People no longer believe working hard will lead to a better life

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Doing the bare minimum will keep you from climbing the ladder though. I know a lot of people who do the bare minimum and they go nowhere in life. People working at Walmart all throughout their 20s and 30s, next thing you know, they're still working the same position at 70

If you do the bare minimum how will you job hop and get a 30% raise?
Lol @ comparing doing the bare minimum at Walmart to working professionals. Sure, if you want to climb the corporate ladder, you gotta work and suck some mean dikk, those of use who get to a comfortable level and not really looking to ascend, you don’t need to go all out.

It has worked for me just fine :manny:

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
There’s factors that go with that working hard. You have to be willing to do things like leaving your hometown to find a higher paying job. People give years working hard for one company at home and only getting cents on the dollar for raises. The first job that I took away from my hometown offered me like a dollar more to go there… It wasn’t much obviously, but I took it in hopes that it would lead me into getting more money later. Well I moved to the Charlotte area after that and now I’m making more than I’d ever make back home. You can’t work hard and stay stagnant. There’s levels to it. It took me awhile to get to where I can put money to the side that I don’t miss but I’m here. That was not an option for me 15 years ago.

Last edited:

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I believe working hard pays off.
My life got totally upended last year.

I always tell Coli brehs to prepare for tomorrow.

If I hadn't set myself up for today by getting a Bachelor's degree, networking like crazy, living below my means and saving like
a mad man. I would NOT be chilling like I am right now.

I'm going to keep working hard, finish my MS, work towards that $200K total compensation and keep growing my real
estate empire.

You gotta work both HARD and SMART.

Where I was working before, just using my hands, many people told me "Bro, you made it! Look at how much you're making! Why are you continuing your education?".

Now I make more, doing less and in ~6 years maybe less, I fully expect work to be optional.

KEEP.
GOING.

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
Anytime someone says “Don’t hard, work smart” ask them to expound on it.

They will then list off feats that require hard work, if they don’t retort with some bullshyt non-answer like: “If I have to tell you then you already lost, etc.”, because there is no shortcut for hard work, regardless of the route.

Yeah exactly.

Lol @ comparing doing the bare minimum at Walmart to working professionals. Sure, if you want to climb the corporate ladder, you gotta work and suck some mean dikk, those of use who get to a comfortable level and not really looking to ascend, you don’t need to go all out.

It has worked for me just fine :manny:

And those same bare minimum people will complain about 3% raises and inflation. Suck dikk is a sorry assumption considering you should be job hopping.

Someone who learns everything at a company will make more than someone who just cruises. Only way the bare minimum worker wins is if they know people. But that bare minimum shyt will get you no one.

Work hard learn as much as possible in 2 years, then job hop. That's how you go from $55k to $80k to $100k.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't know how brehs feel about stepping into that managerial arena and climbing but the compensation
I want either comes from:
Finishing my PreMed Prereqs, dropping my MS/DS and studying for the MCAT
or
Getting in that pit of snakes and trying to climb the ladder.

Either path seems fraught with bullshyt but one gives me money way faster.

I want to get to a Senior Middle Mgmt position and just coast to riches tbh.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Yeah exactly.

And those same bare minimum people will complain about 3% raises and inflation. Suck dikk is a sorry assumption considering you should be job hopping.

Someone who learns everything at a company will make more than someone who just cruises. Only way the bare minimum worker wins is if they know people. But that bare minimum shyt will get you no one.

Work hard learn as much as possible in 2 years, then job hop. That's how you go from $55k to $80k to $100k.
Breh, you feel free to believe that.

My philosophy has worked fine for me. I’m clearing the goal amount I set for myself coming out of business school and not killing myself to do it.

AtomicUse

Superstar
Daps
Yeah exactly.

From what I recall the poster you’re quoting @dora_da_destroyer has two Ivy-League degrees and is a Senior Level Tech associate on the west coast. $100k wouldn’t get you a talented intern over there so I don’t think the argument tracks in that arena, but does for middle of the pack people.

AtomicUse

Superstar
Daps
I don't know how brehs feel about stepping into that managerial arena and climbing but the compensation
I want either comes from:
Finishing my PreMed Prereqs, dropping my MS/DS and studying for the MCAT
or
Getting in that pit of snakes and trying to climb the ladder.

Either path seems fraught with bullshyt but one gives me money way faster.

I want to get to a Senior Middle Mgmt position and just coast to riches tbh.
How old are you? I know people that obtain their MS and then go to professional school for Medicine or Law. The starting salaries of a Medical Professional or Large Firm associate, more than make up for the time spent.

I know an OB GYN who just came out and is making $280k. Only way you’re seeing that money in any field other than medicine or law in your 30’s is if you become a VP at a major bank, are a senior tech associate, or start your own company and have it succeed. I have a BS and MBA and am just under $200k. Not going to go much higher either, but my friend is going to end up making close to $500k a year by the time he’s 40 if he works hard.

Plus, you can start your own practice in either of those fields and earn millions.

Last edited:

Based Lord Zedd

Colts or Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston TX
From what I recall the poster you’re quoting @dora_da_destroyer has two Ivy-League degrees and is a Senior Level Tech associate on the west coast. $100k wouldn’t get you a talented intern over there so I don’t think the argument tracks in that arena, but does for middle of the pack people.

Anyone with two Ivy league degrees either worked hard or is an exception to the rule.

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Hard Work is not working is a systemic critique on capitalism & nepotism that occurs this society. If ppl believe that, it's what they see that goes on around them and what they were "promised."

• Housing expensive regardless whether you want to own or rent
  • Health care expensive
  • Ppl are working 2-3 jobs get by
To name a few things.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
It won't...and it never did. Some of the hardest working people in society are broke. People are working 2 or 3 jobs just to afford the basics. That shyt was something rich people came up with to convince everyone else to work harder for them.

While you're generally correct, there was a time period from the 1940s through the 1970s when hard work really paid off. The average union job was enough to build up to a down payment on a house without too much stress and build up your net worth to the point that by the time your kids were wrong, you were doing substantially better than your own parents were doing. You didn't need a college degree for that, you didn't need entrepreneurial skills, you just need to land a decent job and do it, and you were pretty much set. Minimum wage was high, taxes on the rich were high, and unions could negotiate good deals for their workers.

Unfortunately, a$$holes like Milton Friedman were pushing libertarianism and trickle-down economics, claiming that the key to national success would be to destroy unions, forget about social programs, slash regulations that keep companies in check, slash taxes on the wealthy, and just let CEOs do whatever they want. The assumption (they claimed) was that such a system would lead to unimaginable profits that would trickle down to the worker who couldn't help but be better off in an economy where corporations had true freedom.

Reagan took him up on it, and by the time Democrats got in power again they were basically corporate Dems like Clinton and Biden who practiced the exact same bullshyt in a softer way. And that's how we got the economy we have today. The % of economic gain that goes to the working and lower middle class has been virtually nothing since 1980.

Personally, I think that everyone who works 40 productive hours a week should be able to afford a place to live of their own (not rental), healthy food, quality health care, and a decent education for their kids. That's the bare basics, and our country could easily afford it. Instead, we've created a system where half the country struggles to get one or more of those things while the top 10-20% are doing great, the top 1% are becoming feudal lords with a labor supply absolutely under their thumb at all times, and the billionaires on the top are basically living like gods.

Adeptus Astartes

Loyal servant of the God-Brehmperor
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Imperium of Man
So much boomer babble itt. Your father's and grandfather's generation could afford a single family home on factory wages.

Also:
2022CEOPay4-950x950.png

Were slowly sliding into neo Feudalism, and you wonder why no one believes in the "hard work" narrative anymore.