hard and you're not gonna be able to take your first vacation until you're in your 40s.

These cats nowadays expect shyt handed to them. I think the bullshyt they follow on social media is a big part of the problem. A lot of people are being lied to daily by their favorite content creators about how wonderful their lives are.
A lot of people also think they should be taking a extravagant vacation every month. If they're not able to, they're not doing well. A lot of people have unrealistic expectations. Nobody is handing out nothing. Everything is earned or built through the process..

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
Average cost of a home in America is now almost 400K.
The average college kid got college loans...meaning by the time they are ready to buy a house, it's already out of reach.

If nothing is done about these home prices we are asking for trouble.

No it isn't. In the midwest and south there's plenty of homes around $150k -$250k. My parents just bought a house for $140k not great, but a good starter and in a good area.

Scaaar

Superstar
Daps
Yep. My parents generation, hard work got you a house and 2 cars with a college education. Now, it's roommate in a rundown apartment and price gouging galore.

French Revolution 3.0 around the corner.
But the key there is your parents did it together. A lot of people have that rugged individualism that they can do it on their own than with a partner. 2>1

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
Breh, you feel free to believe that.

My philosophy has worked fine for me. I’m clearing the goal amount I set for myself coming out of business school and not killing myself to do it.

In most scenarios it's better to work hard.

You went to ivy league? Thats the very definition of working hard brehette.:russ: You cant tell me it was easy.

The only people who make money doing the bare minimum are kids of rich parents or very tight niche clubs, people who know people

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
But the key there is your parents did it together. A lot of people have that rugged individualism that they can do it on their own than with a partner. 2>1

Not anymore, on the area where they live at. Many decent areas are now priced out and COL just got out of hand to make a few people richer.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Working hard matters but it also depends on WHAT you're working hard towards.

Right now, I'm off the clock but even now, I'm researching jobs, requirements for those jobs, what skills I need, interview prep etc.

You gotta ask yourself is $100k "Enough" ? Or do you want MORE ? IF you want MORE, you start working backwards from there.

BIG GOALS.
SMALL STEPS.

Scaaar

Superstar
Daps
Not anymore, on the area where they live at. Many decent areas are now priced out and COL just got out of hand to make a few people richer.
So you're telling me 2 people making 40-50k a year individually wouldn't be able to live in over a majority of this country?. That's a combined 90-100k if they lived modestly, they could stack bread, pay off debt, and buy a home with a deposit.

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
What does "working hard" mean? What does a "better life" mean?

What if you worked hard at making your life better

exactly. people are really posting charts of how it was back in the day VS now. For who I'm not sure.

Lyfe has never been "easy" ever.
I don't know where these posters come from or what lie people told them. When were we ever supposed to just be handed anything :russ: