People no longer believe working hard will lead to a better life

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
"Fifty-six per cent of the surveyed global population said capitalism in its current form does more harm than good in the world."

I've never even heard of this "news outlet"

this some clickbait shyt.

ABC is the most prestigious news outlet in Australia. It's their version of the BBC.

They've been around nearly 100 years. The fact that you haven't heard of them says more about you than them.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
This is the participation trophy generation. Everyone wants a medal without doing any of the work. I remember growing up my dad telling me as a man you're job is to work hard and you're not gonna be able to take your first vacation until you're in your 40s.

Imagine sacrificing the best 25 years of your time on Earth just to make profit for some piece of shyt owner, then finally take your first vacation at the same time your health is starting to go downhill. What a life to shoot for! That's some real shyt, man. Heart attack at 53 and your gravestone reads, "Here lies bootlicker, son of a bootlicker."

Are you aware that in many European countries, 6-7 weeks of vacation a year is standard? What do you do with that information? How do you process that and decide that just enriching your bosses for the majority of your career is a superior direction for society to shoot for?

ZEupTWN

Mid|Range|Game|
Daps
Do what you feel works for you straight up

This the Information age their no set blueprint to this shxt anymore never has been really…

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How old are you? I know people that obtain their MS and then go to school for Medicine or Law. The salaries more than make up for the time spent.
Early 30s :(
Because of this, I'm aiming for a higher tier professional role that isn't in Medicine or Law which also doesn't saddle me
with too much debt. I'm basically balancing my options right now while still keeping my personal life somewhat open
(I regularly visit LA to network, meet musicians, perform etc.)

I'm already in a MS/DS program with the the goal of transitioning to FANNG/MANGA in two years time.

But I've heavily considered medicine despite it being roughly ~7 years until I see a return on investment.
(IF I get the job I want in two years, my base salary is like ~$150k before RSUs. At which point, Medicine
isn't an appealing choice).

So I'm kinda at a crossroads in life as far as Education+Additional Money vs. Having more of a social life.

I'm giving myself roughly two years to figure out what I'm doing until I retire. lol.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Anyone with two Ivy league degrees either worked hard or is an exception to the rule.
I will say I put in work in school and that’s where I maxed out. :heh: I am not a good worker, I do good work, but I am not one to put in 110% and play a bunch of office politics for rewards. When a role is getting stale and/or I maxed the salary band, I’m out.

Based Lord Zedd

Colts or Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston TX
I will say I put in work in school and that’s where I maxed out. :heh: I am not a good worker, I do good work, but I am not one to put in 110% and play a bunch of office politics for rewards. When a role is getting stale and/or I maxed the salary band, I’m out.

That's fair. I'd still say you're proof hard work leads to a better life. You got an education that most people wouldn't be smart enough or have the discipline to get.

That allows you to coast more now, but as you said had to put in work.

Pool_Shark

Can’t move with me in this digital space
Daps
What does "working hard" mean? What does a "better life" mean?

What if you worked hard at making your life better

BK The Great

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
BK NY
The new motto was work smarter and not harder. Everything expensive and it’s not getting any easier.

UpNext

Superstar
Daps
Man the biggest issue with y'all work hard mfs is that it's like you completely ignore the luck factor to it all. All it takes is two timely setbacks in your building phase and even the hardest working individual is fukked if they don't come from money to weather those storms.

Government is supposed to help you during those setbacks but it seems to be a force of nature that creates the conditions for those setbacks to occur.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
"Posted 20 Jan 2020"

Anyways - my work hard paid off. Thank GOD.

Scaaar

Superstar
Daps
My income has doubled in the last 2 yrs by grinding and getting a promotion. But I also live way below my means so I have a bit more overhead to adjust for inflation. In this economy thats focused on consumerism and materialistic purchases alot of people are underwater trying to appear that they have wealth that they're trapped in a hole.