People no longer believe working hard will lead to a better life

UpNext

Superstar
Daps
Tbh breh, I strongly believe anyone who say thinks it was "Easy" in the past does not have Black Ancestry.

Like, anyone on this website who's a millenial or even an older Gen Z likely has Grand Parents or Parents who lived through segregation
and the open acceptance of the American Caste system.

If they come from that back ground (any kind of Black AA, Carribean, African etc.), they KNOW what time it is.

My auntie said she was a teacher in Miami making 35k a year in the 70's and had her house paid off before her mid 30's. I asked her what I'd have to be in life to own her house and have it paid off in the same time frame as her with no outer help and she said probably a CEO to a 7 figure company. That's what people are talking about when they say "easier". You have to be a CEO to a 7 figure company to achieve similar economic outcomes as a school teacher in the 70's :martin:

rabbid

Superstar
Daps
Lot of you nikkas just on here bragging like you dont live in America still. i got mines looking ass but half your family in poverty still. that shyt makes me sick. i wish i would be bragging to a bunch of anonymous brehs and thats my only contribution to a topic on collective wealth and general wellbeing.

I'm trying to build a ladder and lift people up. There's alot of gatekeeping and politics keeping hard working people out of the boardroom and anyone thats been in there knows that shyt. Hard work is important but it doesnt guarantee shyt. And everybody not cut out to be a hard worker, doesnt mean they should have to suffer in a first world country. This kind of mindset is corrosive. Some people have disabilites, health issues they have no control over. It aint about all that. I want good people to be healthy and happy.

Sitting here acting like COVID didnt just wipe out hella hard working people forced to go back to work during the pandemic. shyt is crazy how we're back to this bootstraps mindset after so much bullshyt has occured in this country. Hustling hard and end up like Don Breedan from Heat. Thats no way to live. We should all be looking out for each other.

Scaaar

Superstar
Daps
You brother's setup definitely won't work in New England where I live. Regardless of his frugality, it's a paycheck to paycheck lifestyle here. There are more than a few metro areas where $65k for a wife and 2 kids is a struggle life with or without student loans.

I personally think the "Live within your means" argument is irrelevant to the topic of how far your effort alone gets you. It's nothing more than gaslighting by a generation that was suppose to make things better for the ones that come after. 50+ years of stagnant wages and rising cost of living based on local and federal legislation pushed by that same damn generation currently doing the gaslighting.
Okay you just added another factor into the equation. You stay in New England and he's in Texas. The cost of living is different but if he was up there he would be paid a wage comparable to the cost of living due to his career that he worked to obtain. Maybe his wife might have to work to help out but you still control certain aspects of your overhead. So you still can live within your means

But you can blame the previous generation. But if you want true change vote in representatives that will hold these companies responsible for paying a fair and livable wage and not upcharge for stuff.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How old are you? I know people that obtain their MS and then go to professional school for Medicine or Law. The starting salaries of a Medical Professional or Large Firm associate, more than make up for the time spent.

I know an OB GYN who just came out and is making $280k. Only way you’re seeing that money in any field other than medicine or law in your 30’s is if you become a VP at a major bank, are a senior tech associate, or start your own company and have it succeed. I have a BS and MBA and am just under $200k. Not going to go much higher either, but my friend is going to end up making close to $500k a year by the time he’s 40 if he works hard.

Plus, you can start your own practice in either of those fields and earn millions.

Just saw the more detailed response.
This actually gives me a lot to think about.
I actually reached out to a local small community college to check out their
Pre-Medical professional program.
From what I gather they get you all of the classes you need and help with getting the clinical work etc.

MedSchool is currently the backup plan but I'm still working it like a main plan.

The next three years of my life basically look like I'll have very low bandwidth for anything lol. but the potential
income at the end of it all is really appealing. Especially if I do wind up going down the Medical path and matching into something that pays well.

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
Yeah but it's not like that makes up a majority of financial success. A lot of people gotta grind from the gutter, especially black folks.
We live in a world where the world's richest people pretend they worked their way from nothing when they nearly all got funding from family. (Bill Gates, Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, Warren Buffet, etc. )

I'm not trying to be a defeatest, but a realist. I'm old enough to have lived through a drastically different USA where there was far more opportunity and the general cost of living was far cheaper.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
In most scenarios it's better to work hard.

You went to ivy league? Thats the very definition of working hard brehette.:russ: You cant tell me it was easy.

The only people who make money doing the bare minimum are kids of rich parents or very tight niche clubs, people who know people
You’re right. When I read working hard I was thinking of just work - 9-5. But yes, there’s some part of your life you’ll need to put effort into unless you were born rich. Mine was school, others it’s their career

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My auntie said she was a teacher in Miami making 35k a year in the 70's and had her house paid off before her mid 30's. I asked her what I'd have to be in life to own her house and have it paid off in the same time frame as her with no outer help and she said probably a CEO to a 7 figure company. That's what people are talking about when they say "easier". You have to be a CEO to a 7 figure company to achieve similar economic outcomes as a school teacher in the 70's :martin:
You do not need to be a CEO breh.

You do need a high paying career though.

And if the city itself isn't an option, you gotta move further out.

A paid off home is still very possible but you have to adjust expectations.

You don't need seven figures to enjoy life, I assure you.

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
We live in a world where the world's richest people pretend they worked their way from nothing when they nearly all got funding from family. (Bill Gates, Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, Warren Buffet, etc. )

I'm not trying to be a defeatest, but a realist. I'm old enough to have lived through a drastically different USA where there was far more opportunity and the general cost of living was far cheaper.

You named the 1% who's.......1% of the population.

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
Okay you just added another factor into the equation. You stay in New England and he's in Texas. The cost of living is different but if he was up there he would be paid a wage comparable to the cost of living due to his career that he worked to obtain. Maybe his wife might have to work to help out but you still control certain aspects of your overhead. So you still can live within your means

But you can blame the previous generation. But if you want true change vote in representatives that will hold these companies responsible for paying a fair and livable wage and not upcharge for stuff.
Nope. Your original comment I quoted was this, "So you're telling me 2 people making 40-50k a year individually wouldn't be able to live in over a majority of this country?" You then brought up your brother, so I gave a specific example of location. It's not a new factor, but factor you brought up. And no the pay increase your bother would get in New England would not cover for his increased cost of living. His wife would also struggle to work as daycare cost are very high here as well. Just like NYC, New England is simply a more expensive area to live in. Most major metro areas are expensive to live in, though.

voiture

Superstar
Daps
No it isn't. In the midwest and south there's plenty of homes around $150k -$250k. My parents just bought a house for $140k not great, but a good starter and in a good area.
Google average cost of a home in Google or chatgpt and post. I will wait

getmoney310cpt

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Compton CA/Rosecrans Ave
Society cooked if true. Working harder is almost never a bad thing. shyt gonna get spooky when the old school generation passes on.
I think about this often future doesn’t look good..older millennials and generation X the last hope and it’s not looking good

Last edited: